My gig experience @ Gas Haus

They used to have a bass amp, now its just a direct DI box for the bass thru the whole PA system...

Gashaus soundman (aussie) for me was very professional in what he does. You just have to be reasonable before any of your wishes could be granted. Here are some examples:
1. 1st Oct, performed at Musicmania-2: He saw my dust-coated splashes and advised the best way to clean it and put back its original shine. It worked!
2. 15th Oct, performed at Musicmania-3: I complained the double kick's batter was loose. I tried tightening up but to no avail, brought it to his attention and offered me to use his spare single kick instead. That single kick was awesome! He penalized us of 1 song as it took us long to setup things. The payoff was a well-balanced sound, probably the best mix in all of my Gashaus gigs. Before our set I requested if we could have a still spotlight throughout the set as the stage was dark and not good for video taking, he understood our point and our wish was granted.
3. 22nd Oct, again Musicmania-3: I forgot to bring my tuning key, toms were sounding off. Asked if I could borrow his. Initially he refused and said "it was properly tuned from the start." But I insisted I'm not happy with it yet, so he lent me the key.
4. 25th Oct, Haunted gasHaus: Soundman noticed my two guitarist were sounding off during a song. He quickly wrote a note saying "tune your guitar!" and showed to us with unobvious gesture. Guitarist realized it was indeed off- tuned and thankful for the advise.
These are just small things but I'm sure a lot who have played there had some glad experiences to share. Bring me to the haus anytime and i'd be glad to gig, whether i'm paid or unpaid. But only the aussie soundman on the mixer pls!

And that big screen on the wall, we were allowed to beam our band logo animation on our next gig (12th Nov). So hell yeah! Its gonna be an exciting gig this sunday!

I've played there once, its an alright place, gd amps and and decent drumset. But didnt like the idea of them going PREAMP out frm the amp into the mixer, and it sounds bloody awful through the PA, trying plugging your amp's preamp line in to your com direct, nasty shit. No bass amp? hmm...thats just wrong man, I mean, wouldnt it be worth investing in instrument mics, 1 bass amp, when theres gigs going on at Gas Haus almost every week? that would be very much appreciated by bands and definately up the standard of Gas Haus

there's actually 3 or maybe more diff ang mohs there. you just need to spot the ONLY one bad one. thats a hint. :lol:

khairism said:
there's actually 3 or maybe more diff ang mohs there. you just need to spot the ONLY one bad one. thats a hint. :lol:

huh? really? i only had the pleasure of meeting one! lol. are u talking about the one who usually wears a cap?

actually where i'm concerned its a personal thing, coz i cant seem to hear my band when we're playing. and its important coz i dont have fixed fills and so on for our songs....but maybe i figured the dude wrongly and the problem's with no soundchecks. coz i remember once when we sound checked, i could hear everything and the sound was pretty good when we played our set....subquently no sound checks and thats when things became crappy.

and one experience with this dude (ermm....now i wonder if u guys know who i'm talking about) really stuck with me. my band usually drinks at Gas Haus after our set. there was this one gig, we were drinking outside, and the table was full of empty glasses (yup, drank lots). the sound guy came out n started clearing our glasses, and i asked him if i could help coz he looked like he was struggling to carry em all. he stared at me (and i dont mean for a second....it felt quite long), and while he was walking away kept staring at me till he proceeded to open the glass door and walk in. i found that really disturbing....all i did was offer to help man, have no idea what pissed him off.

ahhh whatever, i'm just happy there's a gig venue with nice equipment. :p

If there's a problem with his working attitude or whatsoever, and IF there's a considerable number of bands who feel the same way, the best way is to get together, and feedback to this person "Roy" which some of you mentioned - is the organizer.

There could be some things that the soundman is also not happy with, for example, people talking to him rudely and demanding things from him. It is through interaction and feedbacks that things are improved.

Just a reminder, always handle things professionally, because that represents you, and your band.

DD

soft said:
playingplay
Q: when do you know you are playing too loud on stage?

A: when you can't hear what your band mates are saying.

Woah, didnt know that!! thanx dude!! but when u mean "saying," do u mean when they are talking to you as in giving instructions or u can't hear what they're playing?

Gayson said:
right now is much more easy to get show than compare to 5,6 yrs ago....

Yes now is much easier to gt gigs with poor quality..Last time the gigs occured ver less but were full of Quality..Remember the Thomson CC gigs, Lee Kwong Seng gigs and Substation gigs...There were maybe only 4 to 5 gigs a year but they were awesome ones with great bands, good sound and a lot of crowd....Now is just 10 to 20 people watching bands playing in a crappy environment that they have been given by shitty organisers.

here are few stories from fellow mates who PM me and i felt that u guys should hear this...(no info about them shall be expose..)

[edited by SOFT - do not post anything not written by you]

i heard it has been raided by police several times. They were told to soundproof the place gigs carry on. I'm not too sure about it. correct me if im wrong. :lol:

soft said:
in this case, the sound engineer really cant do much. he will pull down all channels that are already too loud. there is no mixing, just damage control.

Q: when do you know you are playing too loud on stage?

A: when you can't hear what your band mates are saying.

A- fucken-men, bro SOFT bro...

super_punk said:
anywaysss..... think of it this way. if you're sound sucks and there are screw-ups in your gig, it makes your sound underground. and that is cool....

Offensive words alert warning

What the fu ck kind of reasoning is this?

If you screw up and your sound sucks, you are still cool?!?! Sorry man, that's when you know you got a hell lot to improve...

Well said Agingyouth...This guys down know what they are saying at all...And IJ is closed dued to fighting?? damn....!!!! No wonder gas haus is thriving in their gigs a the moment..No other places are viable for a gig then.

oh my.. soft dont allow me to post the story... thoese who have read the story before it got delete off, u are lucky.. lol

anyway... i wont retype the story part as soft doesnt allow me to post,so if u guys wan more details PM me personally, i am more then happy to them them speard their words.. anyway about IJ i was saying...
yes i did play there a few times couple of months back(almost one year or more?) and i dunnoe wad happen to you but during my era the place rock to the mix man!!! despite the HOT HOT HOT HEAT and the lack of oxygen and they heavy smell of sweat, that place and turn out is the best... the sound is good and heavy, the pak-cik is looking cool and he done his job well and he is damm friendly and helpfull(unless u did something wrong or dirty his house), the people there are high on support.... we even mosh till we are all messed up and bleeding.. god i miss thoese times... the scene is so dead now...

Back