Football Manager 08

I don't really cheat with FM. The only cheat I ever used was to restart my game so I could win the stupid game I'd lost a few minutes ago. LOL.

FM Modifier looks cool to me though.

FM08 has a lot of bugs, no? apparently mine have and because its a longjohnsilver's version, i cant install the patch to rectify the problem of the bugs.

the problem with mine? 4 world class defenders circle and circle opposing team's dribbling attacker and no one will tackle or do anything. in fact, i've never seen the word "tackle" in the commentary before! and the fact that my player pass to opponent everytime. that spoiled my mood, and me got no $ to buy original game.

well yeah i played CM and FM from the 99 or 95 version very old one, got tony adams all that. yeah easy game huh. rated top manager in the world all that. win world cup.

yeah for FM 07 or 06 i played 10 seasons coz i was too hooked, won virtually every cup available. haha ok not so but i was managing juventus. too bad cant set difficulty in the game. for CM4 i think, got the editor, i made my own self, all attributes 20! hahah.

last time, i very kiasu, for striker, i dont care who but i just buy people with dribbling 20 finishing 20 all that. they are usually unknown bulgarians who are worth less that 1m pounds, but whoTF cares! they did the job. haha. i do similar things for other positions.

Last edited:
haahahahaha maybe your defenders don't know how to tackle =p

by bulgarians do you mean someone like georgi kakalov? or todolov? i remember these bulgarians quite good last time i use also in the older game

I recently bought Luka Modric and this unknown guy called Gignac.
i wanted to buy De Rossi. but they wont wanna let him go even for 40mil. WTF.
and and , my a$$face chairman automatically accepted a 30.5mil bid for my obafemi martins. and he had to go. damn sad. he was scoring alot. but noone can beat michael owen, in my team only of course , so far 28 goals in 27 games. woohooo. Luka Modric is doing good.
Zogbia's injured. sad.

i'm targeting Cristian Zapata as my defender.

try using 4-2-4. pwns. hahaha.

Last edited:
I'm bored of FM 2008. Never did go further than 3 seasons.

same for me. i started with ManUtd.. then new game i took Schalke.. another new game i took Celtic. all not more than 4 seasons. no patience.

but now im patiently waiting for FM2009.

ohhh.. but my fave is CM4, where the one of the cheat was to set a nickname then you'd win for sure..

empihsrow: i also do the same thing, sometimes.

Woot FM! I spend about like half my life playing this together with FIFA and Winning Eleven. :D I was using Newcastle for the past few seasons until my laptop crashed and took my game along with it:(.

One of my star players is Henri Saivet. You can get him on the cheap at the beginning. He's really class, agile and bucketloads of pace to burn. Give him a regular run for about two seasons and he'll develop deadly goal instincts. Can be your regular Henry anyday.

Oh I was wondering, does anyone here use the opposition player function?

gsp: i do. i always set them.

for example, i'd put the MR/ML as target weaker foot and tackle hard. it usually works, as in the opposing team seldom put any crosses in. but prepare for yellow cards. maybe even red. haha.

hahaha. i dont , i dont wanna risk my wingers/defenders being sent off. gonna have a hard time finding replacements. yeah. ive signed Henri Saivet . he's very popular in the CM and FM games for very very good future talent and ability. as well as Goran PanDev and Bojan . but damn i missed pandev in my game , chelsea stole him. and Bojan doesnt wanna leave barca.

i cheat tooo. for example like. NOW . i jus lost to spurs but i have to beat them to retain my 1st place. so im restarting now. jus came by to check for updates. hahah.

are there any killer tactics for newcastle ?
u know , those formations like got arrows everywhere. but it gives u wins.

hahaha yea chelsea always sign pandev first. zapata is good. try diego capel also.. and sergio aguero is the bomb! as well as huntelaar. haha the arrows ah.. before your match you add new manager and control the team of your next match oppo. then you set the goalkeeper drag the arrow all the way out to the other end. during the match the keeper wont even be at the goal =p hahha

eh cm4. whats the cheat using the nickname thingy? i only know the cheat where you can buy any player for free

My record with the old CM series was 20 seasons man....yea no life...i know :D From winning everything with Liverpool...then went to win World Cup and Euro Cup with England and France then went to Lazio...won everything also LOL

i always use the formation 4-4-2 Diamond Attacking.
playing Liverpool btw.

and i have to agree that Henri Saivet and Huntelaar are great players.
i once bought Huntelaar and he scored 43 goals in one season.
36 goals in EPL season which means almost 1 goal per game.
and he is still at his best in the next few seasons.

btw, do you guys buy players by big names or by ratings or by personality or you choose according to your scouts?

i choose by impulse =D

eh that time i was offered job at england then win win win until i even won copa america o_O i thought that one for american countries only lol.

anyone played until finish before? my friend say after don't know how many seasons the game finish.

boyshafiq: by names, then by scouts. also, every game i start, i can never get henri saivet. he'll never want to transfer to my club(s).. ohh, one youngster i bought for my most recent game is Mika Aaritalo.. finnish winger, kinda good. in my game at least.

adly: ouh the nickname cheats were for the older ones. CM3.. CM 01/02.. my mistake.
and the game doesnt end(i think). well that's what i heard.

the game is so addictive, you can go on for hours,
usually during transfer period..
i'll keep playing till the transfer period is over xD

do you guys usually get stuck in front of the com playing when transfer window is open?

well during the transfer period its much more fun when you can really feel what professional managers feel and do.

yeahhhh. i got stuck for almost 8 hours trying to find a good replacement for my Obafemi Martins. and noone wanted to transfer till i found Andre-Pierre Gignac. hahah. Udinese has alot of good players. YEAH. chelsea keep signing Pandev on every game. ha. and the next transfer window, im targetting Cristian Zapata , Hunterlaar and maybe Van Der Vaart. hmm. i somehow want Deco also. hah.

Eh, how do I do that?

Basically it depends on your tactical style. If you're the sort who modifies his tactics to adapt to opposition, then opposition instructions are useful. It boils down to telling your players who to mark tightly, who to close down and give little space to, who to whack hard etc. The show onto foot function explains itself I think.

For example, if you're dealing with a player with a high off-the-ball stat, you'll want to mark him tightly to take him out of the game. If you're dealing with a playmaker ala Xabi Alonso, you should use closing down often to give him as little time and space as possible to play those through balls. be careful, however, that the player you're assigning to close down has higher agility and acceleration stats then the opposition. Players with high agility and acceleration stats can escape tackles easier, and they will take advantage of extra space if your defender left his position to close down. Tackling is useful against hotheaded fellas like Rooney or players low in bravery, as it can either wind them up or scare them shitless. Show onto foot generally only works when the guy is seriously useless with his other foot, like Riise or Beckham.

Oh, I see... I rarely adapt to my opposition's tactics, unless they're class teams like Man U[who uses a very weird formation in my game].

Generally, I'll leave man marking on for all of my defenders and my anchorman. That's all. I don't demand them to close down quickly or whack hard on any particular player although I'm contemplating to do so right now.

Most of the time, I'll switch the formation and adjust position-swapping. Haha but my formation is either 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-1-2-1. Haha, quite a tight and versatile formation in my opinion.

i'd usually emply the 4-4-2 diamond. seems to work very well for quick and short passing plays. not so versatile, but usually my DM and AM can play as CMs if i need to change formation, which i seldom do.

there was once i used a 4-2-2-1-1 formation, it works well in absorbing attacks from the opposition. plus if you have quick players, great for counter-attacks.

Back