Liverpool FC Thread

Haha i thot Rafa was crazy when he left Riera, Alonso, Keane outta the starting lineup and put in Lucas and Mascherano, who haven't been too impressive this season. But after watching the match, i think he was really vindicated, they produced an immense performance. But i have to say, Shay Given is wah lau, toooooo good. I think Man U and Chelski better watch out liao, if they do this with the entire first team, the league is ours. Now, to outlast them to the title! And yes, i love Fulham too!

Liverpool needs to just get a right-back for January. Insua is so good that even Aurelio might not even get the chance to play that often anymore. Dossena can just return to Italy...

I wonder why Mascherano has been consistently left out. In my opinion, Mascherano is a world-class hardworking talented CDM who deserves to play at every opportunity. He was impressive yesterday with his stop-play tackles.

Newcastle's defence was so hopeless that I couldn't help but to laugh when Babel virtually got the free shot which led to his 2nd goal of the season.

Newcastle = joke. Owen, you're better off back with us. :D

Actually i feel quite sad for 'em, they have some quality players in Duff, Owen, Martins, N'Zogbia. Problem is, they're all attackers, what they need are midfielders to provide service and defenders that actually win the ball.

Never really rate Glen Johnson but I must say I'm disappointed in Rafa. Instead of spending $$$ on new players, we should let our youngster play.

He spend around 7 mil, if I'm not mistaken, for Dossena and it seems that one of our youth are much more better than him!

The same goes for a couple of defenders that he brought in to the club but just can't make the cut.

Dossena just lacks speed! His crosses are accurate, from what Ive seen. Rafa has been letting youngsters slowly into the 1st 11. Insua has been performing recently, and thus rewarded with a place in the 1st 11. Nabil El Zhar and David N'gog are both young players given chances in the 1st 11. Soon, more players like Nemeth will come up from the academy and break into the 1st 11. All this needs time, as Liverpool is pushing forward for a title, match experience from players are vital.

On Glen Johnson, I think paying 9m for him would be a tad overboard, but I've seen him play a couple of times, he's good, but I'm sure there are better to get for a price. Rafa probably doesn't want to risk getting a player who needs more time adapting to the league as 2009 is going to be an intense year, and he'd probably need someone who can fit in straight to the pace and intensity of the league.

I don't think lfc youth can break into the 1st 11 unless there are injuries or what not.

Just look at the current 1st team and non of them comes from youth player.
Strikers - Keane/Torres/Kuyt
Mid - Gerrard/Alonso/Mach/Riera/Benayoun/Babel
Def - Arbeloa/Carra/Dossena/Aurelio/Skrtel/Hyypia/Agger

Youngsters that are given games and sold:
Guthrie
Mellor
Warnock
Le Tallec
Sinama Pongolle

So lfc youngsters will have a tough time to break into the 1st 11.

But they're being slowly introduced in. When Liverpool needs speed upfront or on the flanks, Nabil El Zhar is always introduced. Gaining experience little by little is better than not playing at all. These are just a few names from a wide array of young players at liverpool, Rafa has been developing the youth squad more and more, signing younger players to be trained up in Melwood, if you keep track of Liverpool's signings. Doing much more compared to previous manager, Houllier.

"Introduced in" Yes but will they stay?

Damien Plessis did a good job when he start for liverpool against arsenal but will he get to stay at the club cos look at our midfield - Mash/Alonso/Lucas/Gerrard.

We also have a couple of good right back in our reserve/youngster squad but rafa decide to sign Degen cos he's a free agent (although I think he was paid 2 mil as a sign on fee) but his performance everytime he plays just not epl standard.

I won't be surprise if Rafa decide to sell Plessis, El Zhar or even Insua!!
Or letting go of Dossena, Agger, Degen. :mrgreen:

Haha, well, players do age, I'm sure they would stay.
Bear in mind the players you mentioned was not signed or trained from the start under Rafa, it was all Houllier.

Degen hasn't even played that much, so injury prone, I'm sure he'd go. :cool:

Doubt Agger would go, all his performances was superb. Hyypia would soon be retiring, and Carragher has at the most another 3 years at his peak?
Alonso is near his 30s, so is Steven Gerrard, I'm sure there will be openings.

Maybe the introduction is to filter out those who can handle the league, and those who can't.

Plessis, Agger, Insua shld stay. Degen, and Dossena shld go. Rafa seems to prefer letting the reserves in bit by bit and he's doing a pretty good job, i mean, case in point, N'castle got thrashed by almost sub team. G.Johnson, i wld welcome, he's got stronger attacking instincts than Arbeloa, and can cover for Kuyt's lack of speed. 9m is too steep, 7.5m shld be good enough for him, although tony adams isn't stupid, he will try to hold on.

The Mail quotes a former Liverpool skipper, Ronnie Whelan, on the title race - he's backing United to beat his old club to the prize next May. Whelan said: "United have been through it and done it so often - the manager has done it so many times, and many players have done it so many times. I still make them slight favourites ahead of Liverpool."

Well not every Liverpool fan or ex-personel favours the title to make its way to Anfield.

I prefer us not being fav to lift the title just like in 2005 CL. :cool:

Just look at Arsenal last season. They lead the table and are fav to win the title. Adebayor even says that if Arsenal did not win the title, he will quit playing football!! :rolleyes:

We know what happen. They keep dropping points after points and finally finish 3rd.

It's not where you are at the beginning or mid season, it's where you finish in May that's matter.

Whelan who?

Well not every Liverpool fan or ex-personel favours the title to make its way to Anfield.

You took the quote from the wrong pundit.

Ex-Pool players like Whelan and Mark Lawrenson are known by supporters to be complete idiots who like to compare their illustrious past to the current Liverpool side...somewhat an ego trip for them. That is why they never ever say anything positive about the present Liverpool team regardless of its achievements. Such is their deliberate cynicism that they laid a low profile for a few months when Liverpool won the CL and FA Cup in '05 and '06 before they bashed Rafa and his boys again. If you want better opinions and comments from ex-Pool pundits, check out Rush, Dalglish or Barnes. Even Hansen and McMahon who can be critical of Liverpool at times will give credit when credit is due.

Latest posts

Back