must read for ALL musicians

Either your post is preaching a certain brand of self-centered musical ideology, Jerseystar, or it's completely redundant. Which did you mean it to be?

The welcome address by Karl Paulnack is inspiring to people. The post by Jerseystar is his real life experience and observation.

I thank Jerseystar for sharing cos it is not easy for someone who loves music so much to give some reality to what we are so 'passionate' about.

Everything in this world is equal. It is just a matter of what is the viewpoint. What is the different between music and noise? One we enjoy, the other we dislike. But they are actually just sound.

Let do a parallel with food.

Food evokes emotion too. When I travel to US or Europe, I would be so happy to see a Chinese takeaway. I am sure the people as quoted by Karl Paulnack would appreciate some home cook meals when they were in the concentration camp or fighting in the war.

One thing I do know is, we will survive without music. But food, maybe for 2 days.

* visa, could you post the link where you got that article from? Thanks.

woah, thanks for posting.
took me 3 days to read it
and yea, it was inspiring.

can't help remembering what my conductor always tell the ensemble, that "music is a celebration of life"

Meaningful essay. Beautiful.
“I am alive, and my life has meaning.” - That's all that matters man.
Meaning: the invisible internal things. Obstacles in life are inevitable.
Each individual has their own story to live and learn from.
It's your own belief whether or not the things you've done in your lifetime are worth it or not.
In the end, we die alone. hah

my 2cents worth

Thank you VISA. I was indeed touched by your sharing.

"To me, Music is a language. And a language to me is something which I use
to express my thoughts and feelings to other people." - Victor Wooten.

As for me, Music is something I personally find it hard to describe. But over the years, I found out that Music needs no description. We dont have to comprehend what music is for it to touch our hearts.

People like to think that musicians play the music. But the way I see it, music plays through the musician.

i think many people treat music like something objective-based, a 'mission' per se. and then they get disheartened when they don't achieve their aims. and then some people whine, some people give up, etc.

this all doesn't make sense to me. i think by the singaporean definition of 'making it big' very very few people here actually aspire to make a living from music, spending months on end touring, promoting albums and being in a different city for days or even hours at a time.

when people in this country talk about making it big its all about fame, adulation, crowded gigs and radio airplay. some of the biggest bands in singapore are not even renowned for using music as an art of expression; they are mainly entertainers and performers. and there's nothing wrong with that. it's just that it's different from the view of many in the world who actually do make it big.

the point is, would it make a difference to your band if you didn't get any breaks? would your band suddenly cease because there is no opportunity? why must the lack of a break be considered an 'obstacle'? it's not like the bills or food on the table depend on it.

i think that real musicians do not need a reason to play music. we keep playing no matter what. if you can't gain any satisfaction from playing your own instrument, this is probably not the place for you.

First post got misunderstood as something against formal study.

Second post got misunderstood as retail therapy.

"You know how some women shop simply because that's the only way they know how to feel better?That's why I do IT."

Why its so funny because 'IT' here doesn't mean I do retail therapy. It here means that's why I do music. Man, you make me sound so gay.

But I will agree with you on one thing. For me music is like a drug; a short-term high that makes you feel better for a short while.

That's how I feel after each solo, each song after each gig. Cause I need to have more.

But it wears off, drains your wallet, and leaves you constantly craving for more of something that will never satisfy you.

G.A.S. does not = Retail therapy though.

Anyway, quoting myself...

I'm pretty sure if I was in a modern concentration camp say Guantanamo Bay, I won't compose something for my fellow inmates but I'd do it just breathe.

There should be a 'to' between 'just' and 'breathe'

I dun wanna continue to reply coz I dun wanna quote every single line or paragraph. Ain't got no time for that. All I know is that if there was one last seat on Noah's ark, and it could go to either a musician or a doctor...

As much as I love music, I think I'd give it to the doctor any day of the week, twice on Sunday. Even if that doctor is only in it for the money...

I suppose if one wants to save lives be a doctor, if you just want to play music for whatever purpose, be a musician. We are not that great in the scheme of things so lets not overglorify our profession.

:roll:

Either your post is preaching a certain brand of self-centered musical ideology, Jerseystar, or it's completely redundant. Which did you mean it to be?

Nah lah It's completely redundant :cool:

I'm normally a pretty reserved guy but when someone quotes every line of what I say, I just can't resist...

Last edited:
It's your own belief whether or not the things you've done in your lifetime are worth it or not.
In the end, we die alone. hah

I couldn't have said it better... Beautiful! To quote a Singer in a rock and roll band... 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead'

Even a post that is suppose to inspire becomes a war zone. Sheesh...

Jerseystar, I realise the whole point of your post is to put into the scope of reality what music is; a passion that at most time doesn't put food on the table or money in the pocket. It won't help to lessen the torture at a concentration camp or Guantanamo Bay. And it will certainly won't cure illnesses.

At least not in itself.

These ailments and survival needs puts us in the same category as every living thing on this earth. We hunt for our food, we shelter ourselves from the weather, we breed, we move, sleep and we die.

We are as much like every animal out there.

So why isit that we invented and keep on having music as part of our daily lives? It serves us no physical purpose. I think that's the point of the speech you're missing out: beyond the physical needs of our body, we have mental and spiritual needs as well. One of the most universal nourishments that we have for that plane of ours is music.

Does it provide us physical shelter, food on our table, cure for our sickness? Of course not. But music brings people together to celebrate, mourn, build or break. Plenty of music festivals are dedicated in creating awareness about the plights of the unfortunate, or the environment, or the political injustice of countries. And to me awareness is the first step to saving people's lives, or changing unjustified perceptions, or bringing improvements to social/political/eco landscapes; everything else is an effect of it thereafter.

When reading the first post, never did I consider it to be a speech about music as a promising career. He never did say it was a promising career. The whole point is about finding a true purpose about why one is pursuing music.

"You’re not here to become an entertainer, and you don’t have to sell yourself. The truth is you don’t have anything to sell; being a musician isn’t about dispensing a product, like selling used Chevies. I’m not an entertainer; I’m a lot closer to a paramedic, a firefighter, a rescue worker. You’re here to become a sort of therapist for the human soul, a spiritual version of a chiropractor, physical therapist, someone who works with our insides to see if they get things to line up, to see if we can come into harmony with ourselves and be healthy and happy and well."

Granted, those who are able to say that their music is their career are the very few. Someone who is rich enough? Someone who won American Idol? Someone who was there at the right place at the right time?

But do realise that they, took the risk to plunge in, with the chances for a failure to succeed extremely high. Hundreds or thousands others are like these people, with or without music education, with or without knowledge of an instrument. Are they to blame music cos of failure to succeed in it? I don't think that should be the case, because it was a choice to risk what they could have gotten. These are the folks who want to be entertainers, sellers of their ownself so that they will be idolised and worshiped. Their purpose was not about making sure the music is the spiritual resource that will feed minds and souls.

These are the kind of people that shouldn't be at the school. That is the point of his speech.

I understand that perhaps you are embittered by the struggle you went through to get through music education. And guess what, I was somewhat in your shoes. Pursued an education in music at Lasalle before dropping out because I couldn't afford the fees. Lasted only 1 semester. They didn't even show me my exam results cos I didn't pay the fees that's due to me. My situation wasn't as bad as yours, and I salute you for going through what you did and still stand tall.

But in no way did I think that speech was bullocks. It gave me a reason as to why I am still doing this, at the end of the day I have my own spirit to nourish. But if I can profoundly change the world for the better with what I do, that's a bonus.

2 cents.

Last edited:
Just like how sound would be deemed music or noise, the first post will touch different people in different ways. We should use this as a wake up call for us to find our goal/direction in our musical pursue.

Second post got misunderstood as retail therapy.

"You know how some women shop simply because that's the only way they know how to feel better?That's why I do IT."

Why its so funny because 'IT' here doesn't mean I do retail therapy. Man, you make me sound so gay.

I know that. There was never any misunderstanding.

But I will agree with you on one thing. For me music is like a drug; a short-term high that makes you feel better for a short while.

That's how I feel after each solo, each song after each gig. Cause I need to have more.

While we all get our fix from being onstage, it does certainly seem to me like you're motivated to play music for the "glory", the ego boost. Which is fine, I suppose.

All I know is that if there was one last seat on Noah's ark, and it could go to either a musician or a doctor...

As much as I love music, I think I'd give it to the doctor any day of the week, twice on Sunday. Even if that doctor is only in it for the money...

I suppose if one wants to save lives be a doctor, if you just want to play music for whatever purpose, be a musician. We are not that great in the scheme of things so lets not overglorify our profession.

That's an interesting perspective, and again it speaks volumes about your character.

Do you remember the scene in Titanic towards the end when the ship was sinking, and the musicians came out on deck to calm the people down when they knew they were most probably about to die?

Do you think any of them would have traded the musicians for doctors at that point in time? What about at weddings, funerals, and any of the defining moments of your life?

I would boldly dare to say that while doctors save lives in a physical and literal sense, musicians and artists inspire people, enhance the quality of their lives, and sometimes save them from emotional and psychological destructiveness.

Musicians can save people in a far deeper and greater sense than doctors will ever be able to. Doctors save lives, but musicians and artists enhance its quality.

I don't expect you to understand. That's okay. To each his own.

the musicians came out on deck to calm the people down when they knew they were most probably about to die?

They did to calm people down? No way man... They knew they were going to die so in such time of crisis they did the only thing that made them feel good. Play music!

And besides where were the doctors during this time??? Tending to the injured of course...

:p

Great speech, but no one should actually take it too seriously. The humanist aspect really appeals to thea heart.. but musicians as saviors, helping people with their internal, invisible lives? Sure. Personally speaking, some of it is bordering right around the edges of pretentiousness. Art (or music) is as much a commodity as anything else.

Still, it's a great speech, thanks for sharing.

Not all forms of music serve to touch and inspire people. I sure feel pessimistic and unbalanced when listening to, say, black metal. :cool:

It is a bit far-fetched to say a musician serve as a kind of therapist. I would say it is more of a form of emotional catharsis for the musician, an outlet where he express his emotions.
A musician doesn't necessarily perform for the sake of an audience.

Besides, I dont see how a music like black metal can save the world. lol XD

Last edited:
the musicians came out on deck to calm the people down when they knew they were most probably about to die?

They did to calm people down? No way man... They knew they were going to die so in such time of crisis they did the only thing that made them feel good. Play music!

And besides where were the doctors during this time??? Tending to the injured of course...

:p

If you ask me, if I knew I was on a sinking ship and was afraid for my life, i wouldn't pull out my violin. I'd fracking get off the damn ship.

It's interesting how self-centered your perspective on music is.

growlingsoulpup, you are saying the same thing as Jerseystar. Please read his posts again.

Jerseystar. You said that if there is one seat left on Noah's ark, you would choose a doctor than a musician. That analogy is very one-sided. In such a situation of course a Doctor is of much more importance than a musician.

Let me ask you and all who read this, this question.

Imagine you're on your deathbed. You have around 30min before you die.

Yes, you are feeling physical pain due to some illness you have. But let me ask you this, for the LAST 30min of your life, would you rather a doctor come and attend to you, or have a musician play your favourite songs?

Think about this.

Back