Maksim Mrvica

if u want to watch his MTVs u can go purchase his first album platinum edition.it comes wif a VCD containing some of his MTVs. as for downloading his MTVs , i tried doing dat on Kazaa before it became illigal and all i could find was flight of the bumble bee and exodus

DoubleBlade said:
copy and paste in ur internet explorer window...it should work thou

hahahahah :lol:
dude you need to post the song... onto a website..eg soundclick...etc.. then post the link here... damn funny sial..i tihnk 2nd time you tried to link your hard disk to this website.

iansoh said:
i htink there are two ways you can react to maksim's music: either u'll like it, or u'll really hate him for destroying lovely classical music in that way. truth be told, there's nothing exceptionally original about playing classical music to a breakbeat or techno beat. many have probably tried and flopped, so i feel that a lot of him is all about image and visual appeal, that might well fade away in a few years' time when people start to get sick of classical tunes being remixed(or destroyed, depending on how u feel) by a young energetic man. after a while, it'll all start to sound the same.

the beauty of classical music lies in the feelings that the composers were trying to convey at the point in time that they wrote it. i remember my piano teacher telling me the backgrounds behind almost every classical piece i played. the setting, the time and place that the composer was when he wrote it, and why he wrote the piece. immediately it opens up many new windows for creativity and therein lies the beauty of the music to be beheld. when u have that, u won't need to remix a piece of music to feel that u've done something new for it.

maksim is a heavily marketed man, not so much a musician representing his own musical creativity/influences, i feel. if he actually intends to carry on in his career, it's probably a matter of time that he starts to write some original tunes(which might not turn out as appealing as his classical remixes). or if his managers don't want that, probably they'll make him to be just another hit and run(ok, maybe hit and walk) like vanessa mae.

fingers flying around all over the keyboard is nothing new. jazz musicians do that, hammond players do that with their hands AND legs. prog rock players do that too. jordan rudess, kevin moore..(who's the last one? sherinan?) also play with the same, if not greater flair than maksim.

personally, i would prefer our young generation to succeed and continue in that good old strong classical appreciation and grounding, as well as respect for it. maksim can be novelty that comes along once in a while, but definitely not a revolution, or we'll have all the composers from bach to beethoven turning in their graves!

(heh.. don't mind the long essay :wink: )

i absolutely agree with you. i hate him. he destroys music man.

I think he's tolerable. Some of his tunes are nice. But for keyboardists, i'll stick to Jordan Rudess as well as Vitalij Kuprij.

actually he is not indeed a one of a kind shredding pianist.even my piano teacher can be of comparable standard to him.many other pianist if not a handful of them are technically better than him.

people have asked me who are my favourite pianists and when i mention Maksim as one of my favourites (probably because the rest are dead by more than a century) , they will go like , "whaoooo Maksim is good!!!! i love his playing!!!!"

i agree with them on this statement but here's something to consider.is there any other pianist u see on MTV who is making waves in the english music industry other than Maksim? the answer is obviously not so i guess he has the advantage of being the "best pianist in the world" well at least in the eyes of the MTV audiences.

too many times we often think that that pianist is the best pianist in the world when all we hear is his playing and all we see is his techniques and we tend not to explore further into the lives of other pianist as well whether being dead or alive.

i remember when i was introduced to Gun N Roses , i thought that Slash was the best guitarist in the world until one day i was again introduced to G3 music and i thought ,"mannnnnnnn steve , joe and yngwie's playing techniques are like so many times better than slash!!!!"

to sum it all up...it's just all about generalisation...that's all

classical

this is one way to keep the young generation exposed
to classical music, just like how Vanessa-Mae did.

I dun think many youngsters would be turn on to Yundi Li.

I feel Vanessa's production is stronger than our piano player Maskim.

Re: classical

bongman said:
I dun think many youngsters would be turn on to Yundi Li.

I feel Vanessa's production is stronger than our piano player Maskim.

first of all , i've heard about this kiddo prodigy from China called Yundi Li who is creating a big commotion in the classical music industry.i also heard he seem to be dominating the classical music scene wif his own techniques...now that was at a time when Maksim was unheard of.when Maksim came storming into the scene , it not only shattered this Yundi Li hopes but people began flocking towards Maksim instead of him...Maksim has the advantage of reaching out to the classical audience and at the same time MTV audiences as well.so it's as good as saying that Maksim's music reaches out to the youth and adults as well.while in my point of view , as far as i've heard before , i doubt any youngster have ever heard of Yundi Li.sometimes or even most of the time the music industry is just unfair....Yundi Li is a child prodigy and child prodigies dun come that easy...it's like once in every 10 years we have a child prodigy and the big time record companies would rather market Boynce(for example) than Yundi Li...

i think in Singapore , Maksim's production is stronger than Vanessa's.in fact Maksim is famous in the Asia Pacific region which includes Hong Kong , Indonesia , Malaysia , Taiwan and of course Singapore. that's where his strongest fans are based.

Re: classical

DoubleBlade said:
Maksim has the advantage of reaching out to the classical audience and at the same time MTV audiences as well.so it's as good as saying that Maksim's music reaches out to the youth and adults as well.

No chance. Maksim will never reach out to a classical audience. Most who are into classical music will be angry with Maksim for violating classical music and the composers. Maksim just plays the notes - his kind of music leaves little or no room for proper classical interpretation of the pieces. He will probably reach out to the younger audience.

my relatives who listen to instrumental new age music loves Maksim!!!! :p

but yeah cheez u had some meaning to the above post mentioned.imagine u wrote and composed a ballad song and it becomes a hit single staying at the top of the top 20 charts for more than a month and suddenly New Found Glory(a band famous for doing punk covers) decides to do a punk rock version of it.u as the orginal composer of the song would feel kinda insulted wouldn't u?

Those into instrumental music will not mind his music - probably will love it. Those into classical music, however, will not like it. He basically killed classical music interpretation.

I don't mind his music - even watched his first DVD performance. That doesn't mean I like the way he made the music. Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini (by Rachmaninov) is one of my favourite pieces. When I heard him play it, my hair stands out and I could almost strangle him. But nevertheless, I watched the entire DVD to observe other things - how he projected his image and how the music was orchestrated and arranged. It was interesting....

i think it was because of much criticism from the world audience that he decided to play some pure classical pieces on his second album.at least it was different compared to his previous album.he's second album had to strike a balance between fusion classsics and original classics.for me personally i welcome the change although i myself was hoping for more heart thumping remixed classics when i first saw his album at CD Rama.

or maybe it could be that he's killing 2 birds with one stone.he's like indirectly telling his fans this , " u want to listen to my new remix classics , u buy my second album and at the same time i want u to get hooked on original clssics as well....."

that's was his initial goal when he entered the music industry and that is to attract youths to original classics thru his playing....

haha i just happened to stumble upon this website
pretty cool!
btw.. Yoshiki of X-Japan fame played on a 'see-through' piano before @ the X-Japan's last live

to be honest maksim sorta sparked off an interest in classical music for me but later as i watched other classical pianists (Horowitz, Volodos, Czerny, Richter) i realise that maksim does not bother about classical music interpretation and his 'classical' music jus doesnt cut it.
btw he popularised flight of the bumblebee but actually he is playing a lot slower than the actual speed.
funny how the camera captured those angles that seemingly make his fingers look so fast

have seen Lee Yun Di.. very commendable considering how many asian concert pianists there are in the world
watched this vid of him playing the duet of rondo alla turca with jay chou.

erm... guys let me get this str8....

i will be a devil and say this... if u think maksim is good in technicalities, i would say, look at the word arranged after thr song title.

this means it is being arranged for easier playing and for better interpretation of the music for people who do not know how to interpret proper music first...

secondly, if u really wish to critic him, listen to his first 2 albums and his latest, i would say that his latest album is much more proper in the pianistic sense..

the first album, i could hardly hear the piano playing, and his 2nd album, i still cannot figure out the meaning behind the title, variations 1 and 2? none of the songs are even variations..

lastly, none of this songs are interpreted correctly, if you want to seriously understand and appreciate, listen, hungarian rhapsody, and the transcendental etude by liszt, the pieces are played only with a piano, and they can produce and write compostions only with a pair of hands, so watch who u should hail more..

i am not lecturing anyone, jus wanna shed some light... i like his music too, but in a apprecistive manner, that he tries to bridge people to understand classical music more.... :p

sorry if i offended anyone...

kevinlimse said:
lastly, none of this songs are interpreted correctly, if you want to seriously understand and appreciate, listen, hungarian rhapsody, and the transcendental etude by liszt, the pieces are played only with a piano, and they can produce and write compostions only with a pair of hands, so watch who u should hail more..

I don't think he meant it to be interpreted correctly. It was deliberately meant for a very special group of listeners - not for classical lovers.

Maksim reminded me of Hit on Classics, I if recall the series correctly. It was very popular in the early 80s - classical music played by an orchestra with a drum-machine in the background. I kind of liked it during those days. Then as I went more into music analysis and theory etc etc, it got on my nerves. Nevertheless, there's a place for that - just not in my music library.

But at least Maksim is way better than Richard Clayderman...

Cheez said:
Maksim reminded me of Hit on Classics, I if recall the series correctly...

Hooked On Classics. Ha..ha.. that one good leh. Helped me to digest music better.

let's look out for classical music performance and organise a gathering. let more SOFTies experience what is real and what is possible.

Latest posts

Back