Restringing AND cleaning a Floyd Rose Guitar

ShredCow

Restringing AND cleaning a Floyd Rose Guitar or any of its LICENSED counterparts

Ok guys, this tutorial is ideally suited for the following Floyd Rose models:
  • Original Floyd Rose (Includes all OFR models except Speedloader)
    Schaller Licensed Floyd Rose (Includes all Schaller Licensed FR models)
    Gotoh Licensed Floyd Rose
    Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, TRS (and its variants), ILT1, Edge Pro III
    ALL Licensed Floyds

For other models like the Ibanez ZR trem, Edge Pro, Edge Pro II and whatever locking floyd system out there, most of this tutorial SHOULD work on it.

Also, note that this tutorial deals with a FULL removal of strings. Not a 1 by 1 replacement of strings. Why so? Because with a Full Removal, you can clean up the trem cavity and all the gunk in your trem. By right, without string breakage, you should only change strings once a mth, by then, its high time for a clean up. Unless you play in a dust free environment. ;)

All the stuff that's here is really up to you to try out, if you dare to, that is. :) So here goes.

You got to change your strings on your FR axe. So... these are the things you absolutely need at hand:

• Allen Wrench (To open locking nuts and to loosen string clamps)
    Screwdriver (cross head)
    String cutter
    That thing you use to help turn your tuners? Tuner turner?
    Guitar Tuner
    Material for a Trem Jammer (Note its NOT a tremolo block, the big metal block of the trem where the springs hook onto, thats the trem block)

Now this trem jammer is just something used to jam the trem so tuning up is easier. It can be made of a deck of cards, a couple of hard erasers, piece of wood, just something hard. Its meant to be used in a couple of places.

• 1) Under the trem's fine tuners.
    So it blocks the trem from moving down. Not very recommended because its harder to remove

2) Inside the trem cavity, infront of the trem block. (Trem cannot pull up)
    Not very recommended as the springs will hook over the trem block and jammer will really get jammed.

3) Inside the trem cavity, behind the trem block. (Trem cannot dive bomb)
    This is what I do... yes, you might have to fiddle with the trem claw screws but thats not a big problem.

Ok, now that you have the equipment, lets note something very very important.

At all times, use TENDER LOVING CARE on the instrument. Most of the screw, allen screws and tightenable parts are only to be tightened FINGER TIGHT. Absolutely no brute force is required. You ruin a screws or allen screw, you will have to get screw remover tools to get that thing out, and screw removers aren't the nicest tools around. If that don't work, then you will have to DRILL IT OUT. So don't force your way around things ya? :)

Lets go...

Take off the tremolo cavity cover.
Now, unscrew the screws carefully, they are drilled into wood.

Create a Trem Jammer
Fill up the behind of the trem block with your trem jammer material. Remember to get your trem at PERFECT floating point. For whats your trem's floating point, check your respective trem brand's website... Basically, the knife edge will have to be perpendicular to the trem posts.
For Ibanez ppl, look here. Edge Floating Point

Ok, with your Trem Jammer ready, you will now...

Take off the Trem Springs
2 ways to go abt this.
Use an Allen wrench and yank off the strings.
OR
Plug in your trem arm, flip guitar over, place guitar on your lap so that the trem arm is pushing (well, the guitar is upside down) the trem down (doing a pull up). THEN use an Allen wrench and pull of the strings.

Take off the Trem
Carefully lift out the trem and then start to remove the strings. So you will have a nice piece of equipment that costs a couple hundred in your hands. Put that aside and MAKE SURE THE STRING BLOCK DO NOT FALL OUT.

Remove old strings
You can either slide the strings thru the locking nut, or take off the locking pads totally and remove the strings. Do take off the locking pads unless you want the wound strings to shave off your locking nut's finish. You can cut them anyway to make life easier.

CLEAN the guitar.
Polish the head and tuners... clean up the locking nut... clean the fretboard, oil it, clean frets... clean guitar body...trem cavity... blah blah blah... For the trem, you can use cotton ear buds dipped in some Dunlop 65 cleaning fluid, to reach those hard to get places. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, spray ANYTHING onto the trem. NO WD-4D. NOTHING.
If you really want to clean up the trem, you can remove the intonation screws and move the saddles aside, but of course, you'll lose your intonation.. but thats not too hard to set... if you are not confident, then don't.

Reinstall trem
Place the trem back in the cavity. No need to attach the strings yet.

Install new strings
Ok, for this, I recommend stringing the guitar with the ball end of the strings at the head. Why? You will never have a scratched up guitar bag. You will never get stabbed by that high e string again. You will however, find it just a bit weird, which is really no problem at all. Which ever method you choose, plonk in the Low E string (how much slack? Refer below) ... CUT OFF EXCESS. (How much to cut? Refer below) lock it to the trem. Tighten the Low E till the trem starts to rise just a bit.
Flip the guitar over carefully, don't let the trem drop out, use the trem arm if you have to, and install the springs with the help of the allen wrench to pull.
Install the rest of the strings, don't worry abt tension, just make sure they aren't slack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much slack to give the strings?
Low E - Half-way-around-guitar-tuner worth of slack. Doesn't break unless you make it break so no need for slack.
A - Half way around.
D - Half to one time around.
G - 3 rounds.
B - 6 rounds.
E - 6 - 8 rounds.

Why so much slack on the high strings? In case they break (usually at the trem) , you can just run some slack off the tuner and reclamp the string to the trem. Tune up and you are ready to go again. :)

Usually, 1st timers over compensate... with experience, you'll know how much string to cut off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all the strings in, its time to...

TUNE UP!!!
Plonk in the trem jammer. Now, two things will happen.
  • a) The trem jammer will squeeze in nicely and bring the trem back up to floating point.

b) The trem jammer wouldn't fit in because the string tension is too low.

If its (a), GOOD FOR YOU!!! Just tune the guitar up with the trem jammer in place... should the trem jammer come loose before you finish tuning, that means then spring tension is too high, take the screw driver and carefully loosen the trem claw screws. (the big screws that go into the guitar body and hold the trem springs) After some time, the tuning will be PERFECT but the trem jammer is still stuck in there... when that happens, all you have to do is just remove the trem jammer, check tuning. If its shaper on the lower strings (E, A and D), just loosen the trem claw screw thats on the bass side. If flat, tighten the screw. Do the same to the higher strings (E, B and G). Remember, that any adjustment on a floating trem system affects ALL strings so if you tighten the bass side claw strings, check the treble strings tuning...

If its (b), you will have either tighten your strings or loosen your claw screws, till the trem jammer can squeeze in. I recommend you tighten your strings, especially the bass strings. Then do the above.

Fine Tune Up...
With all that restring, loosening/tightening trem claws and what not, the strings should be stretched nicely. So use the fine tuners and play your heart out with your nicely cleans and finely tuned Floyd Rose! :)

Hope this help... ITS TERRIFYINGLY LONG. I hope I didn't miss out anything... those of you pro re-stringers, pitch in ya? I gotta go to bed. 8)

kudos to Shredcow! This is a very comprehensive and concise guide.
unfortunately, I can see that I am doing things in a , should I say, unorthodox, way.
Daniel, would you care for a live demonstration at your covenience? As I am quite muddled about some of the exact terminology and can't exactly follow...

Btw, here's a pic of my guitar with the ball end of the string at the tuners.

GotohDeltaTunersinstalled.jpg

It works man... it works... :)

I dont see the real advantage since this kind of string install is only possible on double locking guitars, and since you already double lock it, the effect is actually lost.

One advantage is that since the ball is anchored to the peg, your tuning up is less easy to slip.

But the disadvantage is that for one the extra length could wrap over the ball, which is a bit unsightly. (you still need about 2 rounds around the peg for stability)

The other disadvantage is that the ball since anchored to the peg hole, could scratch the 'peg hole opening' worse than just the string alone.

Also since the end is opposite, you have a harder time estimating the length to cut off at the bridge locking side.

Sometimes when a thing is designed in one way, it work best that way.

agree with mikemann... the string is not meant to be string ballend first at the headstock... well i don't know better though. :p

here's how i string my guitars anyway:

washburnmg74headstock.jpg

it seems really crude but i just put my string thru & turn AWAY from me until it comes in tune. then i just wind my strings around the tuner head for a bit to get a curl on the string and i snip off the excess.

Shredcow...ur guitar so shining...haha..

i string my guitar almost the same way..but the ball end will protude a bit..
thank u for for the illustration..

mikemann said:
I dont see the real advantage since this kind of string install is only possible on double locking guitars, and since you already double lock it, the effect is actually lost.

Hmmm.... what effect is lost Mikemann?

mikemann said:
One advantage is that since the ball is anchored to the peg, your tuning up is less easy to slip.

This is a big advantage, especially for double locking guitars. Why? Because whenever a string breaks, we can unlock the nut and unravel the string without worrying that it might come off the tuner. :) So usually, I run the e and B string about 6 times ard the tuner...

mikemann said:
But the disadvantage is that for one the extra length could wrap over the ball, which is a bit unsightly. (you still need about 2 rounds around the peg for stability)

Well, then don't wrap it around the ball. ;) Its easy to do it. Plus, you don't need 2 rounds (or any minimum amount) around the peg for stability... the ball end locks it firmly against the tuner..

mikemann said:
The other disadvantage is that the ball since anchored to the peg hole, could scratch the 'peg hole opening' worse than just the string alone.

Hmmm... why would it scratch the peg hole if the string was carefully pulled thru? The ball end should be pull thru the peg hole till it can't go thru anymore... so the ball end is against the peg... that shouldn't cause any problems..

mikemann said:
Also since the end is opposite, you have a harder time estimating the length to cut off at the bridge locking side.

This is a drawback.. but well, it just takes some time to get used to it... ;)

mikemann said:
Sometimes when a thing is designed in one way, it work best that way.

Well, I feel this is something that only takes some getting used to... and I believe it has more disadvantages over the normal way of stringing in the context of a double locking guitar. :)

thor666 said:
here's how i string my guitars anyway:.

Hi thor666,
can u tell me or show me how the other end of the string is like on the trem ? u snip off the string ball and fix it in the saddle ? i'm lost here ... thanks.

Hi shredcow, sorry I didn't see your reply before, so did not follow up.

My meaning is that since your FR guitar is already double locked from the nut to the bridge. The length between the nut and the tuners do not effect the tuning or stability once you lock it. Thus the effect of you using ball end at tuner is lost once you lock your strings.

I do notice that you are puting up a reply on my every point just to make an arguement that you don't see anything wrong with "ball end at tip".

I'm cool with that. People can do what they want to their own guitar anyway, if they choose your method just to look cool and have a talking point, I think that its enough reason to justify the "ball end at tip" method. No harm in that.

Mechnically wise, I not think is wise. I stick to missionary position. :wink:

Cheers, I finished my 2bits on this tread. peace. 8)

I heeded ShredCow advice on putting the ball-end of the through the headstock & its perfect, not dangling & safer as it does not scratch my guit bag :) Haven't got a chance to thank ShredCow for introducing this method!! :D

Gerard, shredcow ... it this method applicable for washburn guitar ? sorry cos it's my 1st floyd rose ... :oops:

the sabble dont seem to have space for the balls ... b4 i took em off, the string in it has no ball attached.

Hmm

Depending on what kinda bridge u r using?

Mine is a Lo TRS II & the bridge end does not have space for the ball-end of the string to go thru so I put my ball-end thru the headstock.

ShredCow can give u more advice...

woo ... ok, manage to get those string up and running ... damn, 3 hours ... :oops: the string tension not really relax ... think need to retune yet again ... haiz.

ooh yes, few qqn here .. at 1st i anyhow fix the saddle on, then found out the saddle not same height ?

the saddle behind got numbers 1, 2, 3 one pair each ... does that means the pair 1 is for highE and B string, the pair 2 for G and D string and the part 3 for A and lowE string ?

screw back the saddle but then, how to determine the distance ? rite now like got intonation prob. open E ok, but at 12th fret the E slight higher and at the 24th fret oso higher ... still E but just not rite ... how to get the intonation ?

thanks in advance guys

mikemann said:
Mechnically wise, I not think is wise. I stick to missionary position.

hahahaha!!! What a term to use Mikemann!!! :)

Anyway, yeah... I would think that "ball end at tip" is really a nothing wrong thing but true, let it be up to individual... :) You should try it you know.. you might be converted!

SpaTanS said:
Gerard, shredcow ... it this method applicable for washburn guitar ? sorry cos it's my 1st floyd rose ... :oops:

the sabble dont seem to have space for the balls ... b4 i took em off, the string in it has no ball attached.

A normal floyd rose guitar cannot have the ball end of strings in it. You will have to cut off the ball end to put the string thru, or do the above method.

There are a few floyd rose bridges that allow you to put ball ends thru it like the old Yamaha TRS trems, the new Ibanez Edge Pro and Edge Pro II... but I don't think your guitar will have them!

Latest posts

Back