Liverpool FC Thread

Barry is overrated and not even worth 15 million quid. Martin O'Neil is nuts (and a greedy one too) for asking for more. Yeah, gimme Alonso...anytime, anyday.

it seems obvious that soft is not the place to go to for the latest in club transfers. discussions here look like they are on par with 'expert' The New Paper articles. looks like i will have to inject some substance.

13/06/2008 09:46
O'Neill No Longer Confident On Barry

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is famously a man of fighting words, so his latest comments on the ongoing Barry saga suggested that he is already partway resigned to losing his most reliable performer.

"It's very frustrating. We finished sixth last year and he was a major part of that," O'Neill sighed.

"He's been a splendid player for us for some considerable time and we want to try and improve because the club are capable of doing that.

"But if Manchester United are struggling to keep hold of (Cristiano) Ronaldo then the rest of us are in a bit of trouble. It's difficult but if we have to go on without Gareth Barry then we'll still have a go," he added.

"Gareth and I had a little chat when he got back from holiday and he has said he would fancy going to Liverpool. That's obviously a big setback to us, but the offer from Liverpool is just not acceptable.
13/06/2008 10:09
Rame: No Regrets Over Rejecting Rafa

Bordeaux keeper Ulrich Rame was refreshingly sincere in his explanation for why he passed on the chance to sign for Liverpool

Rafa Benitez set his sights on the 36-year-old in a search for a more reliable understudy for Jose Reina than he seems to reckon current backup Charles Itandje to be.

Rame turned down the opportunity for a big increase in pay, however, and has now revealed that it was because he doubted he could force his way into the reckoning at Anfield.
12/06/2008 15:32
Quaresma: I Have Signed For A Big Club

Porto and Portugal ace Ricardo Quaresma has been quoted as revealing he has signed for a big club, but will not say more, presumably before the end of EURO 2008...

Quaresma has been linked with a move away from the Portuguese champions for several months now, with Real Madrid and Internazionale the clubs most regularly linked with the audacious winger. Chelsea and Liverpool have also been named as potential suitors in far less substantial reports.
12/06/2008 15:47
Liverpool, Man City In For Stankovic - Report

Internazionale's unsettled Dejan Stankovic is set to leave club as the new era under Jose Mourinho begins. Might he end up in the Premier League?

Mark Hughes' Manchester City are reported to have made initial contact with the player's representatives, as have Liverpool, with Rafael Benitez looking to expand his creative midfield options.

Last edited:
12/06/2008 13:48
Redknapp Still Wants Crouch At Pompey

If the price is right, says Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp, he still wants to bring Peter Crouch back to Fratton Park

Liverpool have pinned a £15 million price tag on England striker Peter Crouch - and although Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp would like the player, that valuation is considerrably higher than the South Coast club are prepared to pay.

12/06/2008 11:23
Moyes Targeting Liverpool's Benayoun?

Everton manager David Moyes is reportedly looking to do a bit of Merseyside trading, with a move for neighbours Liverpool's Israel international Yossi Benayoun said to be on his transfer agenda.

Yossi Benayoun could make the short trip across Stanley Park from Anfield to Goodison this summer, if reports that Everton boss David Moyes is planning a bid for him are accurate.

Moyes is believed to be looking for midfielders, and the stylish Israeli certainly fits that bill.

And Benayoun could be receptive to a switch. Although he is a regular member of Rafael Benitez's first team squad, he has not been getting a great deal of starts or even that many substitute appearances at Anfield.

And it is an open secret that Benitez is keen to bring in Gareth Barry from Aston Villa - a purchase which, if accomplished, would heighten competition in midfield and further restrict Benayoun's first team chances.

12/06/2008 09:34
Liverpool Must Sell To Buy Riera

Rafa Benítez is hoping to use the money the sale of Xabi Alonso to Juventus generates to bring in Albert Riera from Espanyol after the European Championships concludes.

The Liverpool boss knows that he will have to sell in order to finance a higher bid for the former Manchester City wideman, while saving the bulk of his transfer kitty for Gareth Barry, according to AS.

After having a €9.5m bid rejected recently, Benítez is determined to return with a €12m offer for Riera, which indications have already shown is likely to be accepted.

12/06/2008 09:15
Milner-Pennant Swap In The Works?

According to the latest reports emanating out of England, Newcastle are strongly considering accepting a swap deal put forward by Liverpool that would see James Milner leave St. James' Park in exchange for Jermaine Pennant.

British daily The Mirror alleges that Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has made a significant breakthrough in his quest to lure Milner, 22, to Anfield, and now all that stands between the completion of the deal is to wrangle over how much cash will be included along with Pennant.

Should the reports be validated, it would represent a dramatic improvement on the Reds' opening offer as Newcastle were said to be downright insulted by Liverpool's proposal of switching Argentine full-back Emiliano Insua, central defender Jack Hobbs and one other youth prospect in exchange for Milner.

Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill was livid when Benitez attempted to capture Gareth Barry with a similar deal, though he won't be best pleased to learn of this news either as Villa were reportedly keen on £7million-rated Milner as well.

12/06/2008 07:47
Plenty Of Offers For Riise - AgentJohn Arne Riise continues to edge toward an Anfield exit, after his agent revealed there have been numerous offers for the Liverpool left-back…

The arrival of Italian defender Andrea Dossena means the former Aalesund man is likely to get the chop this summer, with Serie A side Roma heavily tipped as a possible destination.

And Riise’s agent Jan Kvalheim, while reluctant to discuss his client’s future, admitted there has been no shortage of offers for the aggressive wing-back.

He told VG: “There are many clubs who have been interested in the last few weeks, but it’s nothing I want to comment on.”

11/06/2008 15:44
Juventus Enhance Alonso Offer

Juventus have increased their bid for Liverpool’s Xabi Alonso as they attempt to lure the midfielder to Turin.

The Bianconeri are keen on the Spanish international and recently Giovanni Cobolli Gigli confirmed the club are in on-going talks with the Reds for the midfielder.

However, so far talks have hit a brick wall as Liverpool are not willing to budge on the £15m price tag.

According to reports in Italy, Juve only wanted to offer half of what Liverpool were asking for but now it seems as if the Old Lady has upped the ante as she attempts to prize Alonso away from Anfield.

Stadio News 24 claims the Old Lady has offered Liverpool €18m (£14.2m) which is still slightly off the £15m that the Reds are asking for.

However, it is likely that the Merseysiders will accept this latest offer as the Bianconeri are not looking to move any further up on their latest bid.

i hope alonso don't go.
but we need the money to buy other players so you do the math.
we'll miss you xabi!

C'mon man...........Benitez shld 4get abt Barry and concentrate on Milner instead. Finally, some quality on the flanks, although he is English and cld be inconsistent. But from what i've seen, he's got plenty of class and cld a new Beckham in the making. Now it's said that Alonso wants to stay. When will this end? As for Riise, bye bye to the man who won the Champions League final place for Chelsea, he's off to Roma.

Bye Riise. I'll miss your left foot but definitely not your right. Oh yeah, James Milner! Finally, an english player!

Gareth Barry, please stay in Aston Villa. Alonso, please stay in Liverpool! I'd rather have 1 Alonso than 10 Gareth Barry.

What about Michael Johnson? He'll be a great catch.

argh riise is gone. ): brilliance on the left flank. i think he was better running down the wing than at the back.

argh riise is gone. ): brilliance on the left flank. i think he was better running down the wing than at the back.

Sure, we had him presenting Chelsea an early summer present as a defender. But yeah, I'll miss his venomous left leg. I hope he does well in his future endeavours.

Haha, maybe Benitez shld have played him as an attacking midfielder. I tried that in FM 08 and it worked a dream! Anyways, i hope Benitez can get a coupla quality wingers this transfer season. David Silva will be a start. Maybe Bastian Schweinsteiger? He's indicated his interest in the BPL. Milner may be English but dun 4get he's super injury prone and he isn't that good, certainly not a star.

Pretty sad. Riise should be remembered for his great left foot, and this great goals for Liverpool. He brought quite a few important goals during the champions league. lovelovelovelove it, he made 1 mistake, Liverpool IS still the top team in Europe. Just lost an amazing player.

I see alot of people talking about wingers, here's an excerpt from a column of liverpoolfc.tv, makes alot of sense.

On signings:

" But I'm always more interested in judging how someone does for Liverpool, while allowing for a period of adaptation, rather than damning someone for what they did previously and then turning on them after the first couple of games.

I work from the basis that the manager knows a lot more than me and pretty much every last fan out there. The scouts know a lot more, too. All of them have seen the player in question more than me, and will have extensively studied his game, and possibly his lifestyle, temperament, etc, as well. "

On wingers:

" I think some fans get it into their heads that a team must have two out-and-out wingers, two attacking full-backs and, at most, one defensive midfielder. When dreaming, it's easy to forget the realities of balance.

There's also the issue of two out-and-out strikers, an obsession that is so outdated it's amazing how it still gets incessantly mooted. Again if we must compare with our rivals, we can see that none of them utilise two up front.

These days, 4-4-2 is almost always 4-4-1-1 or other variations on the theme. To work, it needs to be like Rush and Dalglish -- and that was to all intents and purposes 4-4-1-1. "

i don't agree with that article. it underlines the problem with the english mentality - too much emphasis on formations, too little emphasis on personnel. you should always use a formation that complements the abilities of the players you have. you don't dream of a formation in your sleep and then experiment with players. that is why english coaches are shite when it comes to the highest level.

i also agree that two out-and-out strikers cannot work. but i don't agree that it is outdated. because never in my memory was it a system ever in use in the first place. in whatever passage of play that could possibly occur during the course of a match, there will always be a center forward and striker relationship. this is not to say that these roles cannot be interchanged during the course of a match. this depends on the environment, such as the strategy of the opponents and defensive marking. how often do you see fernando torres so heavily marked that it leaves gerrard space to bomb through? precisely the point.

but enought about formations

the new LFC away kit is... in short... SHIT

away-kit-med.jpg

absolutely dreadful

Yeah! He might as well spend spend 3 quarters on that on Schweinsteiger and still have some left.l I jus hope Crouch stays. He has a great scoring record and he's one of the few English players who are genuinely talented. In any case, with Berbatov wanting out, Juande Ramos will be desperate to keep at least 1 star striker. He won't go easily.

Yeah, I really hope Crouch stays. He has the ability to score, just not the right player to partner torres.

Welcome Andrea Dossena, newest Liverpool signing.

I really hope he doesn't flop in the EPL like so many other Italians. Last season Rolando Bianchi, formerly of Man City was total crap, no wonder he's back in Italy now. But its good to have a replacement for Riise and a backup for Aurelio. With Emiliano Insua, there'll be enough cover for the LB position.

Haha yeah! I really he hope like Torres he'll be the standout among his fellow countrymen who tried and failed but finally he was the man who broke all laws and against all odds succeeded.

Back