Iron Maiden is?

MadWereWolfBoy said:
i keep hearing that they're metal... but really, is it cuz of the "Iron" in their name? or do they really play metal?

Metallica has the word metal in its name.

But they don't play metal. ;)

:?

I thought metallica is still metal? The new one i mean...Nu-metal or sumthin..The old one thrash metal ryte?

detroit_red said:
I've always wondered why people cared about what genre of music a specific artist is. Not attacking anyone, but why? I've seen stuff like these asked so much. Iron Maiden? Bubble gum pop la!

Well for me, the only reason why I want to find out what genre of music a band plays is because I do not want to end up buying something which sounds like backstreetboys or high5 (no offence). You know what I mean la. Maiden is bubble gum pop? Being sarcastic huh..

Jr-V said:

I thought metallica is still metal? The new one i mean...Nu-metal or sumthin..The old one thrash metal ryte?

Posts like this make me feel old :(

Yes Metallica were a thrash band, if not THE thrash band from Kill Em All in 83, which is considered by some to be the first official thrash metal release ever, to the Black album in 91...5 albums that put them at the top of the metal world

Load and Reload were not thrash metal releases(some would argue so was the Black album) but rather more of a hybrid of very basic metal, in terms of tone, and really heavy rock, some stoner rock as well perhaps..I found them to be good releases personally if you try not to think or remember that these were the same guys who were thrash metal innovators....

St Anger was a supposed promise return to a more thrashy affair which I think they did but was just let down by bad song arangement...there are actually some killer tracks on the album(Sweet Amber, StAnger, Shoot me Again, All Within My Hands), if you look past their past and what is deemed by some as one of the worst commercial productions ever...

but you gotta admit, after 3 albums of superb sound quality, it took a lot of guts to release something with that snare sound

Iron Maiden is totally NWOBHM ( New Wave of British Heavy Metal) and before Maiden came out, there are not alot of heavy bands as them. Thats why they are labelled Heavy Metal. Heavier bands to come out later are labelled as Thrash, Death, etc etc.

metallica, iron maiden ... they dun stick to a particular sound.. alwys changing.. [i think maiden is getting heavier now as compared to then] meaning they're flexible.. so.... respectx~ :smt038

detroit_red said:
... Iron Maiden? Bubble gum pop la!

Man... some things, you don't poke fun at...
Iron Maiden is one of the most true-to-their-roots metal band around today, even more after the horrible ozzfest incident. How many decades and still playing homage to heavy metal. Respect is needed here.

Its like saying BB King, no feel lah!

MadWereWolfBoy said:
i thought the prominent feature of metal was the heavily scooped mids and heavily distorted guitar that doesn't have a hint of vintage? more like the heavy use of metal pedals type of distort

Eh... scooped mids are a thing of the past... :) THough useful for certain things, you should be aware that scooping your mids will make your guitar sound very thin and horrid when it comes to single note runs.

Anyway, genre is assigned based on the music, not when/where/who.

Take your guitar, play some medium paced chugging riffs with gain maxed out, we're talking heavy metal tones here... it can be scooped mids or what not on your eq. Drop the gain and play some melodic riffs, you get a "lighter" tone/sound and we call that melodic hard rock or melodic rock.
Then take your melodic rock tone/playing and get a singer to do death vocals and you get... Death rock, or melodic death rock. Or stoner rock, if you decide to play droning riffs.

Hope you can see the relation better here...

Oh ya... hahaha.. forgot to note...

there are some genres that strive to sound like past music... like psychedelic pop... a return to the Beatles era of pop music and the style it was played then; emphasis on melody, esp vocal harmonies.

Then there's NeoClassical. A "new" classical. Malmsteem is a neoclassical metal guitarist. Metal music played to the form of classical music.

MadWereWolfBoy,

just dun care wat genre IM or any other bands r as long as u like their music lor........ :wink:

:twisted:

JoshuaG said:
Jr-V said:

Posts like this make me feel old :(

Yes Metallica were a thrash band, if not THE thrash band from Kill Em All in 83, which is considered by some to be the first official thrash metal release ever, to the Black album in 91...5 albums that put them at the top of the metal world

Load and Reload were not thrash metal releases(some would argue so was the Black album) but rather more of a hybrid of very basic metal, in terms of tone, and really heavy rock, some stoner rock as well perhaps..I found them to be good releases personally if you try not to think or remember that these were the same guys who were thrash metal innovators....

St Anger was a supposed promise return to a more thrashy affair which I think they did but was just let down by bad song arangement...there are actually some killer tracks on the album(Sweet Amber, StAnger, Shoot me Again, All Within My Hands), if you look past their past and what is deemed by some as one of the worst commercial productions ever...

but you gotta admit, after 3 albums of superb sound quality, it took a lot of guts to release something with that snare sound

I sense a deep seated exasperation in you, haha!

I've always felt that the Load and Reload albums could have been released in a single album with a few songs discarded. Trim away the fat, so to speak. It could have been a more solid release that way, in my opinion. A little quality control would have helped a lot.

I have to agree with you that St. Anger suffers a lot from the lack of song arrangements, barring the perculiar production. Some songs are lengthy for the sake of it, with unnecessary repeated parts with different drum patterns employed to guise the fact that they are basically repetitive. Listening to it now, it feels that parts of the songs were patched together (which they were, incidentally) and there are severe lack of flow and feel to the songs. And coming from a guy who hates the overtly masturbatory guitar solos, I sincerely think they could have helped a lot with the songs here. Finally, the 'unfriendly' production work doesn't make things easier either, which makes it difficult for people to warm up to the album. These are what I feel to be a major flaw in the St. Anger album to most people.

But coming back to the topic here, dude, Iron Maiden is the epitome of heavy metal. I guess it all depends on what your perception of what heavy metal is.

go watch a maiden concert. and then come back and tell me if maiden's heavy metal. \m/

iron maiden IS heavy metal. \m/

I have a christian friend who shuns iron maiden coz he thinks it's satanic. So I guess iron maiden's genre is Satanic. Just joking.. ok lame.
Then again he tells me AC/DC stands for Anti Christ / Devil Child and he quoted Highway to Hell as an example. Then I told him about AC/DC getting their name from the back of a vacuum cleaner, he said it's better to be safe than sorry, and he hasn't listened to "secular" music for a long time.

Pier.

lppier said:
I have a christian friend who shuns iron maiden coz he thinks it's satanic. So I guess iron maiden's genre is Satanic. Just joking.. ok lame.
Then again he tells me AC/DC stands for Anti Christ / Devil Child and he quoted Highway to Hell as an example. Then I told him about AC/DC getting their name from the back of a vacuum cleaner, he said it's better to be safe than sorry, and he hasn't listened to "secular" music for a long time.

Pier.

i'm a christian too.Go tell ur christian fren tht if he truly believes tht they're satanic,its kk to listen,as long as he's not influenced by it.how can one be gd in music if one does not open himself to all genres?

Latest posts

Back