Emulating a Marshall

thanks for the help i think ill find a second hand triac, 300$ is what im gonna spend for an amp so either i get a cheap amp with the tri-ac or ill get the avt20. i need an amp with an efx loop then right? ill prolly sell my amp and my ds-2 so that should get me around 180$ +save up for a bit and i think i can save up and get a 250$ amp and the tri-ac. so thats about half a year which should be around 450-500$ in savings and the money from the amp and ds-2. and dont worry about the msn thing its ok, ive got strong confidence in this. thanks

FYI

The emulated model is that of a Marshall Plexi. Most refer to this as "the" marshall tone.

The Tech 21 products are great especially GT2 and TriOD.

darkballa said:
anyone know how to emulate a jubillee head or a jcm 800?

get a real Jubillee head or a real JCM 800.

Heh emulators are just that emulators, they can make u sound like it but nothing beats the real deal. I tried the Tonebone Classic before, I didn't really like it. Very tweakable but the higher gain settings were not fantastic the low gain tones were not bad though.

like I mentioned in my previous post, nope, I haven't heard it. But by extrapolation, it definitely will sound better with high gain than the Classic pedal. The difference in the naming is a dead giveaway, isn't it?

I've heard clips of the hot british, definitely not high gain stuff to my ears, but tts just me, still got the british tone though

By your theory, My Toadworks Death Rattle should be a metalhead's dream come true but its not. Its a more vintagy tone, trying to create a plexi and a tweed style kinda tone. So i guess there goes your theory. :p

My point is, a lot of ppl on the forum say this is good oo that should be better but how many of them have actually heard or played the thing for themselves.

Best to keep opinions to stuff that we have actually played or heard or else ppl might be misleaded by the info posted on the forum. No offence Vaiyen.

Cheers

a lil out of topic: ciel21, how does your death rattle sound? close to the plexi? how about the tweed?

does it work well with any amp? or is it fickle to the amp you plug in to? i ask because almost nobody gets to use the same amp for different gigs in singapore.

Sorry for the plethora of questions, just curious. :wink:

hi,
darkballa, i believe the marshall jackhammer dist can get the tone that ur looking for ...and it suits ur budget as well

Behringer has a GTI (i believe that's what it's called) which is basically like the Sansamp GT2 and if i'm not mistaken, it has a direct XLR out on it as well. so you can go straight to PA. and it's like, below $80. my bandmate just bought it and he uses a GT2, so he was raving about how similar they are and how good the Behringer sounds even compared to his GT2.

ciel21:
all I am saying, is that, the Hot British will sound better than the Classic in a high gain situation. I draw this conclusion based on the name, and the sound samples on Tonebone's site. Unless you happen to associate the word 'Hot' with pristine shimmery cleans, and the word 'Classic' with edgy gritty distortion la...
Now don't go putting words in my mouth. I am not insisting it's great or anything. It would be foolish of me to do so, when I haven't heard it. My point is, relative to the Classic, under high gain.
And I am so convinced that my conjecture is right that I dare you to make me eat my words.

Since I have a bit more time on my hands, let me draw you an analogy..
Have you been to outer space to see that the Earth is round? Nope. Neither have I.
But you have seen pictures and also accounts telling of the Earth's sphericity? Yes, you have.
So what would be your stand on this? Refuse to comment on whether the Earth is round, simply because you haven't seen it from outer space for yourself? Or do you trust in the judgements of many credible sources?

Same thing for the Tonebone Hot British. Enough info from veracious sources for me to draw an informed conclusion.

Sometimes, commonsense is all we need, my friend. Not everything in the world must follow a prescribed order- A to B to C to D
I believe we were blessed with logic and intuition for a reason :wink:

Hey if its good for you to think that it sounds better under high gain using your conjuctures abt the name and clips, fine by me.

I just prefer to come to a conclusion after i played it through my amp with my guitar. To each his own.

Thor, I haven played the Death Rattle thorugh another amp yet, mainly thorugh my Laney VC30. Don't know how it would fare against a real plexi or am old Fender tweed amp but i loved the marshall channel on it, nice warm crunch, defintely not tight like a Mesa the likes has a looser distortion. The gain gets a wee fuzzy like when u turn up the gain all the way on the plexi channel. The plexi channel alone was worth buying this pedal for me heh.

I a/b it against a hotcake and a Toadworks Mr Ed and i like the Death Rattle better plus it has the best tonal versertility because of the tweed/plexi channels. It has a fat boost on it, i kinda like it fattens up your tone. i keep it on most of the time heh. :p

Back