Edwards Les Paul Standard E-LP-92SD Review

neuro182

Hi all,

I have seen a couple of Edwards model reviewed here, but apparently this model has not yet been reviewed. I shall have the honor/pleasure of doing a review for it.

E-LP-92SD_VHB.jpg

List Price: SGD $1250
Local Dealer: Davis, Guitar77.

Intro lessons for all you Edwards newbies

The ESP Edwards brand produces guitars solely for the Japanese market. The difference between Edwards and ESP being that Edwards are produced in different factories in Japan and are generally considered to be of equal or better quality than guitars under the name of ESP. In many cases Edwards guitars are built from more expensive materials than their Ltd counterpart. Although these guitars are officially only available to the Japanese market, they are frequently seen on auction sites such as eBay. Edwards guitars are now licensed for distribution in Russia.

Specifications

BODY: (Top) Figured Maple (Back) Mahogany w/ Ivory Binding
NECK: Mahogany
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood, 22frets w/ Ivory Binding
RADIUS: 305R
SCALE: 24.75 inch (628mm)
NUT: Bone (43mm)
INLAY: Pearloid Dish
JOINT: Set-neck
TUNER: GOTOH SD90-SL
BRIDGE: Old Type Tune-Matic & GOTOH GE101Z
PICKUPS: (neck) Seymour Duncan SH-1n (bridge) Seymour Duncan SH-4
CONTROLS: Front Volume, Rear Volume, Front Tone, Rear Tone, Toggle PU Selector

Construction & Finish - Rating 9/10

Needless to add more description to the shape, this is yours truly, Les Paul. A very typical piece with a very nice "flammable" maple top. No pun intended. The neck feels a little wider than the normal Epiphones one, but definitely not as thick as the Gibby counterpart. As subversion stated, they pride themselves to be very copy-catish and they do it really well - from the goldish tone knobs to the trapezoid-lookalike inlays, the open-book headstock, the bulging belly and even the jade tuner pegs. The tune-o-matic bridge now comes in smoked chrome finish to prevent tarnishing easily. One of the things lacking will be the weight. Some people are sick and they prefer it heavy, but this piece is surprizingly light for a mahogany body.

Tone & Playability - Rating 9/10

Equipment used for tone test:
• Marshall MG15CDR amp in clean mode, all settings to 12 o'clock.
• MI Audio Crunchbox
• Boss PH-2 Super Phaser
• Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo

Edwards take on this guitar's pickups are the Seymour Duncan typical combination - 59 in the neck & a JB in the bridge. The 59 exudes a very PAF tone, very good for the cleans - chord works and riffing okay. The JB in the bridge roars with ultra bright, screaming mids (for those who used JB in the bridge position of any mahogany body guitar can attest to that, especially with the stock 500k pots).

When overdriven, the 59 gives off a very warm and round tone. I find a certain clarity in playing chords with it. When pinched, it gives a very faint harmonic sound. The 59 will definitely appeal to many blues lovers in the house because it doesn't go very harsh when you whack the individual notes, yet maintaining the warm sustain.

At bridge position, it is suitable for heavy palm muting and very open sound. You can hear the distinct notes screaming out.

Conclusion

This is the 2nd Edwards Les Paul I have owned. A definite must-have in your collection if you want to have that Les Paul tone, yet don't have the moolah to go for the real deal (GIBSON!!). All I can say is, for the kinda price range, it can be easily considered a worthy competitor of the Gibson offering. Personally, I don't think I am one who goes for the real deal anyway, so this Les Paul will probably do the job for me :) If you really want to have that Gibby tone, a simple swap over to the 490R & 506T pickups will probably do the trick. This is one hell of a rock'n'roll axe to pwn some butts.

-The color
-The zebra pickups
-The warm fat tone, which is suitable to play most of the songs in my band
-Smoked chrome hardwares
-Open book headstock
-Tuning stability

Dislikes:
-Wah lau eh, I pay $1250 only get 1 gig bag. No hardcase?
-The neck finish proved to a very good work of friction in motion.
-Small strap button (when I pull the les paul vertical to solo, freaking strap came out of the button and make me look retarded).

Nice review! Need to write more on tone though.. :mrgreen:
Edwards have really outdone themselves with their guitars.. Great quality, even greater tone!

Haha... First time do, so abit inexperience... Will build on that in the future reviews :)

But overall, I feel that you don't need to buy a Gibson Les Paul to really feel the real deal. I am getting a lot of kicks out of my Edwards Les Paul Std now.

Regretting selling my E-LP-85CD earlier, but then again, the dual Seymour Duncan Distortion combi is a little too brilliant for my taste.

hey dude, i own an Edwards LP-98-LTS. just got it from davis.

freaking GD shit..... can fight with a gibby standard any day.....

maybe u can write a review on it.

I have the ELP92SD goldtop.

3756886468_20d55fde61.jpg

Good guitar even in stock!
Hmm... But if compared to a gibson...
I won't say edwards are better
but it's pretty close and for the money spent is well worth it.

Last edited:
hey dude, i own an Edwards LP-98-LTS. just got it from davis.

freaking GD shit..... can fight with a gibby standard any day.....

maybe u can write a review on it.

I disagree. I've tried afew Edward les paul, they are great guitar but a Gibson is still a Gibson. I still feel that gibson are better than Edward.

Last edited:
A Gibson will always be a Gibson.... just like a Fender will always be a Fender. These guitars are for the more budget conscious and I would say the Edwards is a more bang for buck axe than a Gibson. Vibe and tone wise, Gibson gets my vote though. Do NOT get an Edwards if you are expecting it to replicate the Gibson tone in its entirety.

Tone wise, just use the pennies saved to slap in some Stan Hinesleys pickups in there...they'd kill a Gibson with stock pickups anyday :mrgreen:

Haha... First time do, so abit inexperience... Will build on that in the future reviews :)

But overall, I feel that you don't need to buy a Gibson Les Paul to really feel the real deal. I am getting a lot of kicks out of my Edwards Les Paul Std now.

Regretting selling my E-LP-85CD earlier, but then again, the dual Seymour Duncan Distortion combi is a little too brilliant for my taste.

To feel the the real deal... U have to get a Gibson les Paul Std ya. =)

Yeah can fight but the Edwards will lose la.

Nah....that model is one of the highest in the Edwards line. The only models it'd lose to is the 59 VOS and CS Shop models.

I would rather get the LP-98 LTS than settle for a gibby standard.... nitro VOS finish, non-chambered, long neck tenon vs gibby short tenon, bone nut, gotoh hardware....whats there not to like? :mrgreen:

Options

Tips if you want to own a Les Paul shape guitar

If you can afford a Gibson Les Paul -fine
If you can't then get an Edwards
If you can't afford an Edwards then get Grassroots
If you still cannot afford Grassroots then your last choice is J&D, which is cheap for its price compare to so many brands in the market.
Epiphone is overpriced because of it's name. I would rather pay a bit more to buy an Edwards instead.

The difference between Edwards and ESP being that Edwards are produced in different factories in Japan and are generally considered to be of equal or better quality than guitars under the name of ESP.

Edwards guitars actually aren't made in Japan... (source: TGP) Apparently, they're made elsewhere, and assembled and finished in Japan. plus, it's a veneer ontop of a plain maple cap. Not a solid flamed maple top.

Just thought you'd want to know.

nitro VOS finish

It's not full Nitro. The finish lacquer is nitro, but the base coat is still poly... The Gibsons ARE full nitro. Hate to burst the Edwards bubble here, but since I am an EX Edwards owner, I thought better not let these urban myths perpetuate.

Nah....that model is one of the highest in the Edwards line. The only models it'd lose to is the 59 VOS and CS Shop models.

I would rather get the LP-98 LTS than settle for a gibby standard.... nitro VOS finish, non-chambered, long neck tenon vs gibby short tenon, bone nut, gotoh hardware....whats there not to like? :mrgreen:

You mean this Edwards is better than gibson les paul std? and onli lose to those gibson VOS and CS models?

Back