Do u guys use the whammy bar?

*sigh* Floyd Rose bridges give as much sustain as fixed bridges. If you want to be anal abt it, then yes, floyds might have a couple milleseconds less. ;)

Theres many reasons for less sustain when using a floyd but the main reasons are:

1) Improper setup
2) Inferior trem

I wouldn't say most fall into (1) but for (2), there's only a few Floyd Rose copies out there that can make it. The rest, you don't need to bother about them unless you think $40 - $120 for a FR trem is a steal.

Hahaha! I just realised I sounded kind of fed up in my previous post!!! ;)

Sorry, I just get kind of worked up when the integrity of Floyd Rose systems come into question... ;)

jeremyrozario said:
i'm using a damn old yamaha yg

Hi Jeremy,

Your guitar is the basic foundation of your tone. No pedal can make up for something that's already NOT there. Before you buy any pedal, I strongly suggest that you ask your luthier to have your guitar properly set up.

Good luck,
~alamsemu

mine came with my samick guitar....kinda looked like this ->
7292568355552l.jpg

17wil said:
mine came with my samick guitar....kinda looked like this ->

that looks hella lot like an american strat trem. i've never seen a samick armed with an american strat trem. or that's not a photo of your guitar? just to clarify, i'm a bit confused.

erm haha tat is nt my guitar...i onli use that pic of my fren's guitar juz to show the whammy bar i have...i dunno if my samick guitar's tremolo iz the same...but i know its vintage tremolo....dunno wth it means anyway

American Strat or not, it's still a vintage (non-locking) tremolo.
Wilkinson are great makers of those.
I still prefer fixed bridges with string-thru body.
Of course, I've only tried them on basses. :)

wangdexian said:
American Strat or not, it's still a vintage (non-locking) tremolo.
Wilkinson are great makers of those.
I still prefer fixed bridges with string-thru body.
Of course, I've only tried them on basses. :)

i'm pretty positive Wilkinson makes floating non-locking trems. you can whammy up and down, it has great stability, and it's non-locking, so it's a good alternative to FRs. i don't know if Wilkinson makes vintage-style non-locking trems in addition to their floating non-locking trems. i doubt it, to be honest.

you're right, though. that's a vintage non-locking trem. the saddles look like the ones on american strats, which is what piqued my curiosity.

i personally prefer fixed bridges in general. my faves are tuneomatic stoptail fixed bridges, but i'll use anything from strat fixed bridges to barrel-saddle tele bridges to fixed bridges with string-through body types. i'm not too picky about my fixed bridges :)

Vintage and non locking trems... about the same lah, there are differences but I'm not going to dwelve into that. :?
FIXED BRIDGES ROCK M8! :lol:

17wil said:
whoa cool...erm may i ask what kind are the Ibanez JEM series?

They use the Ibanez Edge Pros as of 2003. Previously, they used the Lo Pro Edges.

These trems are Floyd Rose style trems, very very very good stuff, better than OFR.

Personally, I like their feel; they feel much less stiff compared to an OFR or a Licensed Floyd Rose system. However, I'm not too keen on the arm system, can't stay in one place without you having a supply of their arm brushings, unlike the OFR which is a screw system.

Wilkinsons are great systems... very stable. But note you will not be able to get the range of a locking trem system, in other words, a locking trem is more suited for extreme whammy-ing.

of course, absolutely. for regular whammying it's ideal (in my opinion), but for extreme whammying or lifting up your guitar by the whammy bar....er.......lol (not that i'd do that), i don't think there's any other major trem system aside from the FR that provides the stability and whammy range as an FR system.

perhaps the Kahler ones, though? any idea? i've never actually tried a Kahler system before. i've tried the Wilkinsons, the FRs, originals, and most of the variants on Ibanezes (it's hard not to...so many RGs come with trems. tough for a fixed-bridge kinda guy like me), tried Bigsbys, but never tried a Kahler system before. i'm really curious to know what that's like.

Hmmm... for the wilkinson and other non-locking trems out there, the nut has to be a well lubricated nut right? Like those Graptech nuts or Bone nuts or something.

Not too sure abt them Kahlers but it seems to have some repute.

Anyway, there's plenty of variations of the OFR to try out... Schaller FR and Gotoh are the best of them Floyd Rose Licensed copies... other than Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge.

I've got the Gotoh and i must say its extremly high quality and excellent stuff...

Back