:arrow: Results for SOFT 1st online music competition!

except for song 9 la, i gave it a 1. sorry my mistake. even so there's no need to call me a liar. i spent time listening to the songs and posting my comments.

Song 01: 1
Song 02: 3
Song 03: 2
Song 04: 1
Song 05: 1
Song 06: 2
Song 07: 2
Song 08: 1
Song 09: 1
Song 10: 2
Song 11: 3(nice vocals..groovy basslines=)(let him win!)

Is time for me to vote and comment. Of course i am not so musicial knowledge like Mr Cheez saying so well done. I am a better sound guy. I feel that the rate should be out of 5 instead of 3.
Here are my vote and comments. Pls feel free to read. :)

Song 1 - The melody is a bit out of your guitar rhythm esp when it come into the melody main theme. The mixing of the level is not high enough. Overall not so bad. 2

Song 2 - I hear some improvisation here which is very well done. Keep it up. A lot of creativity here n there. Good instrumental song! 3

Song 3 - Actually the whole song doesent really tally with the theme melody. But it still consider a very great song. I hear creativity too! 2

Song 4 - The beat of the song is like trance?!? Make the song not tally. Sorry about that. Good to hear those in disco area. 2

Song 5 - Poor recording but will not affect my score haha. This guy must be practicing very hard. Guitar technique must be good. But not fit into this time competition. Shld enter another competiton like fast hand play technique. 1

Song 6 - Although only piano playing, the overall melody is good. If addidtional instrument like string based added in or clean accoustic guitar, u score! 2

Song 7 - Jazz orientated. Good catch here. He/she got the theme melody well. Scored! 3

Song 8 - This sound like game jingle. If join the game jingle competiton u scored. 2

Song 9 - Another poor recording. No rhythmic in this song but i think is worth a good try. Keep it up man! 1

Song 10 - Poor mixing with the level of vocal and instruments. Will the pitching of the vocal minus point? Overall is good. 2

Song 11 - Good vocal. I can hear a very good band played. Keep it up. 3

Although there are good one and so so one, i think everyone deserve to win because is not easy to come out with own original melody. U guys are all great! :)

(Sorry james i was too late for the competition. Will join the next one hehe )

The following votes is given according to what i deem as the organiser's criteria of the competition:
- Melody composition
- Concept & arrangement
It's true neither have been stated in the beginning very clearly. But to be fair to all who have put their effort in this competition, it should truly be broken down. An irregardless of whichever genres/styles of music, these are my votes.

Song 01 [1] - Composition of melody is weak if there could be any. Uses only given melody to run tricks on guitar. Even theme or motif is weak.
Song 02 [3] - This person's obviously a good player. Mixture of energised piano playing and interesting arrangement. However melody could be better developed.
Song 03 [2] - Neat work here. I enjoyed the playing and arrangement. However, melody devlopment is minimal.
Song 04 [2] - I'm no fan of techno/trance. This is kinda Gregorian meets Techno. Melody is decent though not fantastic. Nonetheless, melody of chord progressions with the overall effect of arrangement is rather interesting. if i could give a stronger rating, this is a 2.8
Song 05 [1] - The scream of the electric was plain and rather effective, though the rest of it is a version of Flight of the Bumble bees gone reeeal bad. Repetitive notes, and no melody development to speak of.
Song 06 [2] - If i could vote a 2.5. This would be given for the only song other than song 7 with proper melody development. There was a full structure of verse, chorus etc. Very pop. Though i find the progressions slightly overused and the melody could be resolved with more musical maturity. Nonetheless, this is a composition that respects the competition.
Song 07 [3] - The only song with the use of key change, and at that, very sweet and neat job. The theme is consistent. And the only daring attempt at changingt the rhythm to 3/4 swing. Don't judge this arrangement because it's the only jazz piece. But because it was well put together! Music is always meant to Affect. This, affected me thoroughly. I could have given this a 10 if it was even better developed in melody!
Song 08 [2] - Rather similar to song 4 but more subdued. A little too repetitive and melody is boring. Interesting choice of sound samples though.
Song 09 [1] - A little lost in his/her own world. And the person seems to be developing the melody as he goes along.... And he altered the melody. A big no no.
Song 10 [1] - WHERE IS THE MELODY? if it is that weeny bit in the middle of the song where the guitar solo-s, this is really ridiculous. Sound like they decided to pull one of their old compositions and add one miserably distorted line buried in the droning quality of the song. A Jewel kilcher fan possibly. Interesting vocal though.
Song 11 [2] - Great effort and refreshing in presentation. Vocals were rich and could kick a party. Rather an enjoyable piece. Though again, i hardly heard any melodic development. Also, it could be sorta like writing outta point in a school essay, they changed the given melody....

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 3
4 - 3
5 - 2 (shreddy, i think u've got gd chops but wrong competition)
6 - 3
7 - 3
8 - 3
9 - 3
10 - 3
11 - 3

song 01 (1)

Repetitive, Dreamy Music
Nothing constructive to say hear.
Honestly, if your plan was to put me to sleep, it worked.

Song 02 (1)

For:
-First section of music is attention grabbing.
-Harmonica is a unique element.
-Piano improvisation is outstanding.
-Usage of Drum & Bass beats

Against:
-It's hard to outdo the first few bars - didn't sustain my attention after the first vox came in.
-Not my cup of tea. But part of this can be used in TV Commercials for sure

Song 03 (2)

For:
-Spy Music
-Nice Guitar Improvisation, A little messy with some mistakes though.
-Nice Swing

Against:
-Not as many contrasting variations as 02 or 04 but serves it'a purpose as a 'spy tune'

Song 04 (3)

For:
-Extensive Mix of Genres ( Electronic & Industrial Breaks mixed with -Cinematic Choir, Strings and Percussion )
-Melody adaptation by strings is unique
-Solo strings goes well with accompanying choir solo
-Synth modelling, sampling techniques reproduced by no other entry.
-Structure ; there's a buildup, and clear bridge/chorus, climax and anticlimax before returning to the 'main' Melody.
-Mix ; Nothing stands out too much. A 'flat' mix
-Sounds good Loud.

Against:
-Sounds Good Loud :D

Song 05 (1)

For:
-Respect your bravery for submitting your entry :D
-Not too bad playing.

Against:
-Recording Quality
-Lack of accompanying music

Song 06 (2)

For:
-Final Fantasy Music (reminds my of 'Aries Theme' in FF7)
-Classical composition is unique in this competition

Against:
-recording quality
-lack of accompanying music

Song 07 (1)

For:
-Outstanding Standard Jazz Musicianship
-Soothing
-Displays someone with years of experience with the instrument

Against:
-Only Displays someone with years of experience with the instrument; Only one instrument throughout the entire piece, for someone with years of experience, there's really not much work involved.
-No 'mix' of instruments at all; No variation in instrument combinations like 02, 03 and 04 , suggests lack of creativity as an all rounded composer.
-Needs Musical Accompaniment to be used in feature films or commercials.

Song 08 (2)

For:
-Sounds like something in an RPG game
-Unique Variation of the melody
-Exotic Piano playing

Against:
-Not many appreciate this sort of music but I actually grew to like this one.

Song 09 (1)

For:
-Another brave solo guitarist :D

Against:
-Guitar recording needs to be improved - read up on mic'ing techniques and maybe consult any studio enigineer friend to help with the audio post.

Song 10 (1)

For:
-Pleasent Guitar melody and support
-Liked the way you used the given melody to fade out
-Makes me wanna hear the female vocalist more... some kind of suspenseful mixing? :D

Against:
-Mixing

song 11 (1)

For:
-Bluesy Song
-Only Decent vocal recording here
-Liked the lyrics... or at least what I could hear

Against:
-Intro sounded cliche
-Abrupt ending... post production side fault
-Drums had some time problems

Song 01 [1]
Song 02 [1]
Song 03 [1]
Song 04 [1]
Song 05 [1]
Song 06 [2]
Song 07 [1]
Song 08 [2]
Song 09 [1]
Song 10 [2]
Song 11 [3] - Great vocals... wonder who is this.....

We're all entitled to our opinions. But may I suggest that those who have not read the initial thread where this originated read it here:

http://soft.com.sg/2006/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12633

Because we intend to encourage people to improve, we suggested not to judge on basis of:
1. Recording quality (some may not have high quality recording equipment)
2. Genre and use of instruments - not fair to those who are soloists and play only one instrument and has no access to bands/midi etc. Otherwise only people who are well versed in midi sequencing can participate. We don't intend to create a niche.

This is intended to bring out creativity - be it use of one instrument, band, midi, or vocals.

Having said that, we are still entitled to our own opinions! So fire away!

re: song11
didn't wana give any disclaimers before you guys voted. yeah so now just a quick response...

I was having midi problems... cos of lag... very hard to sync my drums with the song...

also for those who felt the melody was off, I dunno... Maybe you're listening to the harmonising? cos i never mix properly hehe.. Well I tried... hehe.

Well, i wanted to do more... but I realise 2mins 30 sec was up and *shrugs*... didn't wana overshoot... yeah, I know it feels abrupt too..
wanted to up the tempo but then i'll have to record everything all over again... sigh... so nevermind... hehe.. sometimes doing stuff on a pc can be such a pain...

and yeah i cant shred for nuts, the solo just had abit of delay and a wah just to cover... (glads its not a shredding contest)

cheers

i see some people giving top marks to their bandmate's recording and marking the rest down....whether your friend asked you to do it, or u're doing it out of a sense of helping your friend, I don't know....
but pls don't....it's very unfair to the rest of the contestants...

Which is related to the question I raised in the pre competition thread. How are you going to rule on the issue of multiple accounts?

Re: :arrow: Vote in SOFT 1st online music competition!

For those who questioning about range of scale (ie. 1-3, 1-5 or 1-10).
I think, it mainly based on number of voter.
if the voter are less, the range shouldn't be wide, as there may be voter who may grade one of the song "10 points" and others only get "1-3 points" to make it a great different.

In my opinion, the number of voters must be at least 5~10 times of the range of scale in order to neutralise some of the "outstanding" vote.
ie.
if range of scale = 1~3, at least 15 voters required.
if range of scale = 1~5, at least 25 voters required.
if range of scale = 1~10, at least 50 voters required.

Of course, people can just register multiple account to vote more.
But I think, people here are those who respect music, thus won't do that for the purpose of winning.

soft said:
8. Will close voting and announce winner on 13th March..

Dear SOFTies,
no much time left, quickly vote before Mr SOFT close the voting & vote his.

Hope im nt too late to vote.. :p

Song 01 [1]
Song 02 [2]
Song 03 [2]
Song 04 [3]
Song 05 [1]
Song 06 [1]
Song 07 [2]
Song 08 [1]
Song 09 [1]
Song 10 [2]
Song 11 [3]

all the tracks have good individual musical ideas, lots of effort been put in.

my choice of a winner would be song 7. his/her fluency/delivery and note choice department = tops.

Back