Favourite guitarists

my blues/rock gurus from the 60-70s era -

Ritchie Blackmore - Uli Jon Roth - Jimmy Page - Michael Schenker - David Gilmour - George Harrison - Mark Farner - Tony Iommi.

Hmm... I think I havent put my take on this topic yet.. Here's my top 10 fav guitarist! In no particular order unless statted:

1. John Petrucci - He's THE man for me.. Great tone, great chops, great composer, great lyricist. If Malmsteen made me pick up the guitar than its this fella who made me appreciate the guitar to another new level...
2. Yngwie Malmsteen - First time I saw this fella was when I was 6 when my eldest bro put on his Live In Tokyo tape.. That time he was damn skinny too.. Hehe... Made me have interest in guitars straight away...
3. Slash - The COOLEST guitarist ever.. Period..
4. Marty Friedman
5. Steve Vai
6. Jesper Stromblad
7. Christopher Ammott
8. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren - In the same band with similar abilities.. Just love the way they use disharmonic chords to harmonise with each other...
9. Billy Corgan
10. Man Kidal

hmm...don't have a top 10 but for what its worth, my fav guitarists are;

1) Eric Clapton! anybody mentioned him? heh.
2) Eric Johnson
3) Steve Morse
4) Django Reindhart (that how u spell it?)
5) Tommy Emmanuel
6) Zakk Wylde.
7) Malmsteen

cheers,

Not in any particular order

1. Stephen Stills (CSN, CSNY)
2. Berton Avere (The Knack)
3. Eric Clapton
4. Steve Lukather (Toto)
5. Richie Sambora (bon Jovi)
6. Carlos Santana
7. Edge (U2)
8. Gary Moore
9. Keith Scott (Bryan Adams band)
10. Joe Satriani

under-rated accomplished all-round musician, dutch guitarist/producer Arjen Lucassen for Ayreon / Star One.

you guys use yahhoo messenger? we can do a mass voice chat with you guys.. and paul and other guitar players lol ..

its hard to name just 1 - my list of influences from the 1960-90s is a list close to 50 names. players that i grew up covering n learning from their songs, not just listening to them.

there are many versatile players who can change their approach like rubber band.

1 guy who played blues, jazz standards, rock n shred guitar in my face, was Andy Timmons during his clinic. Steve Lukhather is another name that comes to mind. Arjen Lucassen is another wizard, check out the new Ayreon LP. there r more..........

these guys r all studio sessionist - multi-styled playing gets u more calls to session work.

dhalif said:
you guys use yahhoo messenger? we can do a mass voice chat with you guys.. and paul and other guitar players lol ..

lif, can collect ticket $$$ for yahoo audio :lol: online shred sessions - just kidding :twisted:

my choices:
zakk wylde
tom morello
steve vai
malmsteen
al dimeola
bb king
marty friedman
joe satriani
john petrucci
paul gilbert

just an idea.. but how about all chip in ... to do a nice recording for the SOFT CD.?.... like get 15-20 guitarists each to do a short solo .... like the hear'n'aid ..." we're stars " , malmsteen , vai...etc alot of greats got together to record solos on ONE rock track..DAMN power...

not saying we are pros... but its a cool thought.

That sounds like fun! :)

Don't recall Steve Vai on STARS though. It was over 10 years ago, but here's who I remember (a mate of mine had the video).

Yngwie
Nigel Tufnell - Spinal Tap (he was funny "I like the way he says Yngwie 'J' Malmsteen to distinguish himself from all the other Yngwie Malmsteens")
Iron Maiden dudes
George Lynch (then of Dokken; wow - his vibrato - up and down the string was fantastic!)
Donald Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult)
Neal Schon (journey)
Brad Gillis (Nightranger)
Was Vai there? It was so long ago, I can't be sure now....

P.S. The song "We're Stars" was a pile of crap. :)

Stars - Hear n Aid project headed by Dio, was after the ''Usa for Africa 'we r the world' thingy'' around 86 or so - closer to 20 yrs eh - Vai wasnt on it.

kk paiseh , yea vai wasnt on it... but alot of old school hair metal guys were on it!! it reached a point i didnt even know who was playing... only can recognise malmsteen... hurhurhur...
but its damn cool lar...
good chance to check out each others guitar tone as well!!

Back