Medicine for the local original market????

parablue74

This is my concept..
Years over years I've watched the market..being a striving artist/producer myself, it's a struggle to climb in this country, but i'm no different from the numerous original acts here in Singapore.
For original local acts, it's exhausting in almost every angle. We are the 'down of the down'. I believe many of us have to do other jobs to supply our income, yet our hearts keep tearing us apart, wanting to write new songs, perform etc..
Yet, a nostalgic audience we have here in SG, who prefer to listen to Billboards Top 40s, have not only criticized our local acts, feeling that our work isn't up to standard, and even cover bands suffer from the fact of foreigners taking over their jobs, at a lower price (but this will be another topic)
Top 40s are filled with acts like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Coldplay etc etc... big acts from Hollywood, who have tons of budget to make fantastic music videos, solid album production, big publicity etc... budget that even local Mediacorp will struggle finding, not to mention local layman expects that of our poor local bands/acts, which is not in reality possible..
Though there were some acts that got some recognition, but even them are struggling. Yet, wealth always come to play as a bonus, and i believe acts like Corrine May, Stephanie Sun, Olivia Ong etc were born with golden spoon in their mouths. Some acts struggled their way out there, but physical looks also play a part. To summarize, most people are not borne with golden spoon and great looks, a requirement that shouldn't be a criterion in music creation, yet made so by the entertainment/business world. Beethoven didn't have to be that sexy Aaron Kwok back in those centuries.
As much as reality is concerned, NAC do give grants if they find a local work interesting enough, yet selectively, yet their terms is based that the act cannot use their grant for any commercial, like no selling etc (I'm not 100% sure of this, cos i've not tried to get a grant yet). As respectable as it is, how can original bands/acts survive on a non-commercial grant if they are needing $$??? But it's not $$ that is concerned, it's value..!!!
Why are local original bands playing for free?? It takes a whole load way more effort to write/arrange your own songs, yet their value is worth worse, worse than a cover band, basically of no value, not worth a cent, and sometimes, they even have to pay to perform.
However, again, reality sticks to the picture, since the audience still prefers whatever they are familiar with, top40s..
Now, throughout the years, i've watched event organisers etc, trying with all efforts, to organise local original gigs.. some (though respectable to me) have rake up their own pocket money for such commitments. Yet, all these gigs, most of them, are filled with only a handful of audience, most of which are the band's friends, or maybe other local bands.. still unfruitful!
The scene seems to head down to underground, as many bands can see that they can't challenge the famous top40s artist, bringing their genre to darker genres like metal, punk etc etc.. yet, these genres have problems again getting to the layman, so in otherwards, the layman are still untouched..!
For layman, i believe musical acceptance is progressive (for most), streaming from pop>pop rock>hard rock>heavy metal>thrash metal>black metal.. for example..
How can event organisers continue to host original acts shows when they are not getting much finances from their events?? How can original acts continue to make good music if they are not getting finances to supplement themselves to do so??
To me, i believe it's a UP/DOWN situation, not DOWN/UP. Local record labels need to be richer in order to sign local artist and give them fame..Local organisers need to be richer, in order to do better shows for local acts..Local more commercial genre original acts need to be accepted more 1st for the layman to start turning downwards to more underground genres..
And the top starts from NAC, from COMPASS.. from local acts who are already having a certain form of recognition, cos these are the ones who wield more 'power'..
I believe NAC needs to give more support for local event organisers, then these organisers can give better shows for local bands. I believe NAC needs to open Scape up, a small cafe/pub area, only for local original acts, and paying these acts some $$, serving drinks as means for income. I believe NAC needs to open an Internet Radio or Radio Station, serving out mostly for local original acts. I believe NAC needs start a magazine company, featuring more local acts, as priority. I believe NAC needs to come up with yearly compilation albums, for local acts. I believe COMPASS needs to be stricter on licensing on the numerous small pubs opening up, so these small pubs will start to engage local original acts instead, if they can't pay the licensing. I believe more famous local artist like Dick Lee, Florence Lian, Ken Lim etc etc, needs to get more involved with activities, promoting and supporting local original events etc...
I believe our government should supply NAC with our taxpayers $$ to do such things, rather than wasting money changing Lady Gaga's lyrics and ending up making tragic mistakes and having to waste our $$ on paying copyright licensing to Lady Gaga..
What's your feedback about these matters???

What, another one if these threads again? :p anyways,

I will have to disagree with you on most of your statements.

Firstly, if you're thinking of earning big bucks without any sacrifices please stop now and go study hard/find a job... I feel that its ridiculous that one is just waiting to be spoon fed and hoping to get signed/given incentives from government bodies.

Local record labels need to be richer in order to sign local artist and give them fame..Local organisers need to be richer, in order to do better shows for local acts..Local more commercial genre original acts need to be accepted more 1st for the layman to start turning downwards to more underground genres..
This is just sooo wrong (in my opinion), its like asking someone to invest in your lousy product which is entirely unknown to the entire world, its just not gonna happen. If I were the guy from the record label, I'd rather sign a band with already a decent amount of following.

I just read an article (very informative article!) on a John Mayer clinic,
Myths (and Negative Mindsets To Avoid)

• The Idea of “Right Time, Right Place”
“Not true! That would be true if you only played one show for your entire life. Then, the mathematical construct would make sense that you have to be in the right time at the right place. Forget about right time right place – it doesn’t exist! You create your place and you create your time through what you’re doing. It’s not about getting your foot in the door or meeting a person and them giving you an opportunity. Doesn’t exist. Does. Not. Exist. Nobody is going to sign you at a record company anymore – they’re not in the business of building an artist from scratch anymore. You got to bring them what you already have. “​
Its all about the dedication to the music you want to create. Not everything is gonna be so simple. If you're have great looks then good for you, if not, then too bad, go find a way to work around it.

Periphery is one good example. The guitarist Misha Mansoor started the band in 2004, posting hundreds of clips for FREE online. His stuff was good, although the production was of low budget (POD + sampled drums). As time went by, his stuff was recognized in the online community as they quality of their stuff was consistently good. They released their debut album in 2009 with minimal support, entirely recorded in their home studio. They have recently played at Sonisphere and have released a follow-up EP in April.
It took them YEARS before they even got to what they have today, moreover their stuff was AWESOME.

Before you even start to complaint, ask yourself if your stuff is REALLY GOOD, don't settle for good and don't cheat yourself by only listening to the positive stuff. You need people to really critique the shit out of your stuff.

Local bands tend to comment on fellow bands, "HEY AWESOME STUFF THERE" even when the tracks freaking sucked.
I wanna write more but I've got a presentation due tomorrow...I believe in meritocracy, if you're good then you're good and people will listen to your stuff.

I know the common angle of thought that most larger organisations will consider towards these matters.. they are thinking of economic growth..$$ speaks louder than words. From their POV, why should they bother about original acts that are not famous?? Isn't it better to supplement in cover bands to play already popular Top40s?? Or else, why not they bring in famous acts from overseas?? Isn't that better in their financial growth??? As well, government will consider things from this POV..
Let's look at it this way, why should government bother about support the poor, handicap, sick people of Singapore?? Why bother?? They don't make money for the country...let them all die, let them be thrown into the fire.. or why not? Just rid them away..
Economic growth is one angle, but running the country as a country is another. There will always be facets of any country, angles, certain industries, that will be at a more defeatist situation, than others.. If the country doesn't grow in this angles, it will suffer in the long term. Even angles like Archealogy, R&D, Sports etc etc, and known for the lag of market here.. If these areas are not helped by the government, on the whole, over a longer period of time, the country will suffer as known markets becomes over saturated.
I've met many foreigners complaining about Singapore's local entertainment scene, they say it's boring! Why?? If they want to hear Top40s, they can hear it anywhere, even in their home country.. When they come here, they want to hear our local Singaporean flavour..!!!
Think about it!!! We go to Thailand, we head off to Thai Discos, and hear Thai Music, something different!!! Do you want to go to Thailand, to hear Top40s???? It was becos the thai people are so proud of their own music, that you can even see tons of Thai discos being opened here..and it's not about the girls, as what some will think off.. cos you still can have top40s and have thai girls around..
As much as the government support more on the local original scene may not be economically enticing at the front, but in long term, 'when the tree starts to grow', then we can start to form an economically profitable local original market, that will then spread out to the rest of the world..What they need to do 1st is 'let the tree grow'..

Chicken and Egg question...!!! If i pay you only $2-4/hr to do a difficult tedious workload, or even ask you work for free, will you do, happily???? Will you do it in the 1st place??? Will you throw yourself into the job at 100% for that low pay???
Then, after you work, i say you are a lousy worker, becos you didn't put in 100% effort, compared, with someone else, doing a similar job, in USA, being paid, $50/hr..!!! Is that a fair comparison????
And my friend, did you think all those overseas famous acts started out with fantastic works in their albums???? Did you dig and listen to their 1st albums??? Honestly, i heard a lot, and they were lousy..!! They weren't as more superior than our own local bands.. BUT.. they were given a market to grow..!!!
Did you think that in USA states, they do not give priority to their own acts, even if their own acts may not be as good as overseas acts..?? I came across an organisation in Australia, i think it was called EAR, who were remarking on the lack of support for their local original music, as well, they were trying to help push up their own local music market, giving priorities to their own local original bands, rather than foreign artist..
PBS radio station is a station in Melbourne, that gives priority to music from their local scene..and seriously, when i hear their stuff, yep, Billboards Top40s are better.. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Cold Play are better.. Hollywood stuff, with those super high budgets..
But then, why do they still spin more of their local original stuff????
Look at Thai Music.. as a Sound Engineer myself, i hear their sound quality, and some of them suck...!! Yep, Top40s sound quality is good.. way better.. so then, why do these Thai people to play their own thai songs?????
WHY???
LOUSY??? OR WHY???
THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm coming out of a flame war from the other thread and I thought I'd hop into this.

I agree with parablue74 when he says that we need local media to feature Singapore music. I think we are sorely missing something like a BigO. We do have Juice magazine, but I don't think that they're really going to feature local music, I don't know why. I know their music reviewer and I'm going to tell him off. But I don't think that NAC needs to do anything. We have a few people out there who are running their own magazines, we just need to group them together and organise them properly so that everybody gets to write something. This is the age of the internet, and what we can come up with is something like pitchfork. And we need these music reviewers to be objective because if they just blindly plug stuff that is Singaporean nobody's going to trust them.

Regarding foreigners playing in pubs, I don't think it's a problem if they're going to be part of our local scene. If they actually bother to write about Singapore, if they try to fit in. After all, where did Bjork get her big break? London. Where did Jimi Hendrix get his big break? London. We are a cosmopolitan city, we got to have all of them in here. But they have to be part of something that is identifiably Singaporean. If the Pinoys and Mats are just going to be playing Top 40 hits or doing their own stuff, they aren't contributing.

But at the same time, the scene should be integrated into the region. That is, if an act is successful in Malaysia or Indonesia, it should also be successful in Singapore. Singaporeans, Malaysians and Indonesians should all promote each other's music. That way, musicians in all 3 countries can profit from touring in the region. Because if you're Singaporean and you keep on playing in Singapore, people will get sick of you.

I agree with xfigox when he says that it's very important to work at your craft before you get to do anything. But these days it's very difficult to make music if you don't have a silver spoon in your mouth. I read the music pages from UK and the US and they are all saying the same thing: all the indie kids are ppl with rich parents. The star making machine that used to be the record industry has all been destroyed by the internet. Nobody makes money from records anymore. Only from live shows. That's why the quality of music has gone down from the 90s, when there was no internet.

Therefore parablue74 is not really asking, "how do I become successful without really trying?" He's actually asking, "how do we keep alive during the period of time when we're plugging away at our craft?"

=xfigox

HAHAHAHA I see so many local bands jerking themselves off telling each other they're good on facebook, it's hilarious .

It also doesn't help when u have the old timers/mentors of a lot of these govt funded programs being real nice to these local bands/artistes and not giving them the real deal of the situation

there's no place for mediocrity in the music world , good isn't enough . U have to be able to move people,evoke emotions and sound amazing to get anywhere, and that means really putting the hard yards for your craft .

For me the difference is so obvious when i work with overseas/mandopop artistes or bands vs local bands / artistes , from work ethic to belief to dedication etc .

I've been helping/producing/managing local bands for ages now , but honestly a lot have disappointed me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't bother reading most of your wall of text, but I want to tell a story about two of my favourite bands.

The first one is one of the local bands that I was first introduced to while I was schooling years ago. They were prolific then, playing numerous gigs, often with a few other bands that also found success during that time. When they were picked up by a major label, everyone was happy for them, but at the same time it felt strange. Well, they still continued to gig once in a while, and there was an album in the works, but we waited... and waited... and waited...

In the meantime, the other bands, although still struggling on their own, grew slowly but surely, and one by one released their own EPs and albums, some more than one. Some toured, Indonesia, Malaysia, even China. Some found local representation, some remained completely independent, but gradually they seemed to overshadow their friends who were supposed to have the biggest opportunity with their major label contract.

Eventually the band released their album to much fanfare, but it left a bitter taste in the mouths of all those who had been observing the scene. Maybe the band had other pressing commitments, maybe the label was at fault, maybe there were a 1001 extenuating circumstances. Still, the album was a success, and who can blame them for choosing this path?

Then I come to the second band (don't worry this half of the story is shorter). This band chose a risky and unusual path for local bands. They played absolutely no shows, made no sign of even existing (instead of whoring themselves out on MySpace/FB as so many others do), and just worked on their music in the studios for nearly a year. When they were ready they exploded onto the scene with an EP, professionally recorded, well designed and packaged, and most importantly, uniquely impressive music. Within weeks they opened for a US band and signed to one of the best local labels. They've been featured in local magazines and noticed by music blogs outside of Singapore. Maybe they had the money and time to work in the studio. Maybe they were well-connected. Maybe they were lucky.

Anyway, the reason for me talking so much cock is that these two local bands took extremely different paths, and both found success. The only common factor is they both worked their asses off. So stop waiting for NAC to give you money. Stop waiting for pubs to pay you. Stop waiting for the general public to appreciate your non-mainstream genres of music. Stop going to Scape, which turned from one of the small but important venues that young bands dreamed of playing, to a place with at least 5 different cafes and not a single drop of good coffee to be found (lol).

I got tired of writing so I got no good conclusion. Cheers.

P.S.
parablue74 said:
I believe more famous local artist like Dick Lee...
I would rather Dick Lee kept his filthy hands away from the local music scene that I love and am proud of. Please read his enlightening comments on local music at a recent press conference http://blogs.todayonline.com/poparazzi/2011/07/11/what-dick-really-said…/

P.P.S.
The two bands in my story are West Grand Boulevard and Monster Cat, of course. I do not know them personally but I hope I have gotten the facts right.

P.P.P.S.
I agree with parablue74 when he says that we need local media to feature Singapore music. I think we are sorely missing something like a BigO. We do have Juice magazine, but I don't think that they're really going to feature local music, I don't know why. I know their music reviewer and I'm going to tell him off.
Last month alone in Juice (June edition), Monster Cat had a half-page feature, Kevin Lester had a full page, and Thunder Rock School (Amanda Ling, Leonard Soosay) had a full page with interview. No need to scold your poor friend. Numerous local bands have been featured in Time Out Singapore, including Mr Roland Lim's own band ;) Channel News Asia has been featuring various events in local music, including album launches and interviews. We have some very strong music blogs written by Singaporeans with international reach (and I'm not talking about Kevin Matthews). Stop waiting for local media to feature you, because they are ready. You just need to do something that's worth their attention.

P.P.P.P.S.
centralcatchment said:
Nobody makes money from records anymore.
Correction: no major label artist makes a significant profit from record sales anymore. If anything, label execs make more money than ever from record sales.
centralcatchment said:
That's why the quality of music has gone down from the 90s, when there was no internet.
More than half of my favourite albums from the past 2 years have been online-only releases. Professional releases I bought on Bandcamp and other sites, not demos on MySpace. Was the invention of the television also responsible for a decline in music quality in the 1920s? Lol.

Last edited:
Eventually the band released their album to much fanfare, but it left a bitter taste in the mouths of all those who had been observing the scene. Maybe the band had other pressing commitments, maybe the label was at fault, maybe there were a 1001 extenuating circumstances. Still, the album was a success, and who can blame them for choosing this path?

Actually, I quite like their album. There were quite a number of good songs but yea, there were quite a number of duds that was not well mixed. Just didn't have the same energy in the CD as compared to live, and even live they need a little bit more work

In case you got the wrong idea, I too like their album very much, although the extremely dry almost reverb-less mix makes me sad. But the metaphorical bitter taste was referring to their overall situation (i.e. my opinion that they lost more than they gained from choosing the contract), not the album.

For me the difference is so obvious when i work with overseas/mandopop artistes or bands vs local bands / artistes , from work ethic to belief to dedication etc .

I try not to mention about how good local bands are (song wise, craft etc) vs overseas bands..cos that will be too vague, and since there are really a lot of local bands, to enforce a pure judgement off-hand will be pretty unjustified. There are bands that are good, and those that are lousy..
There is a unfair comparison that many here have in their judgement that i will need to speak about..and i believe, largely, is becos they've never live abroad long enough to know..
Overseas bands, that come here, and perform, are considered international bands. They have already got a certain amount of fame, back where they came from. Majority of these bands are already famous in their state or country.. example, famous in Melbourne..and to be famous in a state like Melbourne (which is hell larger than Singapore, many times, population etc..) is already something..
In Melbourne itself, there are tons and tons of bands.. i believe way more than the total number of bands/acts in Singapore. And many, there, ain't good..!! It's only the 'cream of the crop' bands there, that WE SEE, that actually come here and perform..
So when you make a judgement of comparison between an average local band here VS an Australian band (for example) that have travelled all the way here, and you say, the local band is not of the same standard..It ain't FAIR!!
It's like saying, top 10 of 5000 vs top 10 of 200..
Have you seen the average bands there????
I've seen, i was there for 5 years, competing with them. And trust me, the average Aussie band is the same level as the average local band here..
We have look down on ourselves.. overly look down on ourselves..
Are Singaporean acts/bands lousy??? Not really!! You compare by proportion, as base on our population size, i will say, we are pretty good!!
I have joined a number of international songwriting competitions (and these are not amateur competitons, the expectation criterions, almost everyone who sends their works, are sending fully produced tracks). I'm not going to boast anything.. but i will say, ISC competition 2010. One of the finalist is Singaporean, and 1 of the semi-finalist is Singaporean. Was there any Indonesian, Malaysian, Filipino, Thai band there??? NOPE!!
Few years back, in ISC competition, again. A Singaporean act, WON the whole competition..!! I forgot his artist name..
We are not talking about simple competitions, those you see in community centres.. we are talking about competitions, that have almost 15,000 entries from around the world..
But no matter how good an act can be, in Singapore.. if you want to compare with Billboards Top 40s bands, those are the 'CREAM OF THE CROP', 'TOP OF THE TOP' for the entire world.. is it fair??
And even if your work, don't lose out to them.. but can you get that level of fame, that they have, from where you are standing, which is, here, in Singapore...Nope!!!
Define work.. is it just your song?? This is not how people judge..people judge by the entire package!!!
That is.. Good song, Solid production standard, Solid music video, great looks/shape, charismatic performance..and BIG lobangs..!!!
I was talking to a video guy the other day, showed him Electrico's music video.. this guy is a reputable video person.. from Germany! After watching, he mentioned Electrico probably spent around $15k on the video itself..!
But, an average music video, that which you will see, on MTV.. (which are belonging to famous acts), cost between $60k-$500k...
I don't want to go further on the details..
To commercial standard audio production, for an entire album, i would say, range from $30k to $60k..(for some, even more)..
So in otherwards, a local original band, to release an album, of good solid quality, will have to pay est $50k, not to mention, at least one music video, of standard that layman accepts, will cost them another est $50k..in total, $100k..
Now, how many local bands, who are not even earning from their original song performances, can afford $100k..????
Not to mention, marketing, publicity cost..that hasn't even been counted in..!!!
That's the comparison layman makes on our local bands vs Top 40s bands..!! Fair comparison?? Nope!!!

Carboxymoron: I am not talking about features. I am talking about reviews. The problem is that we have all these people getting featured but they don’t appear on reviews. So what’s the conclusion? We’re featuring all the local artists, and we’re begging you to notice them, but we’ll spare them the ignominy of having their stuff assessed? We're asking you to notice them, but we're not asking you to take them seriously? I’m not complaining that they don’t appear on interviews or features. I’m complaining that there is no mechanism out there that sorts the chaff from the wheat.

I’m complaining about the quality of the media coverage. Since you brought up West Grand Boulevard, I dug up an article on them. Let’s look at the coverage for the band:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1131899/1/.html

It’s totally appalling. In my mind, I’m asking, “what’s the music like” and there is absolutely NOTHING to form a mental image with. Why don’t we look at the parts where ppl talk about the music?

Album title is “Life, Love and a Loss for Better Words”. Loss for better words!!! Why not call it “This Album contains some music”. I can’t believe they rejected “Big Knife” as the album title. It is 10 times better than the shit that they eventually used. Album cover is tacky. Features a guy dropping a bomb on a tree. Maybe reminds you of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Bomb-Chills/dp/B000005JB9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310602624&sr=8-1

The band’s name sounds like a total generic angmoh name, not Singaporean at all. Bands used to have evocative names: Humpback Oak. Opposition Party. Oddfellows. Force Vomit. Boredphucks. OK, maybe band names are not important, because Slade is a pretty good band too. In my opinion, even if you name a band after an actual road that evokes all kinds of mental images, it’s better. I would say that Pan Island Expressway is a better name than West Grand Boulevard.

When they talk about the music, it doesn’t sound like it describes anything.

“As a band, when you're actually playing music, you don't want to have a formula. And a lot of times, the songs that have a standard formula, they tend to sound better... The standard chorus, verse, bridge... because it makes sense.”

What’s this? Are they talking about Nirvana? Tin Pan Alley? Bob Dylan? Comments are so generic that YOU CAN’T TELL.

"We just flesh it out and see what happens. And if we don't like it, we make changes from there."

Wow. Name me a creative process that doesn’t involve trial and error.
Despite performing for years and being well known in the local music scene, they still say it's a special feeling when they see people singing along to their songs.

They also say they enjoy their "fan" moments, such as the time when they played at a girls school on a tour to introduce local music.

Please kill me now. I’m not lamenting the fact that local bands don’t receive coverage. I’m lamenting at the quality of the coverage, which is quite lousy. I know that ppl here are talking about bands honing their craft. It is true that better songs sell better. But they're not doing much about their media presence. I'm not talking about Dick Lee on Singapore Idol beating the crap out of you until you become a faceless corporate product that the suits and ties can market according to what they teach you in SM motherloveloveloveloving U classes. What we want are bands being able to talk about their product in a way that captures the imagination.

Six years of hard work and this is all you have to show for it, when you get interviewed by the media?

You want a contrast? Here's an interview of Bjork.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7996-bjork/

Björk's forthcoming Biophilia is an album. It's also an iPad app suite featuring interactive programs for each of its 10 songs... and a treatise on the natural world that involves everything from immense planets to tiny atoms... and a traveling exhibition that showcases one-of-a-kind instruments including a 10-foot bass-playing pendulum... and it's also an educational tool that aims to offer a modern take on music education, replacing notation and by-the-book theory with instinct and creativity. Biophilia-- due out later this year on One Little Indian/Nonesuch-- is many things.

Does that at least make you a little curious about the music? Or at least the multimedia presentation?

Like many of her previous projects, Biophilia is forward-thinking, earnest, and admirably idyllic. To most of us, albums, concerts, and even musical theory are unchangeable entities. But for Björk, they're just concepts that are ripe for re-examination.

OK, nice to see that somebody past the age of 40 still attempting to change the world.

Have you seen the average bands there????
I've seen, i was there for 5 years, competing with them. And trust me, the average Aussie band is the same level as the average local band here..

I was in Australia for almost 6 years , spent 3 years in a gigging band(playing to crowds of about 3-500 fortnightly) while recording about 40 artiste/bands over the course of 2 years,including platinum selling act Birds Of Tokyo and Sony artiste Morgan Joanel and I still fly over every 3 months to produce/record/mix bands from Australia.

I don't disagree with what u mentioned ( esp on how singaporeans always look down on themselves ) and yes they have a lot of crap bands too ! ( like everything in the world ). But overall the competition/mentality here is sorely lacking due to various number of factors ( including social-political/education/upbringing etc )and mostly the lack of willingness to suffer for your craft and not be in the comfort zone.

Interesting to note that a Singaporean act won the competition...but you can't remember the artist name ? i think that speaks volumes about the impression they made on you.

and lastly i'm not knocking on the whole scene in Singapore ( i mean i'm still here aren't i ? ;) ) There are some genuinely awesome acts here ....just not enough in numbers or not awesome enough to make a stamp on the whole world to take notice. Sure it'll be nice to have more government funds and support...no doubt but at the same time we need to have more dedicated and better talents to fill up the gap too.

Let's not go harping on the 'Fairness' thread Calvin . Life really isn't fair , and I come from the school of thought that when it comes to anything ' Artistic ' , unless you're doing something which appeals to localized flavors a.k.a Fried rice paradise/Home/Money No Enough. You are essentially competing on the global scale and that's how people will judge you by.

Good or pretty good just isn't enough.

Last edited:
You want a contrast? Here's an interview of Bjork.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7996-bjork/

Does that at least make you a little curious about the music? Or at least the multimedia presentation?

OK, nice to see that somebody past the age of 40 still attempting to change the world.

centralcatchment : Hahhaaha i love the way you just ripped into WGB . so honestly brutal !

so , how does an instrumental cinematic rock CD with a pop-up pirate ship to boot stand up to you then ?

http://www.ineachhandacutlass.com/av-room

and

http://ineachhandacutlass.bigcartel.com/product/a-universe-made-of-strings

oh wow look it's the Session Guitarist for Top Billboard Albums in China, Hong Kong, Singapore. International Clients from USA, UK, Greece, Colombia, Mexico, Turkey, Japan, Indonesia, British Virgin Islands, Bahamas etc.

But overall the competition/mentality here is sorely lacking due to various number of factors ( including social-political/education/upbringing etc )and mostly the lack of willingness to suffer for your craft and not be in the comfort zone.

It's Singaporean attitude..I know what you are talking about..the main key i notice was that those Aussies luv having fun..and fun and passion are one of the main elements of making music. SGs tend to get so stressed up..
But i would say, the pressure build up is different. Since you were there, you should note that there were so many places to gig and get paid performing. I formed a band there, and we were 3 months old, not tight yet, and we were already getting paid performing. We even could play our originals..

Interesting to note that a Singaporean act won the competition...but you can't remember the artist name ? i think that speaks volumes about the impression they made on you.

Nope...i think becos he left Singapore..

Roland, I talking about the way layman look and judge our local bands.. judgement should be made in proportion.
To speak to point, these are some of the examples i get so turn off about Singapore, and what i hope could change..
1) I was trying to release albums in Australia, went to the CD shops there, even the big ones, and the shop owners were open to the idea of me putting my albums in their shop..in fact, I noticed they were no surprise at all..
When i came back Singapore, i approached the CD shops here, and they were so unwilling.!!! Not just were they surprise, giving me the strange look, but they gave me the 'WTF, don't bother me with your nonsense' look..very displeasing..! The only place i found, there were interested in what i was asking enough to be responsive, was a street peddlar in Bugis..!!

2) Playing in pubs in Australia allowed originals to be performed, even in D&Ds, my band was playing originals.. of cos together with covers..buskers could jam their originals on the streets and people were dancing to it. And their buskers are not blind man/handicap like here in Singapore. I bought a flemenco busker groups' CD, and realised one of their members is a music producer..like us..! But of cos, it could be due to Singapore's climate, I'm no so keen in performing in such hot humid weather on the streets..! But i will say, it's the receptiveness of their people that was so enticing for bands to perform. I tried playing originals locally here, aside from the existing pubs (like POW, Substation, Barnone..) which we all know allow original acts, all other pubs/clubs are so displeasing about having any original song heard, even for live mobile events..I remember performing an original song in Blues Room here, and i was scolded for that..

And true, there are not enough acts here to make an impact.. but, it's measured upon our population size..
Still, even if we get bands to really hit in the world, do you think our locals reaction is going to change??? Do you think our local Singaporean mentalities are going to change???

The whole answer i realized which stirred the Aussie scene, i realized, was community. They have local community radio stations that were supportive of their scene. Non-profit organisations too..
We've tried that here, I think it was Passion FM, which is a community radio station. However, lack of funding, lack of publicity, and they were closed..!!! So, who you think NAC should support??
I hate to say, but Singapore local entertainment scene is really getting more and more dirty, more and more materialistic. There is no place for originals anymore, not to say, there weren't many to start from. It all should start with our local music community, but in reality, it all should start with the sponsorship for our local music community. But the materialistic angle of thought is too restrictive here to allow openings for originals.
Like someone said earlier, we need to gather everyone here, and get our 'voice' together, to make our 'voices' heard to the public. But i'll rather say, we need to get our 'voices' heard to that which will matter, big organisations and government..esp those that 'wields the power'..

There is one thing though, recent Lady Gaga's issue displays how Singaporeans are so oblivion about copyright issues. I hate to stab to the reality here, but pubs i've worked, are also pretty oblivion about it all. KTV's taking any Karaoke DVD, extracting the file and putting into their collection. The whole licensing act is controlled by COMPASS, but seriously, maybe i don't know what they are doing, but, they don't seem to be doing their jobs..???
Small pubs/cafes here can play whatever cover song they want here, without paying any licensing.. no wonder, original bands are being suffocated. If owners can't pay the licensing, they will engage local acts to play their original stuff. It is the copyright issues that are saving the original scene, anywhere in the world. The licensing creates a balance, creates a decision point, for all pub settings, financial balancing of having covers vs originals as their concept point...

Back