I realised....

AEnimic

I realised that there are lots of great guitar players here at SOFT...

I'm not a good soloist...though I can play rhythm...but i aspire to play some crazy ass solo which is purely improv and sometimes from songs...

so what are y'all training regimens?!

how do i improve my playing?

thank you in advance :D

Well!
If you get 5k worth of pedals, 10k of guitars, 20k of amps, you'll play exceedingly well! :p

Oops... okay, Guitar-Gear section mentality here...This is in the wrong section man! :lol:

There's really only 1 way to improve one's playing. That is, to PLAY!

2 ways.
Just play for fun, meander aimlessly, just doodling playing, which is what I do all the time. You dont' improve much but you tend to find new ideas.

The other way is strict disciplined regimented exercises. Great for improving, but makes you sound like a block of wood. Usually.

Again, none of them at norms, you could take a very creative, interesting piece to practice and its cool... or you could be bounded by your own limits of creativity and don't advance.

I think its also, really boils down to one's mindset. It will affect the way you approach the instrument. I only speka from experience, I don't emphasize on disciplined practice as much as I should because I'm paranoid I'll be another brick in the wall.

I find playing with a metronome helps my playing a lot.

Don't practice as often as I should or would like, so I end up picking up songs where I want to learn, work with them.

hang out with players who are better than you :D
best way to pick up new ideas and skills, plus if they're gearheads they will instill some glorious GAS in you

..i always force myself to practice picking accurately because it's the weakest facet of my playing.

the metronome thing...yeah i got it going with my drum processor prog...but i mean...how y'all get to those solos? i only know to play blues pentatonic..and i rarely get those cools scales people usually play in solos...

hope y'all understand what i meant there :p

metronome+good theory. You'll need a good solid theory base to improvise well. Sure you can play it by ear, but you'll waste time figuring out what key/mode to play in.

Think of scales/modes as flavours.

Find some tab on them.

Play thru them

Rem the flavour, the tonal colouring.

Then when it comes to songs, give it a shot. Easiest backings, those with long droning single note bass lines.

u gotta develop the feel dude.............I make that a point to take note before I pick up my guitar each time, so that I can improve myself...

Play along with your idols on your CD....study the notes they use, learn their tricks on how to apply the scales in different ways...

Blues pentatonic scales can sound really good if you choose the notes wisely too, less is more!

Most greats use the pentatonic scales mixed with abit of harmonic minor to enhace their solos..

But most importantly is the feel, nobody can teach you that. :(

U gotta Listen! :D

Good luck

snuffleupagus said:
u gotta develop the feel dude.............I make that a point to take note before I pick up my guitar each time, so that I can improve myself...

Play along with your idols on your CD....study the notes they use, learn their tricks on how to apply the scales in different ways...

Blues pentatonic scales can sound really good if you choose the notes wisely too, less is more!

Most greats use the pentatonic scales mixed with abit of harmonic minor to enhace their solos..

But most importantly is the feel, nobody can teach you that. :(

U gotta Listen! :D

Good luck

feel ...like my new avatar :D

Do's and dont's for you to be a good guitarist.

Do's
1) First and foremost, No girlfriend. It doesnt help to have one. You cannot stay focus.
2) You will have no social life. Guitar morning, guitar afternoon and guitar evening. You even dream of guitar when you sleep.
3) There is no such thing as guitar holidays or guitar breaks.
4) Play all kinds of guitars, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez Schecter, ESP, Ovation, ESP, Jacksons for exposure
5) Sleep with your guitar next to you everyday. It is your wife. Cater to her emotionally
6) The only time you dont have a guitar with you is when you go to the loo.

Dont's
1) Dont smoke and play your guitar at the same time. You might mistaken your cigarette for your pick. You dont want to get into a habit where you put your pick in your lips instead.
2) If you find that your guitar has a lousy tone, dont throw your guitar away please. Make it to be a big piece of firewood. Bear in mind that it is you and not the guitar. Face the music and start improving your skills.
3) Dont buy a guitar and make it a collector's item. Guitars are meant to be played and not meant to be admired. You will never become good by just looking at your guitar.
4) Dont bang and smashed your guitar while performing live on stage. You may never find your favorite guitar ever. You will be lost.

Ok this just to kill time. I've got nothing to do and got so much time in my hands. If you find it useless, ignore this post. :lol:

Back