For those who are taking their o lvls this year

hahahaha what are u guys doing? study la study, dont regret for your o levels cos olevels can determine what kind of grades u gonna get at a levels. seriously a level is so f***ed up. so many many many concepts to learn and i only got 4 weeks left. anyhow, o levels can chiong one la take 1 week and whack all topics, its damn simple to score for olevels. a levels really damn chiat lat la.. if u not in good junior college, all your lecture notes and tutorials are nonsense. if u go to a good jc, you will know whats the rate for u to mug not like some f***ed up schools. do your best and go to rj,hc,vj,ac,sa but dont go the rest cos they all f***ing no life. best go rj la.

Haha, don't screw up your Os. End of year exams can just pass, but don't play around with the O levels, mug as hard as you can for the remaining 1 week. Just think of it as sacrificing 1 month of jamming/playing/fun for a chance to go to your dream school, it's worth it!

I'm in JC now, took Os last year, mugged like crazy from late september to catch up with all the stuff that I wasn't paying attention to. After my school had the mock prelims, I got shocked back into studying, realized that it wasn't as easy as I thought to get a good result and go to the JC I wanted. Ended up with 27 for L1R5 for that mock prelims, then started to mug everyday in the school library, back then I really had no life lol, went straight to mug after school and ate cup noodles in school for dinner and only went home at 9PM.

Some tips for exams :

For english there are 2 easy steps. The first thing you need is content for whatever you're writing, but that's more for argumentative essays etc. If you wanna do stuff like that, make sure you can convince the marker that what you're saying is valid.

If you're doing story-based composition, don't write some cock-and-bull story that no one will believe. And stay away from cliches like some action movie, examiners don't exactly appreciate humor in your stories either. I never really liked to write about Singaporean contexts because the markers are British so I tend to stick to general storylines without a specific race background (like using John, Tom instead of Ah Seng or Ali).

Next thing you need is language, if your language isn't very good, just make sure that your writing makes grammatical sense and you don't get spelling errors. The worst thing to do is to try and use big words when you're not sure about them, just write simply and to the point. If you are already capable of that, then start writing in a more complex sense. If you can, increase your vocabulary so you don't have to keep repeating the same word. If your english is seriously damn good, the best way to impress is to write a descriptive essay. But this one is risky, you could either get a really high score or mess up and just pass or even fail.

For humanities, I took history, SS and lit, so I can't really say for geography, but according to my classmates who did it, there's no way out for geog except to memorise. For history, make sure you understand the casual factors and themes. If you don't understand it, there's no use memorising. Almost every single question in history will ask you on factors, so make some notes organising the stuff in the textbook into factors. For lit, you'll most probably have to spot topics, but it's necessary to at least understand the whole text. And memorise your quotes, don't end up like me and miss a higher grade because you didn't put in any quotes

Normally, if you're doing source-based or lit, the standard format is to 1) quote, 2) infer, 3) link. What I mean by this is that you first lift out short phrases, then come out its implication, then most importantly, answer the question using the link.

E maths, A maths : no choice, practice your ass off. Do every single past-year paper, TYS, tutorial you can get your hands off and make sure you understand all the concepts

Sciences : make sure you can get as high as possible for practical, it's going to be the one that pulls your grade up. Same goes for MCQ. When you're mugging, first understand the concept, then memorise the formulas, examples etc, that way you'll be more likely to remember it

If you guys need any help or anything, feel me to ask me, I'm like really free after my promotional exams end this week so I have nothing to do lol. FYI, I'm taking Arts now in JC so I'm more inclined towards the humanities, and DON'T BELIEVE WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT ARTS HAVING NO FUTURE! It's the most fun course you can take in JC :lol:

Yay, got 24/30 for compo! Hahahaha, wrote some shit about Mandy Moore LOL. Only one who passed the compre section with a score of 16/25. Highest in class with a B3. What crap. My L1R4 : 31. Hahahaha.

i still remmeber the day i got back my english prelims results for my Os, i got 28/30 for my compo and overall i got an A2....bloody hell actual Os i got a B3....heartpain man

hohohehehaha said:
hahahaha what are u guys doing? study la study, dont regret for your o levels cos olevels can determine what kind of grades u gonna get at a levels. seriously a level is so f***ed up. so many many many concepts to learn and i only got 4 weeks left. anyhow, o levels can chiong one la take 1 week and whack all topics, its damn simple to score for olevels. a levels really damn chiat lat la.. if u not in good junior college, all your lecture notes and tutorials are nonsense. if u go to a good jc, you will know whats the rate for u to mug not like some f***ed up schools. do your best and go to rj,hc,vj,ac,sa but dont go the rest cos they all f***ing no life. best go rj la.

so i'm guessing your in rj?

lecture notes and tutorial are nonsense in the not so good junior college? I checked Hci lecture notes, lets just say their notes are like 3 times thicker than the one i get in my jc. and half of its contents , you dont even come across it in the ten year series. Thats nonsense. No offence to any hci students. The school is only as good as its students.
Everywhere you go there will be people without anylife, and people living life on the edge, not fair to say the other jcs got no life. When it comes down to this time of the year, everyone has no life.

Panopticon-3 said:
i still remmeber the day i got back my english prelims results for my Os, i got 28/30 for my compo and overall i got an A2....bloody hell actual Os i got a B3....heartpain man
yeah this is what happens in my sch every single yr. Top english students who get all the praises tend to NOT get evn an A2. Its like tht..the standard of the paper.

hifi_killer : I'm from HCI, but the notes aren't THAT far-out actually. I'm only speaking from my experience with the subjects that I take though, which do not include the sciences. True, in a lot of cases lecturers will spoon-feed you with lots of information, which is usually gleaned from other books and changed bit by bit over the years until they make it as good as they can. But the stuff that's inside does has relevance to the ten-year series usually, they don't make you study a whole bunch of crap if it's not gonna help for the exams. I'm lucky enough to have tutors who actually told us the specific topics that would come out for EOY exams, who would sit down and help us with the topics that we had problems with.

And yes, everywhere you go, there'll be people with no life....... More so in top schools than others. My history tutor recently commented on his blog that a lot of people isolate themselves and become very reclusive in the weeks prior to the exams, to the point where they don't even appear in class at all and spend all their time in the library mugging. Thankfully I'm not like that haha, I think I wasted my time playing around instead of studying for the exams, just hoping that I can get promoted and not drop any subjects :lol:

mero said:
I'm in JC now, took Os last year, mugged like crazy from late september to catch up with all the stuff that I wasn't paying attention to. After my school had the mock prelims, I got shocked back into studying, realized that it wasn't as easy as I thought to get a good result and go to the JC I wanted. Ended up with 27 for L1R5 for that mock prelims, then started to mug everyday in the school library, back then I really had no life lol, went straight to mug after school and ate cup noodles in school for dinner and only went home at 9PM.

so what did you get in the end? i got L1R5:31 for prelims.. need to mug my ass off now.. i was expecting better for prelims cause i actually studied and pratice maths.. which was a big mistake cause didnt study the rest and got mediocre marks for them :(

ok wow 8O and how long did you take to improve that much? 2 months? i have month.. dunno if i can do it.. i kinda lost my motivation after seeing my prelims result..

Haha, I guess it's just planning to study effectively. I planned out my studying schedule for the weeks leading up the exam and made sure I stuck to it.... Wrote a lot of notes especially for social studies and history. You have to write your own notes for those if you wanna remember the stuff that you need, it'll be like imprinted into your brain. I think I stll have some of my notes for SS and some other subjects somewhere though, anyone need them? :D

SS and Hist :D i was slping for both subjects last year.. i mean really slping.. half the class was either slping,out somewhere or talking.. my teacher didnt teach any skills at all..

haha have your teachers spotted any topics for the Os? Last year my teacher spotted Switzerland and Diplomacy and Deterrence and a few other topics for us, I remember her saying something about the syllabus changing though......

Back