Pedals or multi efx ?

zyang

Hi everyone.

So recently im getting rid of my gt-8. It's totally not portable and freaking hell heavy when carrying to the studio.

After much consideration , im stuck between either getting single pedals or zoom g2.1nu efx.

For me , i rely a lot on the expression pedals for volume and it's very hard for me to get rid of that habit.

since on the 2nd hand market the zoom g2.1nu are selling at around 200 ? why not get single pedals since they aren't that expensive compared to the zoom.

And another thing is that i only use a few effect such as overdrive , delay , chorus.
I already had a dd-3 at home so all that im left is overdrive , chorus and a tuner.

I'm not really familiar with pedals. So may i ask if there is any pedals that combines both the volume and wah in one ?

And here's another idea that i've got. Should i get both ? eg: i get a overdrive pedal and a zoom g2.1nu ?
The g2.1nu will mainly be used for reverb , chorus , flanger , tuner etc. Those effects that i seldom use.

Really appreciate the help that i can get ! Thanks a lot !
And sorry for my poor grammer .
Cheers ! :D:D

Bro,

To dispel a myth, single pedals CAN cost more than the Zoom g2, depending on brand and tonal quality you're looking for? For example, the Timmy pedal is usually sold at $240 onwards for a 2nd hand price.

There are no volume and wah 2 in 1 pedals for single unit stompboxes.

If te weight of the pedal is the only reason you're planning to change. I'd say man up and just carry that thing around. Next time, you'll look like body builder hahah.

I mean, unless you don't like the tones on the gt8 then change it. Don't fix something that ain't broke.

If you die die have to change, I would say, get single pedals if you don't have a low budget and since you only need a few pedals. A lot of people combine multi effects with stomp boxes, but make sure you choose the correct multi effects haha. Some of them will really suck the shit out of your stomp boxes

Bro,

To dispel a myth, single pedals CAN cost more than the Zoom g2, depending on brand and tonal quality you're looking for? For example, the Timmy pedal is usually sold at $240 onwards for a 2nd hand price.

There are no volume and wah 2 in 1 pedals for single unit stompboxes.

Thanks a lot for you info !
But currently im targeting boss overdrive pedals which on the 2nd hand market cost around $100 ?
And i think i will be using both g2.1nu multi efx and single pedals together.
But the thing is, is it possible to use both the zoom and single pedals together ? and will it sound awful?

Cheers ! :D

Hi everyone.

So recently im getting rid of my gt-8. It's totally not portable and freaking hell heavy when carrying to the studio.

After much consideration , im stuck between either getting single pedals or zoom g2.1nu efx.

For me , i rely a lot on the expression pedals for volume and it's very hard for me to get rid of that habit.

since on the 2nd hand market the zoom g2.1nu are selling at around 200 ? why not get single pedals since they aren't that expensive compared to the zoom.

And another thing is that i only use a few effect such as overdrive , delay , chorus.
I already had a dd-3 at home so all that im left is overdrive , chorus and a tuner.

I'm not really familiar with pedals. So may i ask if there is any pedals that combines both the volume and wah in one ?

And here's another idea that i've got. Should i get both ? eg: i get a overdrive pedal and a zoom g2.1nu ?
The g2.1nu will mainly be used for reverb , chorus , flanger , tuner etc. Those effects that i seldom use.

Really appreciate the help that i can get ! Thanks a lot !
And sorry for my poor grammer .
Cheers ! :D:D

You wanna consider a Zoom MS-50G with a vol pedal? So you kinda only need to bring out 2 pedals only.

well I am opposite of you, changing from single pedals to a multieffect because my board became insanely heavy. Multieffects are generally not considered heavy actually

since you want to save weight as much as possible, I recommend these two:

zoom: ms-50G
this single pedal sized multi effect can handle your overdrive, chorus, delay, tuner needs. I know city music is the dealer, but not sure if they bring it in
item_feature_10019_3413.jpg

morley: mini morley wah volume
step on the footswitch to switch over to wah pedal mode. davis guitar is the dealer, so you might want to check with them for stock
dmwv.jpg

these two pedals together should weight very little, and the zoom should be able to tank your g.a.s. which probably would grow ha XD

hmm once you start switching to single pedals you will have the tendency to think

oh maybe i should get a little boost to complement my distortion pedal,

then,

aw, maybe i need an eq to make my tones cut through the mix a little

then,
the thinking an gasing just keeps going on until you end with a pedalboard that is much heavier than your gt-8 and can probably achieve much less

if you get the morley wah/volume pedal you will not be able to control the overall volume of your sound as the volume pedal will essentially only act like the volume knob on your guitar

perhaps you can look at small multi-effect units that excels in their amp simulations such as the tonelab st , stomplab or the tonelab ex. The ex has an advantage over the smaller pedals in that it has a switch that allows you to engage between wah/wham or volume if i am not mistaken

hmm once you start switching to single pedals you will have the tendency to think

oh maybe i should get a little boost to complement my distortion pedal,

then,

aw, maybe i need an eq to make my tones cut through the mix a little

then,
the thinking an gasing just keeps going on until you end with a pedalboard that is much heavier than your gt-8 and can probably achieve much less

if you get the morley wah/volume pedal you will not be able to control the overall volume of your sound as the volume pedal will essentially only act like the volume knob on your guitar

perhaps you can look at small multi-effect units that excels in their amp simulations such as the tonelab st , stomplab or the tonelab ex. The ex has an advantage over the smaller pedals in that it has a switch that allows you to engage between wah/wham or volume if i am not mistaken

Well.. you have a very good point there. I've heard a lot about the tonelab series. But my question are : how heavy are they ? What's the difference between the ST and EX? and is Tonelab better compared to the gt-8 ?

I did a quick search on the net and found out that the EX's expression pedal is able to control the wah and mainly the volume which is definitely a great thing.

But basically the difference between the ST and the EX is the number of efx available ?

Anw thanks a lot for you input. And hey ! you did a good job with the daiso pedaltrain ! (Y)

EDIT: Tonelab ST weighs 1.8kg , Tonelab EX weighs 3kg , GT-8 weighs 4.8kg
Tonelab ST really surprise me !

Last edited:
Which pedal is better than the other is an age old argument which is really subjective to the player's ears. Hence, I think you gotta go out and try those pedals for yourself.

Last edited:
Back