Keyboard questions...(Organ -> keyboard?)

electone players of course can improvise and solo easily becos it's part of electone training but I've seen some electone players with terrible fingering.
for electone players to play hammer action piano may take some time.

pianist may have some difficulty in the begining without a book in front of them to play but given time of course they can do it. the theory and the practical training of course gave them good foundation.

I'm unaware of the theory course for electone. ABRSM theory course gives us solid music understanding.

People like Mr_KeyboardMan is the rare breed and the luckier ones with both training

qfactor said:
I see. Well, on the pianists/electone players' ability (or inability) to improvise, I think I'd have seen/auditioned almost 150 people and perhaps 10% can do it? So that about equals the 8-10 people you know, eh? I guess that's about the same number of people we know, then! :wink:

QF

That's interesting! The 8-10 are the those who are VERY good. I know of many others as well - not so good but can still improvise OK. This come from about 30-40 pianists whom I know of - so my stats is about 25%. But then the people I know tend to be the more trained pianists, so may not be generalisable to the rest of Singapore.

In your audition, how many electone players can improvise well? How do they fare compared to the 10% pianists? Just curious.

What audition did you do? I guess your audition may not be representative either - since the better pianists may not have gone for your audition. The good ones tend to become piano teachers, performers etc. It will be interesting to do a poll here in SOFT and see!

hi people,
maybe this is going a bit out of thread...
let's cool things down lah...

there are very smart people out there who pass the ABRSM exams with flying colours but do not take music as a career. these people may be lawyers, doctors, high calibre professionals. it is not unusual if they can improvise very well. music is one of an intelligent benchmark
besides other form of intelligence like language, verbal, emotional, etc.

errr... maybe let's let back to the topic featured here.

so what is what?

Bongman, no worries lah! There's no menace in my post. Just friendly exchange of ideas. I'm just really curious about those who improvise - what's their makeup and their background. This can give us a better understanding on the situation - ie a general lack of people who knows how to improvise well. Then: (a) for the music teachers who teaches improvisation, they can know who they can target their market, (b) the pianists/electone players can know how they can improve their improvisation skills (probably by cross-learning from one another - like keyboard_man!), (c) I'll know what to do next time when a pianist/electone player ask me to teach him improvisation (based on his background). All these info are actually quite interesting. That's why qfactor's numbers interest me a lot. :)

But you're right. We are getting off topic... err, by the way, what is the original topic? :wink:

curently there is a school at Bugis Junction call Play-By-Ear
target at adults who wants to learn music especially for lesiure
but not for exams. the school teaches improvisation.

Hi everyone. :) Basically what I think an organ player is stronger in rhythmic sense (I guess so far nobody in this discussion raise this up), since organ player plays most of the songs with the rhythms accompaniment on. But their fingers strength are generally weaker than piano player due to the touch of the organ/keyboard is generally lighter.

just some personal observation. because I got to know quite a lot of piano players and organ players.

interesting discussion..

well for me..i was organ trained from pvte instructors till I enrolled into Cristofori for formal organ lessons.. In between I switched to piano just for a year didnt quite like it ( still young then) so i went back to organ..

As a keyboardist yeps, the weighted keys was a big prob for me man...
but Organ lessons/exams is gd training for sound selection as u have to choose your own sound combinations and all, play with rythm etc..

BUT MY LEFT HAND suffered coz of the litle piano training hehehe almost lifeless left hand now..

Back