Edwards Les Paul Standard E-LP-92SD Review

dont mean to crash or anything,but how does a poly laquer finish compare to a nitrocellulose laquer finish? does it affect the tone?

dont mean to crash or anything,but how does a poly laquer finish compare to a nitrocellulose laquer finish? does it affect the tone?

Well it lets the wood "breathe" hence letting the guitar age nicely. Tone wise of course it will but I'm not sure. There was a Gibson video explaining that. I'll go find and link you.

The truth? The poly cracks and chips off when damaged while the Nitro doesn't. However, take note, that it's a lacquer, meaning the outer coat. Even on a nitro finished poly painted guitar like the edwards, the finish can still crack when you hit because it's poly underneath. Though it is important to remember that poly is tough, and the impact needs to be quite hard, while Nitro is soft, and the wood isn't so protected from impacts. Think of it this way: Nitro is almost skin-like, while Poly is almost shell-like.

Furthermore, when aged, the nitro will shrink, and you get fine cracks everywhere, which is sort of nice, but poly doesn't. Nitro also yellows faster, while poly is more resistant to yellowing.

Bottom Line: Nitro ages better, while Poly protects better.

Regardless, these don't necessarily apply to the Edwards because they are poly painted, but nitro finished. The LTS series anyways. The cracks will still happen, and the chips will still come in time.

Tonewise? not really. No matter what finish you use, a thick finish will kill everything. A thin finish will not. Even if it's poly. I own Poly guitars that out sing some Nitro guitars. At the end of the day, it's something that should be decide on with regards to aesthetics and wear & tear, rather than tone.

Last edited:
The truth? The poly cracks and chips off when damaged while the Nitro doesn't. However, take note, that it's a lacquer, meaning the outer coat. Even on a nitro finished poly painted guitar like the edwards, the finish can still crack when you hit because it's poly underneath. Though it is important to remember that poly is tough, and the impact needs to be quite hard, while Nitro is soft, and the wood isn't so protected from impacts. Think of it this way: Nitro is almost skin-like, while Poly is almost shell-like.

Furthermore, when aged, the nitro will shrink, and you get fine cracks everywhere, which is sort of nice, but poly doesn't. Nitro also yellows faster, while poly is more resistant to yellowing.

Bottom Line: Nitro ages better, while Poly protects better.

Regardless, these don't necessarily apply to the Edwards because they are poly painted, but nitro finished. The LTS series anyways. The cracks will still happen, and the chips will still come in time.

Tonewise? not really. No matter what finish you use, a thick finish will kill everything. A thin finish will not. Even if it's poly. I own Poly guitars that out sing some Nitro guitars. At the end of the day, it's something that should be decide on with regards to aesthetics and wear & tear, rather than tone.

are you 100% sure about finish not affecting tone at all?

i've read that one supposedly let out more of the original sound of the wood of the guitar, while the other one actually covers it up.

although i agree on your point that no matter what, it all comes down to which one sounds better.

Latest posts

Back