Keyboard questions...(Organ -> keyboard?)

Well..we dont need to play the piano ... but we have to be able to play 2 "classical" pieces...(during the exam only one is required) .. I think thats what ur friend means...the exam is not easy...totally...but i still got thru it...so i guess anyone else can...

The reason why classical pieces are introduced only at grade 5 is that for the earlier grades, we are more exposed to pop, rock, ballads, fusion, funk, jazz...classical is just not our stuff...so at grade 5 it is added in cause using the electone to play a classical piece is quite a challenge...

Imagine..we are so used to using our legs as base its not that easy for us to play broken chords for the whole song (Like some classical piece) Also, we are not used to the changes in key and time signatures suddenly although they appear at times when we play pop or fusion...And one more thing..we have to use both keyboards of the organ to play cause we do not have enough keys on the upper and lower keyboard alone...u guys get what i mean right?

Anyway thanks a lot for those info...haha...i am still wondering ... if i'm really serious bout this band thing...must i get BOTH a keyboard and synth.?

ok, nothing beats seeing the real thing. go to City Music and ask for Mike. Tell him you are a SOFT member and like to know more about synth/keyboard.

Lol... i'm just average... btw anyone know where i could get a 20note pedal board for keyboards? i know it sounds strange..but i found it online...but only available in US ... hmm...one of them is roland pk5 and pk7

Hmm.. I guess it wouldn't really matter and you definately wouldn't be wasting away your grades in the organ. But selling it away ? Maybe you should think twice. I wanted to sell my piano away too. But on second thoughts , I didn't. Because I still touch it once in awhile when I'm down in my moods. Haha.. Nice meeting you. :D

Basically i felt really sad recently as i discovered that learning electone doesn't really have chances to perform and etc.

School's keyboard doesn't have split sound function to have higher and lower zone to have different sounds, so i am like totally unable to play at school, even though i really wish to ( Oppotunity came like Talent time etc. ).

So recently i kept having the idea of selling away my Electone. Even though i still enjoy playing it.

But after reading this thread, i am much more relived! :) As i am always interested in joining a band.

hey man, as long as you play keyboards,
you can play any keyboards, maybe piano you need more practise

yeah! it's like how a guitarist can play various guitars (acoustic, electric, 7 string) because it's more or less the same group of instruments, you can learn to switch between all the "keys" type of instruments! just needs practice ;)

Compare to those people who learn piano,

People who learn electone...
- can control expression pedal (ie. volume) more effectively (get used to it liao mah...). :D
- more sentitive to chord, :wink:
- know each sounds better. (eg. when you learn electone, if you use trumpet sounds, you must also sounds like "playing" trumpet.) :lol:
- left hand not as flexible as people who learn piano. :(
- can't control sustain pedal as good as people who learn piano. :(

well that really depends... i my friend plays the keyboards and she has awesome pedal and two hand control! :D

she even loops the effects through her tiny zoom guitar fx pedal, cute!

mingguan said:
- left hand not as flexible as people who learn piano. :(

Not quite. Piano players tend to include the bass in their left hands. Organ players uses the pedal as their bass, hence their left hand it more trained to play chords and inversion of chords + rhythm. They may therefore fit in easier with a band. Many (not all) piano players have to re-learn not to play the bass with their left hand since that is already covered by the bass player.

cheez is right... in a band, 'traditional' keyboardist's left hand tends to get in the way of the bassists... best to tell them to tie their left hand up behind their back.. lol. Its kind of a reflex thing for a lot of keyboardists to want to play the low notes but it ends up muddying the sound of the band.

btw i have a friend who is the most excellent keyboardist i've ever met and he started out on electone as well when he was young.. :lol: so electone is not so bad. :lol:

yeah, electone is a good way to introduce pop-style (as opposed to classical) keyboard playing as it defines the main instrumentations and voices (bass, rhythm, melody etc) in a simple and clear-cut manner.

iansoh said:
yeah, electone is a good way to introduce pop-style (as opposed to classical) keyboard playing as it defines the main instrumentations and voices (bass, rhythm, melody etc) in a simple and clear-cut manner.

Looks like Piano vs Electone debates are going to be like Mac vs PC, BMW vs Mercedes, etc type of debates, eh? :lol:
I've found Electone players tend to have a QUICKER grasp of sequencing, which includes the sense of orchestration (due to the different sounds they have already experienced in Electone) as well as the concept of playing in PARTS (right hand, left hand and pedals ARE different parts in most cases), which lets the Electone player adapt faster in a studio/band/arranger/producer situation. Of course, this is by and large my observation and not to say that ALL piano players are always slow in the above situations! :p

In fact, when I hire teachers for my music technology school, MOST of the time, if the applicant is from the Electone background, he/she would always show this quality almost immediately - and usually get hired! :lol:

QF

qfactor said:
I've found Electone players tend to have a QUICKER grasp of sequencing, which includes the sense of orchestration (due to the different sounds they have already experienced in Electone)

Err, not so sure here! You may be right though. But so far people I know who sequences need not have electone background (me included). As for sense of orchestration, most people I know tend to have classical background (me included) - of which electone is not.

But people with electone background certainly can use their skills in keyboard playing. Nothing we learned in the past goes to waste!

Cheez said:
qfactor said:
I've found Electone players tend to have a QUICKER grasp of sequencing, which includes the sense of orchestration (due to the different sounds they have already experienced in Electone)

Err, not so sure here! You may be right though. But so far people I know who sequences need not have electone background (me included). As for sense of orchestration, most people I know tend to have classical background (me included) - of which electone is not.

But people with electone background certainly can use their skills in keyboard playing. Nothing we learned in the past goes to waste!

Ha,ha! :lol:
As I mentioned this is based on MY view from the people I've encountered - some who have piano and some electone background. But by far the electone background ones seem quite consistent, compared to the piano background :)
Of course, this could also come down to how MANY are the "people" you've come across and how many people I've come across that gave me my conclusion as opposed to yours, eh? :wink:
But like you said, NOTHING goes to waste - THAT'S the important thing :D

Right on!

QF

Back