Gibson Les Paul Standard

i for one agree that the lp studios are great players. not refering to epiphone though..

Ah! You just missed out the prime example of an Epiphone Studio Mahogany at Swee Lee Bras Besah. That was a really good one. Still with the typical QC problems but tone was to die for. If I recall correctly, the last few digits of its serial 508875. Love that one.

yo almond, unfortunately i'm not really an epiphone fan much. but there was this epiphone explorer that i really liked. Its not an lp for one, its the prophecy firebird with EMGs. Insane tone and playability. i bet u the sale price for it was crazy.

a $6000 guitar.. sure bound to be solid..
the sound's great,paint job's great!!

too bad i don't have one...

no one would payy 6k for a crap guitar . and the Gibson les paul has been very popular . so its not a crap guitar

6k is their list price. swee lee usually has a discount. you should be able to get it from them at about 4k.

yes, i do know from good sources that there are lemons. but personally i have not come across one after the many that have crossed my path.

if any of you don't mind used pieces, you can contact me from my website.

cheers!

im planning to get a gibson les paul this year.but after reading this,im getting a bit disappointed as i had a rather good exp when i tried them out in japan last year.is it just the singapore dealer or is it the bias softies?is gibson really a good brand,do give honest views.personally,i have one explorer studio from gibson

bias softies? IMO people here are giving their opinion more than brand bashing although this gets carried away at times.

from the review per se, i'm not trying to propel a rotten Gibson in disguise. it's only fair that certain warts are higlighted which are case-by-case basis. i ended up buying one after coming across a deserving piece.

if you have plans for a Gibson LP, i'd say go for it. if you aren't brand particular, checking out the Edwards/ Tokai copies is worth the time.

in terms of snug feel, there's very little to offer as the copies are virtually duplicating the original's outline. i don't mind embracing them because they have bits of refinements which make me happy :cool:

i own a Burny LP copy and if I had $3k or more i'd buy a gibson. I suppose 'real' gibsons are like the pedestal that you reach when you really turn into a 'true' musician - and I don't mean LP standard because yes I think there are too many lemons here which can't be re-selled.

But well yes they make many guitars cause the original gibsons were so good, and presume that their best resources go into making custom shops and high end models so for the cheapo ones like standard models more duds will happen?

as to 'fake' or real is concerned, there is really no such thing as a 'fake' guitar is there? what, you mean the pickups are made of candy? an imitation guitar is as functional as a real gibson, sometimes even better but it remains an imitation

i think if i got a gibson it'd be a gibson studip LP, wine red, thinner profile is kind of welcome, don't ya guys think?

But well yes they make many guitars cause the original gibsons were so good, and presume that their best resources go into making custom shops and high end models so for the cheapo ones like standard models more duds will happen?

there is a need to understand that the Standard isn't a budget offering from Gibson.

I think the bad QC ones come to Asia :) I've yet to play guitars in Asia that have blown me away. Other than, Japanese Gretschs. Mmmm Duo-Jet...........

Despite all the bad vibes, when you see a musician with a Gibson Les Paul, there is instantly some expectation of standard. You expect him to be good enough to fit the guitar that he has. Well, I do.

Just throwing in two cents.

I'm proud to say that I own a gibson les paul std. The price is a-bit expensive but it's really a great guitar to own. I also own a 80's burny les paul custom it's a great guitar too and sound pretty close to a gibson les paul but it can never sound and feel 100% like the gibson les paul because of the way it was constructed. My view is, if you want to own a Gibson les paul, I would say GO AHEAD. It's worth it. =)

Gibby LP

I own an 87 and a 93 Les paul Standard, and IMO as with ALL guitars, you have to try a few before you buy. I have played USA Fenders and PRS that just don't ring like they should , just as some Gibby's should be better. Same as buying a car, you drive a few before buying one, you just dont buy the first one you see. Yes QC can be better, but then you have the ultimate choice.Fact is with a Gibby LP strung around your neck-- its a nice zone.
I agree with an earlier poster however that in Singapore the prices are really high. If you buy from overseas they are much cheaper--

Back