Liverpool FC Thread

You make your own luck!

1st equaliser - players take the initiative to put the opposition under pressure and make stupid mistakes.

2nd equaliser - players making the effort putting themselves inside the penalty box and makes the opposition defenders in two minds who they should "cover" :mrgreen:, instead of relying on Torres too score goals alone.

Winning goal - players take the initiative to win the game instead of just happy to win a single point.

Once again, you make your own luck. :twisted:

Also, we have 6 defenders on the field and yet can't even keep a clean sheet! :confused:

Last edited:
Starting line-up - 6 defenders, 1 holding midfielder, 2 inept strikers.....crazy crazy Benitez!! A win is a win, so not complaining. ;)

this was the starting formation rafa use against pompey:

-------------reina---------------------
-----skrtel---carra------agger---------
dossena---aurelio--mascherano-arbeloa-
-----benayoun-----babel--------------
-------------ngog---------------------

3-4-2-1. weird for me. seems kinda defensive in midfield.
just one question. is it just me, or does babel seem to be below-par this season? he miss a sitter just before nugent scored.

but nonetheless, we won! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
It shows that maybe some of Rafa's craziness is not so crazy after all, i mean, such a screwed up formation and we still won? Sure, Torres and Kuyt provided the goals but that's besides the point. Now, we gotta look into the defence, it hasn't been at the same level as the previous 3 seasons. Babel needs more games to sharpen up, he started more consistently last season and got quite a few goals, who can forget that 35 yard cracker at Chelski, although it was only a consolation? Babel is good, but if Rafa continues treating him like this, he won't last. Btw, he was Rafa's buy, not Rick Parry's. And i agree Parry shld go out.

Liverpool's win was largely due to the introduction of Alonso, Kuyt and Torres later on. The starting line-up was rather clueless and going nowhere. Babel kept giving the ball away and can't even score a sitter. N'gog is obviously not ready (or good enough) for PL football yet...period! The rest of the players did just ok.

However, I'm impressed with Benayoun and Aurelio. This is the first time I saw Aurelio played central midfield and he did quite a good job. Not as influential as Gerrard or Alonso, but he certainly held his own. IMO...this LB played a better CM role than that #@%$ Lucas!

Benitez thinks Lucas is a DM. He is not. He is a playmaker, a passer, and the performance against Newcastle showed that. A DM must be disciplined to stay and guard the midfield. Lucas likes to drift, and hence when he is placed as a DM, he in on a leash. Therefore, he is neither here nor there, as his roving instincts and his positional requirements are conflicting. He is not physical enough to be a DM, nor is he a good enough tackler, the red cards and the number of penalties given away show that. The reason he tackles is because he has to, as a DM. Once given Gerrard's role or something similar, he shld flourish. Paul Scholes was in a similar situation, but once he made the switch he went on to be a Man U fixture.

Benayoun is good but I prefer if he play just behind the striker (free role) instead of playing as a wide man. He tends to drift away from his position.

Babel ... aaiiii all I can say is that he needs to go inside the box more often when we attack instead of loitering :mrgreen: outside the box.

Our set-pieces are just not good ... either defending or taking it. Not sure what the coaches do at training ground, doesn't see much improvement.

The only time we look threatening when taking corners is when Hyypia is involve in the team.

Agreed, I think Agger has aerial presence aswell, but he hasn't been playing, maybe the contract talk and stuff? :confused:

Well Pompey was always dangerous on the set pieces with people like Crouch.

Benayoun can give the likes of Robinho and Bentley the run for their money. In my opinion, he is a very consistent winger and he's creative. Remember the hat-trick he scored last season against Marseille?

Aurelio has good technical abilities, so technically, he's able to play well as a holding midfielder. And he didn't fail. :D Perhaps Rafa should consider to develop Insua and use Aurelio more as a holding midfielder with Mascherano?

Babel is a definite quality player and everyone will have his ups and downs. I think it's his down this season. :O Rafa should extensively nurture him and use him on the right more often. I think he doesn't do well on the left, because ultimately, he isn't up to Henry's level yet and his left foot is weak.

Kuyt's goal reminded us how important Kuyt is. He had scored the important goals for us this season when Torres was out. We can't leave this hardworking guy out. He's definitely a gem, although he's got to put more efforts into his crossing.

Lucas is such a letdown. Rafa's got to re-think of his strategy when using Lucas. Perhaps pair Mascherano with Lucas so that the more formidable and vicious Mascherano can mop up the mess more much easily than Lucas? But Lucas ah... What Brazilian Gerrard are you?

Agger, in my opinion, should be paired with Skrtel cos aye, Carragher is growing old. :( Actually I don't want Carragher to grow old cos he's the best English defender in the game. The likes of John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, although good, can't match the valour and courage of Carragher has shown throughout his career in Liverpool.

Upz all ur points bro. I think that a good formation for weaker sides wld be: Reina, Arbeloa, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Alonso, Aurelio, Riera, Lucas, Babel, N'Gog. If Lucas can settle into the playmaker's position, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

West ham play well.
They should learn a thing or two from man u ie how to go down when someone tug at you and at look at the ref after that.

If the ref don't gives you anything than stay down for awhile and sulk ala Ronaldo :mrgreen: :twisted:.

Back