noob to effects, please give me summary

nitrovo

I know pretty much nothing about effects. I know you have pedals and racks, but dont know what they all mean.

Can someone please give me a summary of the main effects (e.g whats chorus and flanger) and anything else I should know :)

thankyou

hold on, I'll dig out my mini-FAQ :lol:

EDIT : Alright here it is

Overdrive - emulates/boosts the sound of a tube amp cranked until it cracks up, most people find the sound to be warm and smooth, nice for cleans (use a mild amount of overdrive) or as a booster (connect the overdrive pedal at the start to give the signal a boost)

Distortion - a chunkier, harsher sound. As it's name suggests, the tone will be edgier and rock-style

Delay - a reproduced signal of what you play. e.g. if you play a note, that note will sound again after a certain time

Chorus - taking the signal of your guitar and mixing it with several delayed copies to produce a simulated sound of several guitars

Flanger - takes the signal of your guitar and mixes it with another time-delayed signal of opposite phase e.g. two different pitches, sounds like a jet airplane soaring overhead

Phaser - a delay effect but a phase delay one, unlike chorus and flanger, but works similarly. Emulates the sound of a rotating speaker

EQ - equalization, similar to the EQ knobs on the amp, allows you to adjust EQ settings without having to touch the settings on the amp itself

Wah - a tone filter to sweeps the frequency of your playing up and down to produce a sound similar to the human voice saying wah (not the singlish version of wah )

Octave - shifts the pitch of your guitar signal by different octaves, upwards or downwards. Some guitarists use this as an alternative to downtuning

Tremolo - rapid increase and decrease in volume

Whammy - similar to the whammy bar found on guitars with tremolo bridges

Reverb - Produces a reverberation effect similar to natural acoustics in a room

Volume - simple, a volume pedal. Controls the volume of your playing without touching the guitar or amp volumes.

Compressor: Smooths out the uneven peaks of the given signal. Balances out the sound,reduces dynamic range in simple terms.

Talk Box - Simulates a robotish sounding voice.

From this thread : http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules....ghlight=&sid=98c69307910e647feb5241468bb2ad14

then what is better, buying an efx box or connecting those pedals together? and how does a pedal board work?

tany said:
then what is better, buying an efx box or connecting those pedals together? and how does a pedal board work?

A pedalboard is simply a board/box/piece of wood with which you attach your pedals to to facilitate ease of transport. Multi-effects and single analog units have distinctively different tones, the former sounds more digital, the latter, more warmth. There's no better, it will boil down to preference and what you require, desire.

tany this might help with ur question:
soft-mypedalboard.jpg

this is a homemade pedalboard i used to have (sold them all off!). u can get gd ones by skb. there is 2 models. but quite expensive. someone mentioned a shop in sim lim square is able to custom made a pedal board for u. but not sure of the price. or u can be like me, buy a wood block from art friend ($3.50++) and get stick-on 2inches industrial velcro from homefix ($9per meter i guess, can't remember) and u have a pedalboard for less than $30. but if u prefer multi fx, then...

multi fx is good if you need lots of different sound combinations. its quick, a tap on a footswitch, u have a totally diff fx combntn. especially good when in a song, u have lots of guitars sounds changes. imagine u have lots of stompboxes, u will be doing tap dancing on stage. and its cheaper with one box having all those sounds, rather than getting lots of stompboxes.

but after saying all that i prefer stompboxes! it works for me! anyway it looks cooler on stage surrounded by all those colourfull pedals! hahahahhaha! just like mike einziger of incubus!

Btw, is there any multi-efx which cost like cheap? Because what I always see are just those big ones which cost more then $1k!! 8O

Really tight on budget...

hellmurderer said:
Btw, is there any multi-efx which cost like cheap? Because what I always see are just those big ones which cost more then $1k!! 8O

zoom, behringer, line 6, korg ...
actually got quite alot ...~
wat's ur budget ?

I just bought the new inssue of The Guitarist. They had 32 pages devoted to effects. Based on their recommendation for various combinations, i am now on the look out for some new stuff

Here's some of the combinations they recommended

Rock(i want this rig)

Boss Flanger + Acoustic Sim + TS808 + Wah

Metal

MXR Phase 90 + MT2 + Wah

The metal combi looks simple but the range of sounds shown on the video was good.

As for effects summary, i reccommend a visit to the BOSS Web site. They have all the demos and explainations

hellmurderer said:

Is is really necessary to get a multi effect board?For 1k u can get god knows how many different pedals. Second hand DS1 $50. MT2 $70-80.The reason that i don't like multi effects is because some manufacturers are weaker in certain fields. Take a Boss compressor for example, it ain't the greatest .Imagine what happens when multi effects break down vs multi peadl breakdown

boss pedals how do they look like? and i heard POD is quite good, issit multi efx too? i have a zoom 505 II it's quite small...

hellmurderer said:

1K? wah, wat brand u saw? even the better ones ard like POD XT live & GT8 is like 700. wats ur budget bro? maybe i can recommend a few cause recently i've been looking at the market as i jus bought a multi effect myself

redname said:
hellmurderer said:

1K? wah, wat brand u saw? even the better ones ard like POD XT live & GT8 is like 700. wats ur budget bro? maybe i can recommend a few cause recently i've been looking at the market as i jus bought a multi effect myself

Hmm... Maybe about 200+?? Can that get me a good one or just some lower ends?

hellmurderer said:
redname said:
hellmurderer said:

Hmm... Maybe about 200+?? Can that get me a good one or just some lower ends?

200+? for new ones u can try behringer x v-amp or korg toneworks AX10G. u can also look for 2nd hand ones, i know luther has a johnson j-station http://www.luthermusic.com/cgi-bin/WB_OfferPageGen.pl its gd stuff

Latest posts

Back