must we follow chords when we solo?

bin4christ

must we follow the chords tt the rhythm guitarist plays wen we solo?
4 e.g.,if the rhythm is G-D-Em7-Cadd9,r we restricted to only G,D,E n C?

bongman said:
play what your hearts felt
like tht i think u'd b bttr off playing the drums.

i think there r lots of explanations on soloing ard here. search on it if ur really keen. basically u have to follow the scale of the particular tune ur playing to. if u solo in any way u want then it would sound really unpleasant.

gutturalpiss:i get wat u're saying...but juz now i was talking to my fren n he said it's better to follow the chords the rhythm guitarists play n play those notes...

as a lead starting out, i feel that following chords is a lot better.. it helps u understand chord progression and scales a lot better...

if you're jsut starting out on lead, its better if you play in the same key as the chords, it would ensure you wouldnt sound horrible. of course its possible to play in a different key. more common in blues or jazz, correct me if i'm wrong

i mean,let's say,the rhythm is like,avril lavigne's cover of knocking on heaven's door,C-G-Dm-C-G-F...it's in the key of C right?n tt means we play in C maj right?then do we hav to play a diff. note as the rhythm guitarist changes?

bin4christ said:
i mean,let's say,the rhythm is like,avril lavigne's cover of knocking on heaven's door,C-G-Dm-C-G-F...it's in the key of C right?n tt means we play in C maj right?then do we hav to play a diff. note as the rhythm guitarist changes?

i don't think so... like you try to look for the common notes between the 2 chords. So if you happen to be on G when the chord is C and then change to G chord, basically you can stay on the same note cause the G note is shared by both C chord and G chord. Get it? So the trick is to know what notes each chord has and then just play around from there. Of course you can go off the 'straight' chordal notes to make the chords 'color' differently, like if you play B note when chord is C then it would make it a Cmaj7 or something like that... of course when the C chord changes to G chord then B would fit perfectly into the G chord.. get it?

No not really.. Bass you usually stick to the root note, although if you do jazz or something you can play the arpeggios of the chord on the bass ie. walking bass. For guitar think you have more freedom.. basically if you want you can play any note(well almost)! But of course the 'color' and 'feel' will be different. So the question is what do you want to say? What do you want to play? But for beginners guess have to stick to the chordal notes is safer.

Binforchrist:

Just play the solo with a scale relevant to the chord progression .... some progressions enable you to play different scales .... Like a simple E, D, A.
You can play Emaj scale or A maj scale on the duration of the E chord, because both sales are relevant. When you play A maj scale on E chord ... it is a E mixolydian ... to D chord ... it's a D lydian. Most conventional ... just play an A pentatonic. Just play around the scale ...

dun try to be different for the sake of being different .... just play how the CHord makes you feel ... always ask yourself how you feel ... most important. :)

gutturalpiss said:
bongman said:

this is not a drummer friendly comment.

drumming have structures as well. don't put drumming down just coz you don't know enough about it to comment sensibly.

please take note.
thank you.

brudder dont angry ah. i meant as in just whack the drums. im a drummer too brudder. relax pal..ain't no havin tis' a law' a'toppa the'i staeg ey maan

bin4christ said:
must we follow the chords tt the rhythm guitarist plays wen we solo?
4 e.g.,if the rhythm is G-D-Em7-Cadd9,r we restricted to only G,D,E n C?

I think soloing according to chord progression is mainly for jazz stuffs. It gives a more "melodic" sounding solo....

gutturalpiss said:
bongman said:

i think there r lots of explanations on soloing ard here. search on it if ur really keen. basically u have to follow the scale of the particular tune ur playing to. if u solo in any way u want then it would sound really unpleasant.
is that so? I play what I feels right and I play by feel !!! No scales mathematicalogy involved. After playing if I want I can analyze them and it may be in modes, blues, or whatever wholetone, half-chromatic. that's what I mean by PLAY WHAT YOUR HEARTS FEEL, play by feel...

turbochicken said:
gutturalpiss said:
bongman said:

this is not a drummer friendly comment.

drumming have structures as well. don't put drumming down just coz you don't know enough about it to comment sensibly.

please take note.
thank you.
+1

bongman said:

Follow the chord and the rhythm....plus other lead guitarist riff pattern for add-ons...

Play thing that sounds similar to the rhythm...with the combination of other lead guitarist riff patterns....If you play by your heart..it may not sounds professional enough....

bongman said:
is that so? I play what I feels right and I play by feel !!! No scales mathematicalogy involved. After playing if I want I can analyze them and it may be in modes, blues, or whatever wholetone, half-chromatic. that's what I mean by PLAY WHAT YOUR HEARTS FEEL, play by feel...
well ur sentence phrasing confuses me :?

What bongman says is merely to play with the heart, which is really the ultimate objective of a musician. Scales and chords are merely tools we learn to acheive that objective. Some people has very good ears and dun really need to analyse these technicalities to "hear" these musical phenomenon.

Gutteralpiss ... Bongman's comments applies to Drums as well as guitars. melodic instruments need scales and chords .... rhythm instruments need rudiments and tempo. It's the same ... i think you need to expand on your understanding on the respective instruments ... :) no offense ... but whatever you type affects it's readers ... it's only natural that ppl response. :)

my comment on the drum, i meant as in to just go ahead n whack every tom n cymbal w/o any knowledge. coz frm bongman's short sentence i thot he was trying to say "play anyhow". coz the english is misleading actually..

Back