Maksim Mrvica

excuse me... richard cladyerman is a different genre of music altogther hullo....

it is the same instrument, but his music is more on broadway, and much more culture than cult unlike classical music....

and furthur more, what special group of people,maksim is quoted saying in his first album release, he wanted to bridge people to classical music, so wat special group?

and the classics, u mean groups like uriah heep... i like them though...

Wow I'm surprised that this topic has been revived...

I would definitely like to post more about him but it seems that time is running short for me for the day...

I'll post some stuffs tomorrow....

Cheers

kevinlimse said:
and furthur more, what special group of people,maksim is quoted saying in his first album release, he wanted to bridge people to classical music, so wat special group?

The special group of people he refers to are young people who enjoy listening to pop music and have no interest in classical music whatsoever.

Usually classical music is enjoyed by mostly middle age adults and senior citizens. So I guess he wants to bridge the middle aged/senior citizens who enjoy classical music with the young people who have little or no interest in classical music....

He feels that by fusing comtemperory elements with traditional classical elements in his playing , the youths might get attracted to his music.

kevinlimse said:
and furthur more, what special group of people,maksim is quoted saying in his first album release, he wanted to <u>bridge</u> <u>people</u> to classical music, so wat special group?

you just answered your question yourself, kevinlimse.

the word "bridge" already implies that "people" are obviously not the classical music connosieurs, but the laymen, the ordinary listening crowd - which is that "special group" of listeners that cheez was referring to.

no... survey reports shows they know how to appreciate and the fact they are interested are enough to generate passion... as such they do not know how to interpret them music only

kevinlimse said:
for better interpretation of the music for people who do not know how to interpret proper music first...

kevinlimse said:
lastly, none of this songs are interpreted correctly

kevinlimse said:
he tries to bridge people to understand classical music more

so you're saying maksim tries to bridge <u>the people who do not know how to interpret classical music</u>, to understand classical music better by interpreting the pieces incorrectly?

kevinlimse said:
no........ they know how to appreciate......... they do not know how to interpret them music only

isn't this exactly what "lay man" means?

cambridge dictionary definition of 'lay' - not trained in or not having a detailed knowledge of a particular subject
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=45012&dict=CALD

so what exactly is it you are saying "no" to? you contradict yourself again and again. please explain clearly. no offence meant.

Wow, so many postings overnight.

OK, I know Richard Clayderman is a different breed from Maksim. The reason I said that was because dear Richard had attempted at some classical music like Tchaikovsky piano concerto no. 1, some Chopin's etudes etc - much to my dismay (and I believe the composers' as well, if they are still alive). The way Tchaikovsky's no. 1 was "interprested" by Richard sounded exactly like how Maksim "interpreted" Grieg's Piano Concerto no. 1. Maksim is however definitely techinically better. Still, both pieces were simplified (I have played both of them - not professionally of course).

As much as we classically trained dreaded wrong interpretation (or lack of it thereof), we cannot deny there is a niche for this type of hybrid. So, to each their own! I can still recall that the first time I heard Sibelius' Karelia Suite was from Hit on Classics. And believe it or not, that actually helped me in my theory exam (the part when we had to identify the excerpts of music)... In fact, Hit on Classics was where I heard most of the classical pieces for the first time - before I eventually got the "real" recordings. Same for many of my classically trained friends.

we all know maksim plays the piano, his main idea is to interpret music scores given to him correctly. the way the music is arranged is wrong.

wrong to the fact, it does not speak of the period, piano technicalities, dynamics, human voicing, all of this he has little or maybe much control, but he does not have the maturity to completely understand and express the scores.

in the pure classical realm, he is consisdered 2nd grade.

to he fact that he plays what we call crossover albums, or neo- classical, it is defined in music terms as a modern or different way of interpreting scores. thus the interepretation is not entirely accurate. yes, i do agree certain songs he does bring out the mood, but it still does not shbow clearly and do justice to the original arrangment.

for example, if any of u have maksim's secong album, variations 1 and 2, listen to his track called, piano concerto no.1 3rd movement in b flat minor.

compare it to the original recording from an orchestra, it does no justice.

lastly, cross over music main aims is to let ppl hu do not know classical music understand them, but after a while, it is time to let them hear pure classical music to not let them be mistaken of the incomplexities of a score.

Cheez said:
Wow, so many postings overnight..

i m sorry, i have to add, being an all rounded trained pianist, both in pop, classical and jazz, this is actually the wrong concept of understanding music, if our ears are not trained to subtle music qualities and minute changes and instrumental behaviour and agression, then what is a pianist or musician?

noinimod said:
haha i just happened to stumble upon this website
pretty cool!.

i m glad there are people here who realised his slowness and mis- interpretation of that song.... flight of the bumble bee.... slow tempo...

I agree with Kevinlimse that the live version of flight of the bumble bee from Roundhouse London is much slower as compared to his MTV. The tempo for his MTV is somehow exaggerated in a sense that I don't think any living human being pianist can acheive such speed. Another example to highlight his would be his latest MTV "Nostradamus" from his latest album. Towards the end of the song , you can see him almost shredding on the piano which in my point of view no single being can even do it!!!! But I was rather amazed at the amount of showmanship he portrays on the piano which I feel no other pianist I've come across has ever thought about it.

Maksim has great technical skills but it's just that his MTV exaggerates it for the sake of drawing more attention from the lay people especially the young.

Take a look at the MTV at www.maksimworld.com and you'll see what I mean....

To share a little bit being a maksim fan since the days of his first album....

It wasn't so much of his technical skills that attracted me to his playing but rather more of his fashion sense and showmanship. I know there are many other pianist in the world who are better than maksim in terms of technical skills and interpretation but what makes maksim stand out from the rest is basically just a thing of "being different from the rest".

His ideal image of a pianist completely changed my impression in what I use to generalise a pianist to be. For someone who listens to pop and rock music when Maksim entered the scene , I was like ,"whaoooo I wanna be like him!" It was his showmanship and sense of fashion that really appealled to me. It was then that I began to listen to his songs (during his first album days). That was how I came to know composers like Greig , Korsakov and Handel. Although the original version of his songs are of total contrast to his album , nonetheless I still appreciated the original interpretations of it mainly because "the interest is already there".

I really respect each person's views on Maksim. Like what Cheez mentioned before , it's either you love him or hate him. Love him for revolutionising classical or hate him for destroying classical music. For someone who has been learning classical music for almost his/her entire life , it's totally fine if you were to criticise him because after all you guys know your stuff pretty well and for someone who has just been recently exposed to classical music , I guess it's more of his charisma and fashion sense than his music.

Keep the replies coming in :)

kevinlimse said:
i m sorry, i have to add, being an all rounded trained pianist, both in pop, classical and jazz, this is actually the wrong concept of understanding music, if our ears are not trained to subtle music qualities and minute changes and instrumental behaviour and agression, then what is a pianist or musician?

I don't disagree with you. But the definition of music is constantly evolving. I don't have to agree with where the world is heading towards how they define music and musician although I hold strongly to my own view. I don't like the way Maksim plays just like you, I don't even think his technical skills are that great; I don't like his interpretation (or rather lack of interpretation in his case); I don't even like the way he dresses! But the fact is that people like him are coming out whether we like it or hate it; so I listen and watch him, criticise his playing, understand where the world is coming to in terms of their definition of music, and learn. From people like John Cage etc, we all know that music is hard to define. I mean, I even wrote 20th century music some time ago! Just to learn what it is about. Never did it again and just stayed with orchestral writing since. That doesn't mean 20th century music has no place in the world of music, just because I don't understand why Cage wrote "4 minutes 33 seconds".

I agree that there's more to music than what's in the world now. And I believe all who calls themselves musician should strive towards something "higher". But for those into it, we have to be careful not to create an elitist culture. That's probably what shuns the current generation away from classical music.

I can't stand techno type of music. But everytime I hear one droning in the background of a shopping mall, my ears tried to analyse it - break it down to why those repetitive ostinato-type arrangement that constantly gives me a headache. I actually tried to understand why people write like that. Why? Because my son is going to be exposed to even wierder music in his time 10-20 years down the track - I better keep up and help to educate him. Otherwise, pure classical players are going to be extinct.

haha...honestly..i don't really understand anything about 'classical' music, but i do know about interpretations, and i do value the composers' view, yeah..i love chopin's pieces coz he put on the emphasis on the music so beautifully, and to be honest, i love Yingwie Malmsteen's classical-rock pieces, and that's where (sadly) i first heard bach's pieces..yeah...

haha..and about the pure classical breeds....well... you gotta allow them to be immersed in whatever genres are 'in', or else, their style will never grow...and that's how it all started right? haha.....

MuL

p.s. any classical pieces that's nice and can be played on the guitar?

hhee..tried and am still trying to play the flight of the bumblebee... i'm kinda 'blind' when it comes to reading those classical notes, so can only rely on the tabs version...

i only took up to step 3 of the organ course, and that too was such a long long time ago. haha...yeah...i'll try the other piece though...thanks. =)

kevinlimse said:
u can try flight of the bumble bee or le campnella, by liszt etudes d' transcendental...

Just wondering , what's lizst etudes d'transcendental? Does it have anything to do with Liszt's studies or something?

Latest posts

Back