How do u get ur unique sound/tone?

For me, i've been trying out working on my own sound by playing much closer to the bridge... gives my solos a more percussive sound. Though I give up palm muting (I'm no longer resting my hand on the bridge).

also, i use a fair amount of delay and chorus to give my solos an airy feel.

My friend uses a stubby pick, plays closer to the bridge (yea i copied the idea from him!), and DOESN'T hammer on or pull off where most guitarists would. Which gives him a unique sound compared to most other guitarists.

IMO EQ and effects play the most part.

I use overdrive as my staple sound, with a hint of delay dialled in and chorus during the solos when necessary.

My EQ is something like Bass 10 o'clock, Mids 1 o'clock, Treble 3 o'clock, gain on 1 o'clock, if I'm playing low-gain rock. For heavier music like Metallica I use Bass 1 o'clock, Mids 9 o'clock, Treble max, gain at 4 o'clock.

I still use the traditional right hand approach though, hand on bridge, pick held between thumb and first joint of index, though at one point i was picking with my index finger pointing perpendicular to the strings.

I refuse to adhere to the norm of playing. ;)

Well, I'm trying to include odd note groupings, bigger note intervals, figuring out different sounding sweeps and tapping ideas, use of chromatics, modes.... overall, just thinking out of the box.

That's it for the sound..

Tonewise... I like it to be tight and well defined. A Tri AC boosted with a modded TS9DX for extra oomph... then a floyd rose guitar is a must! :)

i used to use a modded big muff, so it was always high gain. i've just switched to a zinky truegrit distortion pedal though, and for most amps i play through, my eq is usually roughly something like this: boosted bass and mids, medium treble, and on my distortion pedals the gain is normally slightly less than you'd expect when you hear it. the lower distortion levels help the notes come out more distinctly. i use palm muting and sometimes a percussive attack on my picking to make it sound heavier. when i'm strumming i have a tendency to strum closer towards the neck, and i usually pick around the middle rather than at the bridge.

ShredCow said:

ah... i knew that long ago, when you sent me your link to your mp3s having a solo of whole tone intervals. never heard anyone try playing with that scale on a serious basis before. :)

i'm still messing with picks to get a more unique tone. seems like i'm going back to the metal techpicks now. i would like stubby picks but i play far too much rhythm and stubby picks are simply too thick for the rhythm i play.

anyone tried the awe-in-one? thinking of getting it to try out.

Playing aside, modding everything possible (guitars/pedals) helps me get closer to the tone i hear in my head :D

I'm sure Shredcows will agree :lol:

thor666 said:
anyone tried the awe-in-one? thinking of getting it to try out.

I've tried it. The School Of Rock people gave us one packet of them. They're quite nice, I especially like the rock ones cos they're really really hard and I just LOVE hard picks.

SHREDCOW!

Can I have your whole-tone solo thingy? Interested to hear it. send to thatfrog AT yahoo DOT com

Uh, for me personally I use A LOT of downstrokes (my upstrokes are weak anyway), and I hit very hard, I think a bit too hard sometimes, because the tension build up in the arms can be quite bad. But that's my sound la :?

ok what... $3.60 for 3 rock/folk picks at citymusic.

unless u're referring to the dunlop-jazz looking awe in ones, which i didn't check the price

ShredCow said:
Tonewise... I like it to be tight and well defined. A Tri AC boosted with a modded TS9DX for extra oomph... then a floyd rose guitar is a must! :)

Hi,
why is floyd rose a must?

Good day!

Through "trial and error". Keep buying pedals and try, find the best sound and tone to blend with your band's genre or songs they produce.

You can have the nicest tone when you're playing alone, but if it does not go well with say, your rythm guitarist's sound or keyboardist's, people will still think yours suck i guess?

ak_7 said:
ShredCow said:

Hi,
why is floyd rose a must?

Good day!

Well, its a must for me... :) Adds a whole new dimension of playing and sounds.

Latest posts

Back