Emulating a Marshall

darkballa

Hi since i dont have enough money for a marshall i was thinking somebody might help me.

Im planning to emulate a vintage marshall tube overdrive. I was thinking maybe a peavey envoy 110 (ive heard theyre the best tube emulation around) and a marshall guv'nor, what do you guys think?

This is because an AVT20 is too small and an AVT 50 is too expensive.

try a 2nd hand AVT50? i seem to see 2nd hand AVT20 selling quite expensive. u can secure a 2nd hand AVT50 for less than 450.

the newer AVTs supposedly has a different speaker. Not sure if that makes them sound different/better though.

the avt20 is good enough for small venues like a small medium size hall. I gigged with it before. If your just using it for bedroom practice its more than enough, you'll nvr turn it past 5. For outdoor you need something bigger or unless ur miking it.

I've seen 2nd Hand AVT20s go for abt 300 to 350. I sold mine for abt 300.

just a thought. if you get a AVT50 u can never crank it during nighttime in HDB flats. daytime, it's cool man, depending on your neighbours. Can play with the volume up all you want.

envoy 110 sux... the new ones after year 2002 i think.. all made in china...

china envoys 110 bass lack oomph... i own 1 and it fits the perfect bass-lacking description luther gave me...

theblueark said:
Where you want to use it?

We used it at Alliance Francase (sp?) once, 200 seater. More than loud enough for that.

Im sorry ive never been to the Aliance, do u happen to know if the alliance is as big as the Spore Polytechnic auditorium? wait i think the Poly's audit is a 400 or 500 seater so ok i think im set for a second hand avt20.

Hoho you from SP ah. I played there a couple of times. Ok the SP auditorium, the old one right? not the new one? It's at least 3 times bigger, maybe 4 times. But the acoustics there are very bad for this type of amplification. The AVT20 should be enough, we use 15W amps there before. But it will sound bad. No matter how big your amp it will sound bad. Your best bet is to get them to mike up the amplifier to the PA.

The GT2 or Tri-AC have XLR output? Cos the stage there only have XLR to the sound room which is damn far away. Unless they renovated.

Modelling systems or DI would be a good idea, but the problem is that you may not be able to hear yourself, cos no monitors there. Or you split your signal and use a small amp as a monitor, with the audience listening to the modelled output through the PA. the Tonelab SE will suit this. Probably the POD Live XT and a few others also can.

No man, the GT2 and TRI AC only have 1/4" outputs... if you want XLR, its got to go thru a DI box... hmmmm.... at SP, wouldn't they have DI Boxes? I mean, as in, its easily obtainable.... or you can buy the Behringer GDI for $60.

The no monitor thing is an issue... but on the other hand, everyone can hear you since you are runnig thru the PA.

Anyway, darkballa, why don't I demo the TRI AC's marshal emulation to you online? You might be plesantly surprised. ;)

ShredCow said:
No man, the GT2 and TRI AC only have 1/4" outputs... if you want XLR, its got to go thru a DI box... hmmmm.... at SP, wouldn't they have DI Boxes? I mean, as in, its easily obtainable.... or you can buy the Behringer GDI for $60.

The no monitor thing is an issue... but on the other hand, everyone can hear you since you are runnig thru the PA.

Anyway, darkballa, why don't I demo the TRI AC's marshal emulation to you online? You might be plesantly surprised. ;)

sure thatll be great, although like i said, a VINTAGE TUBE Marshall overdrive. So do u think the tri-ac will do a good job on a solid state or should i get the envoy? HOw much is a tri-ac? and i ehard that for the gt2 and tri-ac u should have an fx loop on your amp, should i get an amp with a loop or should i use it as a pedal?

Basically, the TRI AC emulates a Marshall (can't rem what marshal, got to check it up) and it is very tube-like. The folks at tech21 are so confident abt their analog tube emulation that when I emailed them regarding using a clean tube amp for more responsiveness, they told me it might add too much compression since the TRI AC is so tubelike already. Uber cool aye? AYE. :)

Anywya, the marshal it emulates is an old marshal... some 1960 model or something...

Why don't I see you on msn? I don't mind playing it for you. :)

The Brit (marshal) channel on my TRI AC is my fave channel... I only use the fender for and the Brit for crunch and heavy. I recorded Freak Out! and the Breed neck demo with the heavy setting.

I don't think you will find a lot of vintage-ness in the GT2... its more modern sounding. That said, the Brit channel there is CRUSHING... no need for a booster IMO. :twisted:

The TRI AC goes for around $300.

It can be plugged straight to computer (which is what i do) or run into an amp's guitar or efx loop inputs. Reason we want to run to the efx loop is to bypass the amp's tone colouring...so the real tone of the tri ac is heard thru the speakers. Yes, I plug straight to PA and the tone is amazing.

my dream marshall emulator is still the tonebone hot british! that one is absolutely droolworthy man..the stuff wet dreams are made of. Ok, I've never actually heard it, but it must be awesome right???!! Looking forward to the day when I can buy one..

Latest posts

Back