:arrow: Results for SOFT 1st online music competition!

song 1-1 good effort, music for Brokeback mountain movie

song2-2 music for next Wong Kar Wai movie

song3-2 music for next batman movie

song4-2 music for next Zorro film end credits portion

song5-1 Teenage mutant ninja tutles , Shedders final showdown

song6-2 TCS chinese drama theme music

song7-3 good jazz feel , one of the 2 songs that I actually listen through

song8-3 good melody and nice arrangement, the other song that I listen through

song9-1 good effort

song10-2 bjork copy

song11-2 music for Cool running pt2 about Jamacia first snow bob sledge team in the winter olympics

this is what comes to my mind when I listen to the music

good work everybody :)

interesting to read the comments in addition to the votes. some are good suggestions to futher deveolp the music.

Agree.

Hope to read more...

It is very interesting to read each listener's comment towards each song...

different people diferent prefrences...

Song 01 [2] i kinda liked the feel of the song but it was too repetitive
Song 02 [3] very very good
Song 03 [3] good solid rhythm, nice modern feel
Song 04 [2] didn't really like the first minute or so
Song 05 [2] it sounds too unprofessional but what crazy shredding
Song 06 [2] it's nice but nothing special
Song 07 [3] i liked it the moment it started playing :) short and sweet
Song 08 [2] didnt really make me want to continue listening
Song 09 [1] sounds kinda disjointed doesn't it
Song 10 [3] liked the solo and the vocals were really beautiful
Song 11 [3] rock and roll yeah hahaha

no 1s from me!

Song 01: 1 - okay, but repetitive
Song 02: 2 - mmm... sounds quite nice, not too bad
Song 03: 2 - Sounds very James Bond-ish. lol. Not too bad. But, the piecing of the composition needs to be improved on.
Song 04: 3 - Excellent! It's lovely!
Song 05: 1 - I would give a 0 but I'll be kind. Sounds Malmsteen-ish (this lacks originality in other words). I dig Malmsteen.
Song 06: 1 - Quite okay, but it's kinda boring. Don't be offended though.
Song 07: 2 - Gives you quite a nice cozy feeling. Still has rooms for more improvement tho. Keep up the good work! Would give it a better mark if scale is 1-10.
Song 08: 2 - Sounds kinda mesmerising. Quite nice. But the piecing of the composition can still be worked on. :)
Song 09: 1 - Has lots of rooms for improvement.
Song 10: 1 - It's okay..... woulda give a better rating if the scale is 1-10 tho. But something seems to be missing. See below.
Song 11: 2 - Ooooo, sounds kinda like your at the beach. Also decent. Good vocal. :)

I notice that some of the songs which I gave a score of 1 (except song 5 - nice but lacks of originality) for them is due to it lacking the combination of other instruments. Don't be disheartened though, I woulda give a better score if given a higher range of scale (1-10).

Good work!

Song 01 [1] Nice atmosphere, but boring.
Song 02 [2] Blown away! Excellent.
Song 03 [2] Makes me wanna put on my tuxedo and sunglasses.
Song 04 [3] This one beats the rest hands down, a Winner.
Song 05 [-1] No comment.
Song 06 [1] Getting there! Try a little harder!
Song 07 [2] I feel comfy in a cafe by the beach.
Song 08 [2] Felt the effort being put this one, but did not hit the spot.
Song 09 [1] Nice try! You're on your way...
Song 10 [1] Nice voice and superb effort, minus originality.
Song 11 [3] UNIQUE! Doh! Where have you been hiding all this time? Great!

I'm trying to be honest, don't flame my opinions, I'm sure there are better in future!

Re: :arrow: Vote in SOFT 1st online music competition!

soft said:
8. Will close voting and announce winner on 13th March.
3 days left...
no more voters?
:(
Will like to hear more comment.

James,
Since you are moderator,
you may need to write one long long comment for each song after voting closed for softies.

Cheez,
Since you started this contest, you also need to write one long long comment for each song.

We will definitely improved after listen so many advise.
(I don't think we will get so much advise/comment if we put our songs in OM section)
That's how we grow...
:wink:

Trust me, I'm trying very hard!!! I've downloaded each song. I'm listening to each one a few times using large headphones before giving my comments. My comments are going to be quite long. That will make kungfumonkey happy (?). Getting ear fatigue now. I need to rest my ears.

I'm only up to song number 8. I'll post after I finish all the songs.

Actually, I was hoping the voting to be anonymous. I'm afraid those who get low scores will not participate in future competitions. For those who get 1, please don't give up OK.

Anyway, I think I already picked my own winner. To me, it's obvious only one song really stood up and brought up the main melody throughout the song.

You guys inspired me to give a try too. Sorry I started this thread and couldn't participate - things came up and I had no time. But I'll definitely post my music after this competition is over - not for the sake of competition but for the fun of it!

OK. My votes. I based my voting on 3 categories - originality/creativity, arrangement, and skills. This is subjective opinion and mine only. Certainly not expert here. Hope I'm not too negative - but I think generally people gave their best shot and it's a great first SOFT competition.

Song 1 [1]
Interesting melody line. Timing of main melody and accompaniment off in several places. Main melody became the background. Monotonous (same) chords throughout. 1:32 when second phrase of main melody came in, chord progression was inappropriate. Furthermore, the second phrase of the given main only appeared once throughout the entire song. So the given melody wasn’t brought to light sufficiently. But very good try.

Song 2 [2]
Interesting mix of genres with different variations. Pretty creative there! But over-doing it a little bit. Main melody brought out fairly well. 0:56-1:16 – piano part has creative use of discords, but at 1:15, the scalic runs sounded a “random”. After 1:16 (from when the electric guitar come in till the end of the vibraphone section) – almost total deviation from the main theme. But at least it ended with the main theme.

Song 3 [2]

Nice guitar solo in the middle – although that section does not contain any of the theme. But since it is an improvisation, it’s OK. The energy throughout the piece can be FELT. Nice choice of genre. Although it isn’t quite original. Combinations of instruments: too messy. Detache strings in the background (playing triads) + solo violin 1 panned right + solo violin 2 panned left: too many strings playing different things at the same time. Song is 2:08 min long, Main melody came in only during 0:39 (that’s more than a quarter way through the whole song).

Song 4 [2]
Nice mix between strings/vocals and electronic background. Good choice of instruments (ie strings and vocals) – more soft “pad” type which complements well with the “hard” electronic background. Glad that the piece didn’t use too many other instruments – otherwise will be messy. Will make a nice mix for dance DJ number. Obviously showed skill in electronic sampling using mixture of loops and various efx. The skill, however, I think is not technically difficult – but the ability to mix them is commendable. Main melody not evident throughout the piece. The electronic droning seems to be the main theme. Also, they given melody was altered (D was changed to a C). When the variation of the theme comes in the middle (with the solo violin), the violin doesn’t cut through the music even though it is meant to be the main melody at that time. Drowned by the droning background AND the vocal pads which is almost the same volume as the solo violin. If you have other articulations for the violin, I think it’s better to use one with more attack rather than a purely legato one. Volume mix needs to be tweaked a bit.

Song 5 [1]

Skills not too bad. Fast picking. The piece had almost nothing to do with the main melody except it being played once right at the beginning. Then the shredding starts which had nothing to do with the main melody. Even the alternate slow melody which started at 1:35 (which is not too bad in itself) had no resemblance and nothing to do with the given main melody. It is just another improvisation.

Song 6 [2]
Actually the arrangement is quite good. I was pleasantly surprised that the main melody was used as the second phrase of a longer melody. There are some consistencies in the left hand arrangements (mainly the passing thirds) that can he heard throughout the piece – which makes it more musically sound rather than just “another improvisation”. I think it can turn out quite well if added a few other instruments. When the “Chorus” (if I can call it) comes in at 1:09, it unfortunately becomes “another improvisation” which has nothing to do with the main melody. That is acceptable, except that the progression and melody is quite predictable. I wonder if quantization was used here. The lack of change in volume and tempo (a little rubato here and there will help) made it lifeless and lack of feeling. I’m sure it will give an entirely different feeling if it is played without the metronome and with free timing.

Song 7 [3]
A winner here! The ONLY piece that actually uses the main melody well! The key is the first 3 notes of the given main melody (F-E-F) – this pattern was used in many places which made the listener feel that the music never left the main melody even when the melodic line seemed to have changed. That is actually what I was hoping to hear in all other pieces – but only this one brought it out. Chord progressions excellently well thought out. Skills definitely there. Obviously, this is the preferred genre of the player – I can see that he/she is well versed in jazz/blues, and has been playing this style for years. So some of the progressions may be “imported” from elsewhere. But who doesn’t do that – main thing is that it’s great to listen to and made me want to dance! Goes to show that it doesn’t have to be too complicated to be good. Ending was slightly abrupt though. I want to know who this person is…

Song 8 [2]

The main melody got lost and replaced by another variation of it. The variation is creative and interesting – I think I know the atmosphere the arranger is trying to create here and I believe he succeeded. Too bad the main melody was not used more. The repetitiveness is also a negative point. The unusual “tremolo” piano notes are…unusual. One listen and we know that’s not playable. But again, perhaps that’s what the arranger is trying to create – something unusual.

Song 9 [1]
Main melody only started at 1:12! And only in short sequences. Furthermore, the main melody was not the exact notes given by James. The rest of it sounded like random improvisations. Skills are OK – good try though.

Song 10 [2]
Again, the main melody sung by the singer is NOT the main melody given. The only place it came up was a sequence by the guitar in the middle and towards the end (with wrong notes). So it can really be any other pieces written for any other occasions – other than this competition. But it’s nice to hear real words in this competition. Voice was quite good though – too bad it was a little too soft to hear the words clearly. Sounded like chords was created, singer told to improvise words and her own melody based on these chords, guitar soloist improvise his own thing…. THEN plug in the given the melody given by James just because to fulfill the criteria of this competition. It's a great try! It certainly added a fresh breath of air to this competition (especially after listening to 9 songs)!

Song 11 [2]
Nice voice! The melody was not exactly the melody – unfortunately. But it’s quite fun to hear the words put into the main melody. I actually quite like it and I think it’s pretty creative. The electric guitar solo doesn’t quite fit everything else. Again, the melody wasn’t well represented throughout the piece. If not for these little gripes, I would have given a 3 just for the creativity and the great voice!

mingguan said:
3 days left...
no more voters?
:(

I think if voting is made anonymous, there will be more people voting. Just look at the responses of the surveys. Responses always very good.

imo...(no offense..)

Song 01 [1]
Song 02 [2]
Song 03 [2]
Song 04 [2]
Song 05 [0]
Song 06 [1]
Song 07 [2]
Song 08 [1]
Song 09 [1]
Song 10 [1]
Song 11 [1]

parts of the songs are good, but overall sounds "pieced-together"...

Wah, Cheez, your comment will be very usefull for all the participant.
But I don't think not much of us will willing to spend time to write so long...

Cheez said:
I think if voting is made anonymous, there will be more people voting.
ya... it will be more people voting but less people comment.

more people voting means the results more presentable of public.
less people comment may not bebenifit us... (ie. more comment->more advise->so we learn more...)

Song 01 - 1 (Doesn't impress me much but hope to hear ur work in next competition with more improvement)

Song 02 - 3

Song 03 - 2

Song 04 - 3 (Higher chance of winning. Creative work. closer to the junior professional standard. But this pcs of music suits to my favorite list)

Song 05 - 0 (Too plain. Mono feeling. Sound more alike those nokia phone midi ringtone. But still can be improve. Keep it up too:p)

Song 06 - 2

Song 07 - 1

Song 08 - 3 (Not bad. Suits my liken:))

Song 09 - 1

Song 10 - 2 (Lovely vocal with a nice and music played along. Vocal sounds like Tanya Chua)

Song 11 - 2 (Both music and vocal is not bad, problem lies on partual of the vocal making it sounds irritated to a listener. But the melody are totally wat soft uploaded. Keep it up:p)

Another comment about song no. 7. Everybody interpreted the melody as D minor - ie taking the first given bar as the root key. The arranger of song no. 7 is the only one sharp enough to make it C major - ie the first bar is the supertonic chord rather than the root. Both key interpretations are alright, but being the only one in a different key gives makes listening to it fresher after listening to every other pieces (everybody minor key, this one major key).

mingguan said:
daryl said:
no 1s from me!
It means "Number 1 is from me" or "no one is from me"? :lol:

i said "no" as in the word "no". if i wanted to type number i would type no. or number. "1" is, well, "1". we're asked to give the songs a grade from 1-3 right?

so, i meant "no 1s from me", as in i felt that everything deserved at least a 2.

Back