Advice for ermm Aspiring Record Producer

AAAA Soundstage just a fancy word for stereo image !!! hahaha actually i agree with kongwee alot more..

to honest.. its more to do with room nodes and things that matters like having the tweeter firing directly at your ear. HF is highly directional.

Most rooms in singapore don't have the luxury of having their speaker placed 2 feet away from a wall.. How do we cope with that some better speakers have switchs at the back of them to adapt their frequency response.. it either takes a very good ear to know how much or how little to cut..

I have another school of thought though.. The price of the speakers doesn't matter.. the brand doesn't really matter as well.. the placement however needs to be optimum. But.. the engineer needs to be familiar with the speakers and it'd be all sorted..

@likui.. two speakers will definitely sound different naturally the imaging will also be different.. the frequency response of speaker are different.. the size of the box is different which relates to different bass response..

i've started the IEM craze 5 years ago.. IMO headphones iems never sound as good as speakers.. And to be honest with you.. I don't need fancy ATC speakers to mix.. At home where i do most of my rough mixing and stuff i have a ESI neAr 05.. Very cheap monitor compared to the ones that my school can offer.. expensive doesn't mean good..

but a good mix translate through all systems and to do that you have to first get used to your speakers.. thats my school of thought..

P.S its never a good idea to compare the bands that i record to Eagles.. unless i do record or mix a band thats similar.. If I made Avenged sevenfold sound like the eagles.. it'd be totally irrelevant.. =)

metalcaesar : I have another school of thought though.. The price of the speakers doesn't matter.. the brand doesn't really matter as well.. the placement however needs to be optimum. But.. the engineer needs to be familiar with the speakers and it'd be all sorted..

i'm a living example of that thought. ath m30s $60SGD is all I used for all my works. still not perfect, but i'm confidently doing better than those running 4digit cost monitors.

basics of all basics in mixing, first you have to be happy with the "standard bar" you set for yourself, then your client has to be happy with what they hear on their hearing medium. if it sounds good on at least (my bar is 8 , myself,band,critics) 5 pair of ears and 5 different hearing mediums. the mix will travel.

I've seen an example of a music producer using just PC speakers in his home studio from a magazine (probably Future Music or Computer Music). And I thought to myself, woah that's comforting to know someone as experienced and skilled uses PC speakers for monitoring. However, he did admit, it's not the final stage mixing, he'd let the pros handle after all.

I'm a hobbyist. I don't really want to spend too much knowing I won't get any returns for them. The same as buying new toys to play with.

But the urge, the temptation, gee... I could really use some Genelecs or Mackies or Adams, oh whatever.

to honest.. its more to do with room nodes and things that matters like having the tweeter firing directly at your ear. HF is highly directional.

Most rooms in singapore don't have the luxury of having their speaker placed 2 feet away from a wall.. How do we cope with that some better speakers have switchs at the back of them to adapt their frequency response.. it either takes a very good ear to know how much or how little to cut..

I know most people who need to do recording don't have the space. Some people they buy a large table can dump everything. Note that all speaker design in such that the speaker and the listener have no objection in between them. Those people pushing the monitor back to the wall, will cause the table to be the first reflection than the room. Depending on your workspace comfort, try not to have anything extra between you and the speaker. Some studio they have a room only have speakers, amplifier and player to listen to their product. It good to space behind walls. For me, I walk behind speaker to do some connection and clean the floor too.

I've seen an example of a music producer using just PC speakers in his home studio from a magazine (probably Future Music or Computer Music). And I thought to myself, woah that's comforting to know someone as experienced and skilled uses PC speakers for monitoring. However, he did admit, it's not the final stage mixing, he'd let the pros handle after all.

Well.... we do not have the luxuary. We are like 3 in 1 coffee mix.

let's get back to the point.. haha.

i feel that to be an Aspiring Record Producer, either you have to follow a trend or start a trend.

these couple of years, YouTube has been the mainstream media with lotsa successful artists who started from youtube. and with the likes of boyceavenue, kurthugoschneider, miniachilles, davidchoi, tylerward and many many more... hitting millions of views and being able to share your works worldwide, i believe its something.

other than the tube, we have Soundcloud which is like the best place ever for musicians to share their music. but of course youtube is still far more powerful. and that's why i'm pretty much just concentrating on building up a portfolio on youtube.

so unless you know people on the inside, i guess going aggressive online is one of the best ways. besides, that could be how you start to know people on the inside too? if you work hard enough and your stuff is good, surely you'll get the emails?

don't wanna follow a trend? then do something different, be creative and work doubly hard.. an idea is all you need... :D

Last edited:
I got two friend promoting their single.
They got help from a studio.
They have to pay for the production, album,poster.....etc.
Well, that most people will do.
However, this studio go further by introducing cafe gig, radio broadcasting and performing in Esplanade.
Recently, my two friends just return from cafe tours in KL.
All this "publicity" was done by the studio.
The studio is not very big name, but I think it offer a much broader service from what I know of.

I dunno how to put it so I write grandpa story.

Back