Gibson Les Paul Standard

having to try a few before buying is an indicator of QC inconsistencies, but guitars not having that killer feel/ tone are not necessarily plagued with issues. the issue with Gibson per se (not with Les Paul), is that of late, the brand name lets some of their poorest examples loose onto the shelves.

Last edited:
Craftsmanship? Excess glue is considered good craftsmanship? Quality of wood? Fender USA's wood is that good too and they don't charge as much. Patents? Come on, other companies have patents on their designs and they don't charge that ridiculously huge amount of money on that guitar! If I had that kind of money, I'd go for Ibanez Japan or Fender Japan/USA.

Can you prove that a Fender , of the same price range to be fair has the same wood quality as one from a Gibson . Patents , do you know the cost price of an ipod , compare it to the retain value(which is usually the same everywhere) you'd consider Gibson's reasonable haha . Ibanez Japan , yeah they make awesome guitars , but can you prove that it is better than a Gibson .

What you choose to do if you had the buying power is entirely up to you , no one should deter you in getting what you feel is worth your buck. Btw , if you know where to get your guitars the price you pay would be worlds apart from what a regular joe would pay .

Gibbys

I agree with ZAX. everyone is free to choose whatever guitar they want if they can afford it. Certainly at some point nearly every guitar maker changes some production step either because of cost of labour or something. Along with those changes often comes a few years of less than perfect QC. One thing that Gibson has NOT done is that it has never allowed Gibson guitars to be made outside USA, they have instead rebranded to epihone or whatever to distinguish the brand unlike fender where you need to check the manufacturing location even though it says Fender on the neck and it could be USA.Japan. or Mexico. or lately Indonesia.!!! HYDROFLY Please do not hold Fender up as a shining example of quality--if you know the brand well you will also know the history such as the 70's fenders etc. Again my point is that whilst Gibby may have released some QC mess ups, they are not alone and on the whole the brand is sound and a good investement. I would not begin to put anyone down for their choice of axe as it is all personal taste. i would say that most of us softies have a few different brands at home. If you really are unimpressed by the big name producers however, the great thing today is the availability of quality parts producers= so you can make your own guitar and insure you get a product that you can only blame yourself for.

well i was in japan , like in Yokahama to be exact and then i saw this really cool pink Gibson les paul jr and i went to have a look and behind it said MIJ , yeah . I don't really have any proof so it's just my word hahah

well i was in japan , like in Yokahama to be exact and then i saw this really cool pink Gibson les paul jr and i went to have a look and behind it said MIJ , yeah . I don't really have any proof so it's just my word hahah

Well I travel to japan VERY regularly and have never seen a "japanese" gibby, seen plenty of copies in Shanghai tho!!

But their guitars are still very expensive. The price is almost the same with sweelee... the sunburst LP standard is 3K +.... Are their guitars new or 2nd hand?

But their guitars are still very expensive. The price is almost the same with sweelee... the sunburst LP standard is 3K +.... Are their guitars new or 2nd hand?

i think its reasonable 3k tag for a standard in singapore.. at least lower than some neighboring countries like malaysia and australia. Can get lower if you buy from states.. only if your there for holiday or something. Not to long ago, i was quoted roughly around 4500 for a standard 2008 model.

Clarification

*Clarification*

We've sold Gibson Les Paul Standards for as low as $2000 before. The average price for a used LP Standard in good condition would be around $2500.

The most we've ever sold a LP Standard for was $2800 and that was in near-mint condition. Never sold one at more than $3000.

Prices are definitely negotiable at Blackwood Guitars. Some of you happy customers out there may attest to that.

Thanks.

David

*Clarification*

We've sold Gibson Les Paul Standards for as low as $2000 before. The average price for a used LP Standard in good condition would be around $2500.

The most we've ever sold a LP Standard for was $2800 and that was in near-mint condition. Never sold one at more than $3000.

Prices are definitely negotiable at Blackwood Guitars. Some of you happy customers out there may attest to that.

Thanks.

David

Bought a 2001 LP Std from Blackwood a few weeks ago. Paid S$2,400. I have researched on the 2nd hand prices of LP Std - pre 2008 models but not VOS. Its typically in the range of US$1,600 to US$1,700 depending on the condition. So depending on the exchange rate, the Blackwood prices can be considered reasonable - not the lowest you can get but its market.

I find also that the 2nd hand prices in Spore for LP is closer to the US market unlike brand new ones where its much higher here in Singapore.

Hope this is helpful.

there is a need to understand that the Standard isn't a budget offering from Gibson.

Totally agree. I dont understand Doggieshaman when he says that many of the LP Standards are "lemons" but then went on to say that if he has a choice he'd buy a LP Studio. I can understand if he says he's going for a custom but a studio?

Back