Recording through amps

old skool

VCO : do you have sample of that recording of the peavey bandit? very interested to check it out

hi bro, my media is recorded onto a 2inch tape and belongs to a studio which already non-existence. And the old Bandit 12 (now 112) belongs to the studio too. But you can PM me for tips lor. Now we have SD recorder, we can trial & error til we get the sound image that we want. Am more first line of amplification, old skool la bro. I use less digital sound (plug-ins e.g.), i feel it is clinical, personal taste (IMO).

Blueprintstudio, yes I guess routing to external guitar processors is possible. Yes, my soundcard is multi-client capable, as with most soundcards nowadays. Of course, the real issue here is getting hardware and latency with the routing. Virtually everything is now software for me. Sold off all my hardware years ago when I decided to go the softsampling path instead of hardware modules. But if it's worth getting better sound, it may be worth pursuing that. Thanks! Must see one day how you use different mics to mic the one amp and how all the signals are mixed.

You do the same for basses?

VCO : icic, oh no la I was more wanting to hear the audio sample of it. thanks!

Cheez : latency wise shouldn't be much of a prob. at most "shift back" only lor.. and you only need to do that one time process for that sound sample.

the mics used sometimes depends on the genre. the preference of tone by the guitarist etc. basically I just record multiple sources and even if I know i'll just be using the dynamic mic's mostly I just record for the sake of safety, like in case maybe the mic blow or it was clipping at some points which I wasn't aware of and becomes unusable. I still got other mic tracks.

yeah bass also. usually bass amp mic up using a "kickdrum mic" + I use a dynamic mic that picks up mid high frequencies better. if not condenser or DI lor. but i got limited large diaphragm condenser, if I use that for vocals most likely i won't use that for bass. just to have more .. "variety". I tried recording an entire song with almost the same mic before. sounds terrible and very hard to mix because it's so "muddy"

That's why samples are much easier for us non-recording engineers (ie keyboardists). The hard work of recording including selection of mics etc are all done. We just need to get the final product (processing) right. Unforunately, that also limits us. Unless the sample producers use modelling technology, there's no way to "change" mics. We get one type of sound - then process it. But then for us non sound-engineers, we aren't that picky. I'm sure it would be for the sound-engineers.

yeah i've always thought for composers, as long as the sample sounds good, and it fits well with the song, all you gotta do is mix it nicely so it sits. more important is the choice of samples/composition,producer/mixing.

Oh by the way, when I say samples, I mean multisamples not loops. Loops limits creativity big time. With multisamples, I basically play every possible instrument with my keyboard - from the accordion to the xylophone. I never use loops.

There are multisamples for everything! I got for some guitars (some Strat but not excellent). I also got Scarbee's Black Bass (DI version) and Yellow Tools Bass. Actually, the best multi-sampled guitar (non-acoustic) would be the Prominy LPC (Les Paul). One look at their video demo and you'll be convinced you won't need a real guitar player in your recording session again...

http://www.prominy.com/les.htm

Best acoustic multi-sample guitar (nylon string) would have to be the VSL Classical Guitar.

Best basses are of course Scarbee, who's also a bass player. Listen and you'll also be convinced you won't need a bass player in your recording. In fact, many bassists complained when Scarbee came up with his first bass library.

http://www.scarbee.com/

I'm anti-loop. The only loop I may use is in electronic music when the loops themselves are unusual rhythms with wierd textures and ambience. Anything else that came from an instrument should be played like an instrument - my opinion.

Anyway, we're deviating from the main topic of the thread.

Last edited:
ah okay.. damn the audio technology is scary. it's still fake in a way but for a "midi keyboard", it's a stepping stone.

but yeah so far I think most ppl have highlighted the methods possible to do the recording man

Don't want to leave the topic too far behind, it's true that no matter how real samples are, it will still sound different. Therefore the keyboardist sequencing it MUST know the instrument very well. Knowing how to play the instrument is best.

Must try out all your suggestions and see if the "virtual" recording can be close to the "real" deal.

cheez, u have NI Guitar Rig right? Do u have the Rig Kontrol?

i tink guitar rig with the rig kontrol suits your music and your recording setup.

the sound is not bad at all.

Rig Kontrol is for live guitarists. It's not necessary for studio purposes. All the functions can be attained from the DAW and midi controller.

I'm not sure about slide guitar, but there are fretless basses. Multisamples nowadays samples the intervals between 2 notes being played as well, something we call "true legato". Say a flute - playing 2 notes (say from C to G) is more than just 2 notes. The legato between the 2 notes are actually sampled to give that "in-between" sound. And they sample EACH interval possible (ie C to C#, C to D, C to D# etc). That's how realistic it gets. Guitars and basses as well - each intervals are being sampled nowadays. Because computers are not as limited in RAM as keyboards, this is possible only on PCs and not on sound modules or keyboards. So slides between guitars are already done. But the actual slide guitar playing - not sure if that's done yet. But not difficult to do.

Don't need preamp - as I said, all my sounds are virtual (multisamples). Routing all internal. No real guitar. And definitely don't need it to be audio interface as my RME is way better than Rig Kontrol. The Rig Kontrol is designed for the guitarist recording/gigging on his guitar. Not so in me case. Even if I need to record a real guitar, there are better preamps out there.

I don't know but my Ibanez X30R directly recorded does sound good. Never tried the mic techniques. I hear all sorts of ideas like two mics to front of amp and one at the back "listening" to the cone, then the DI to a DI splitter (if using effect boxes) like what echoist mentioned to get a clean and a processed output (I would use this one to scrutinize the track if the primary source is a distorted signal, not actually make it part of the session).

I'm still quite uncomfortable using software effects to process guitar signals, yeah you can call me the analogue guy, but a beez-modded DS-1 == win.

Back