Liverpool FC Thread

hmmm u mean rafa already interested in "enginerring" a move to a big club to fight for big thropy? ... maybe its a ploy to keep losing so that pool wud release him????
well no what i mean is ... oh nvm. arse still doesn't know how big the cl is :mrgreen: :twisted:

true, but we do share the optimism and hope as steven gerrard in lifting his first BPL cup. :p

maybe rafa wants to go back to valencia & have stevie G liftthe cl for him as capt of valencia?

who knows sia? in this day & age - cant say one ...

maybe rafa wants to go back to valencia & have stevie G liftthe cl for him as capt of valencia?

cannot la, steven gerrard born and bred and probably will retire at anfield having played there for the longest time ever. i don't think he'd go to valencia to go for CL cup again. he feel malu cos an englishman like him playing for one of the greatest english team, very rich in history and not get a touch on the BPL cup.

so i'll say he stays.

valencia?

over9000_facepalm.gif

if henry can cabut to barca to win himself the cl's winners medal than i don't think stevie g will stay at lfc past next season.

he has won uefa/cl/fa/league wiiners medal and all that is missing for him is the pl's winners medal. the fans can't blame him if he decide to leave lfc for teams like shitty cos lfc don't have the $$ to give to the manager who tends to spend on crappy players.

unlike mournhino aka "the special one", he can splurge on 30m on a crappy def/striker and still has more $$ to buy ... well more crappy players :mrgreen:.

so next season is probably his final season with lfc, he's not getting any younger so it's time for him to move on to richer clubs who have the dough to win the title. i won't even be surprise if this season his is final season with us.

so next season is probably his final season with lfc, he's not getting any younger so it's time for him to move on to richer clubs who have the dough to win the title. i won't even be surprise if this season his is final season with us.

lelong ..... :mrgreen:

Lyon through as Liverpool teeter

A last-minute leveller from Lisandro fired Olympique Lyonnais into the UEFA Champions League knockout stage for the seventh season running, cancelling out Ryan Babel's superb strike and delivering a major blow to Liverpool FC's qualifying hopes.
Late drama
It looked as though the visitors' campaign had been revived by Babel's pinpoint 20-metre shot on 83 minutes as a close game burst into life in the dying moments. Liverpool had produced a spirited performance, keeping OL quiet for long periods and forcing Hugo Lloris to make a series of fine saves. Yet with seconds remaining, Michel Bastos's flicked header sent Lisandro galloping into the penalty area, and the Argentinian supplied a cool finish over the advancing Pepe Reina. The draw means Lyon are guaranteed a top-two spot in Group E, while Liverpool fall five points adrift of second-placed ACF Fiorentina.
Attacking intent
Mindful of his side's urgent need for points, Rafael Benítez filled his midfield with attacking players, although Yossi Benayoun, Andriy Voronin and Dirk Kuyt all showed impressive defensive discipline early on as the Reds' compact formation denied Lyon space. Aside from long-range efforts from Bastos and Bafétimbi Gomis, both claimed easily by Reina, there was little threat from the home team in a tense first half shaded by Liverpool.

Insúa inspiration
Boosted by the presence of Fernando Torres despite a groin problem, the five-time European champions raided with purpose whenever an opportunity arose. Emiliano Insúa laid on the match's first chance for Torres on 12 minutes, the Spaniard meeting his cross with a low first-time strike that Lloris saved with his boot. Anthony Réveillère was struggling with an injury when Insúa found room again moments later, this time squaring for Benayoun whose control teed up Kuyt only for Lloris to tip over the Dutchman's volley.

Lloris excels
Réveillère was subsequently replaced, soon to be followed by another injury victim Miralem Pjanić, as OL's concerns grew. Fortunately for Claude Puel's charges, Lloris was very much on his game, the France goalkeeper brilliantly denying Voronin, again with his foot, after the Ukrainian had latched on to a long through pass. The contest remained tight and tactical as both sides probed but failed to find the killer pass. Aly Cissokho tried hard to stir the Ligue 1 outfit early in the second period, twice surging up the left and delivering good crosses, yet Ederson rifled the first over before Bastos's looping header sailed narrowly over the crossbar.
Fine stops
Most of the good openings were going to the Merseysiders, however, and only another wonderful Lloris stop kept Liverpool at bay when Insúa picked out Lucas, who had ghosted into space on the left of the penalty area. The Brazilian's placed attempt looked goalbound but Lloris displayed stunning reflexes by thrusting out his left hand, Cissokho clearing Kuyt's overhead follow-up effort off the line. Not to be outdone, Reina then pulled off a fine save at the other end, rushing out to foil Lisandro after Sotiris Kyrgiakos's weak back-header, and it seemed as though that save would prove crucial when Babel found the top corner with a thunderous strike. However, there was to be no denying Lisandro, and Lyon, at the last.

Last edited:

gerrard wont go anywhere, the last time he handed in a transfer request he received death threats by his adoring fans

Lyon's keeper made couple of fine saves in this match and it will be hard for the reds cos Fiorentina will meet Lyon with Lyon already through to the next round.

More importantly for rafa and the reds is the next match against birmingham. They did good against shitty and it was a brilliant performance from Given that gives shitty that point.

liverpool should stop trying to achieve the goal of the season, start defending properly and taking their chances.

have no idea what Kyrgiakos was doing, made 2 major errors, one cost us the last minute goal.

ryan babel was quite mediocre despite his super goal, lucas was okay as well, should have scored the 1 on 1. voronin was... frustrating.

all comes down the the depth of the squad we have again, bleah! all we can do now is hope for the best.
YNWA!

Another game without a win.
Don't understand why Rafa and his coaches don't work on our set pieces esp corner kick. Same old stuff - ball always send to near post when there's no red players there.
Ngog looks good, should play alongside Torres in 4-4-2 formation. Both of them are different type of players and could pose a problem for the opposition defenders.

i think most fans, even the hardcore ones will agree with me that liverpool's bpl chances are all but none.

its either chelsea or arsenal for the title, if arsenal's youngsters can play every game like they are now, i dont think anyone can stop them.
chelsea on the other hand, are super organised, loads of talent on the bench and all their players are physically and mentally strong, will take something special to beat them.

i think liverpool shld concentrate on qualifying for the CL this season, as for the CL itself, let's hope 2005 happens again. there's the FA cup to work for too.

Reactions: fgl
i think most fans, even the hardcore ones will agree with me that liverpool's bpl chances are all but none.

its either chelsea or arsenal for the title, if arsenal's youngsters can play every game like they are now, i dont think anyone can stop them.
chelsea on the other hand, are super organised, loads of talent on the bench and all their players are physically and mentally strong, will take something special to beat them.

i think liverpool shld concentrate on qualifying for the CL this season, as for the CL itself, let's hope 2005 happens again. there's the FA cup to work for too.

i totally agree with you on this although i'm not enough of a proverbial suckup (unlike some here) to Up Points for your comment just cos you praised the team they support. Who the hell cares about the damn points anyways? apparently some people here think that by giving them out (& then posting about it?), it'll get them free gifts or something.

as for the league, it's anyones guess who will lift the trophy at the end of the season. anything can happen between now and May 2010. of course the odds are stacked on liverpool to take it cos of this bad run we're having. but i rmb that this time last year, the other fans on these boards were very quiet when pool were on the up & performing well. Strange thing is, I don't recall any LFC fans here laughing or gloating at the misfortunes of the other teams. But now, we have fans (esp the ones from the south east of london) taking the chance to laugh & ridicule us at our bad run now... sad indeed

HOOOHOOOO ... WISH I CUD UP POOL'S POINTS ... SEEM LIKE THEY NEED IT THE MOST :mrgreen::cool::p

hahahaha... save your pathetic points for sucking up to the people in here when they compliment on your beloved team.

in the meantime, i wish Pool could give arse some of the trophys we have won over the years. seems like THEY need it also... ;-)

Back