Amp high gain or low gain input?

backpacker

Hi all,

I have a Fender Champion 600, which is a small tube amp with just a volume control knob and 2 inputs: high gain and low gain.

If I want to derive/activate my overdrive/distortion solely from pedals, is it 'better' that I plug into the low gain input instead of the high?

Please educate me!

If I want to derive/activate my overdrive/distortion solely from pedals, is it 'better' that I plug into the low gain input instead of the high?

rule of thumb: high Gain and Low Gain generally relates to the output produced by the guitar. If yo0u're on single Coils, you use the high gain input. If you're on powerful humbuckers, you generally use the low gain input.

but this is not a must do. It's up to you. just go try. for a cleaner humbucker tone, I'd recommend using low gain.

This may sound silly. My understanding is that distortion pedals are normally used in conjunction with a clean amp to achieve the desired sound when activated. When used in conjunction with an already overdriven amp, the sound may tend to turn out horrible – too distorted & muddy.

Thus, was thinking by plugging into the low gain input of my amp, the signals going in will be less amplified and therefore lowering the chances of getting an overly distorted sound when the pedal is being activated.

Am I nuts or what?! :mrgreen: Do you all normally plug into low or high gain input when using pedals?

we usually try to connect the gear we have on hand and listen to the sound to choose the way we want our sound to be. Since we have the gear on hand, its only logical to try it out ourselves and listen to confirm what we are thinking.

Its harder to ask what some other think as they might not have the same gear as us or that we have a totally different idea to the sound we like plus the fact that the way we hear sound, usually are different, so its only safe to say, whatever we have on hand, guitar gear, we have to try it out ourselves and see whats working for us or against us

we usually try to connect the gear we have on hand and listen to the sound to choose the way we want our sound to be. Since we have the gear on hand, its only logical to try it out ourselves and listen to confirm what we are thinking.

Its harder to ask what some other think as they might not have the same gear as us or that we have a totally different idea to the sound we like plus the fact that the way we hear sound, usually are different, so its only safe to say, whatever we have on hand, guitar gear, we have to try it out ourselves and see whats working for us or against us

Agree with you, bro. I was toying around with this during the weekend. The sound when plugging into the low gain does seem a little more “tidy” when the distortion kicks in. However, the overall volume I can get from the amp would be much lower. Moreover, I’m using a strat.

Was wondering if there is a "standard" way of selecting which input to choose. Looks like there isn’t. Cheers. ;)

the low gain input skips one gain stage, right?

It all depends on the amp design .... all kinda tricks happens after the input....usually its just a couple of input resistor differances.

There is no hard fast rule on what input can be used with pedals ...go with your ears.
I found SS amps prefer pedals in the low input and tube amps can be both with delight, just one yeilding more volume and gain.

Back