The Keyboardists of SOFT

hi guys.!

been jaming for 6 years now....mainly with rock and metal bands...me is an very inconsistent player with a few years of inconsistent organ and piano lessons b4 my NS days...only started jaming after NS at 23.....b4 that i only listened to michael jackson and jpop my whole life...

i remembered the super steep learning curve then when i reali started playing in a jam room 7 yeara ago!
gota learn from zero......jamin turned me from a pop guy to a rock nerd..

currently with la'dies(chinese goth metal) ,ken Z(chinese rock), and kaffaine(j rock).
disbanded bands used to play english classic rock and nightwish..

anyone wants to play nightwish for fun let me know!!!!...

Hehe... I'm not a keyboardist but I DO have an interest in playing the piano and keyboards to me are just a substitution for practice. No offence to keyboard players! I'm sure synthesizers can provide tons of other stuff, but my love affair lies with the soft, rich rounded curves the notes of an authentic pianoforte can produce.. heh.

As like the TS, my love for this particular musical instrument developed when I heard someone playing it... however, I'v always had an affinity for music since young and if you guys can remember, we always had to have a recorder for music class, right? xD

Alas, that was my one and only musical instrument which I loved a lot because that's the only thing I could make music with since I didn't have money for professional lessons.. I'm not musically trained, but I can play by ear... which is pretty much how I play stuff anyway. One of the challenges is to listen to a piece and deciphering it!:D

I decided to reply here because I found TS's taste in music fascinating... Nightwish is a pretty good band... the only metal I listen to is symphonic metal and there's only one band I like- Within Temptation. I'm more into classical, indie and rock music... although that's a pretty narrow band as I have a wide range of music interests besides death metal.

And I so totally agree with you disagreeing that music can only be cultivated from young- I don't see why adults can't learn music as well, although I know it might be a little hard as the mind's not that receptive to learning new things...

I'm basically a singer / guitarist but I do dabble in bass and on some sleepy nights in boring clubs. ... I do a swop and sing and play keyboards

Hi..I started out with Electone as a kid, but the training didnt last 2 yrs, in my teens i took up pop piano for another about 3 years. Always wanted to, but never sat for any exams before. Have gigged around for the last ten yrs or so and was in the club circuit for a really short time. A simple player, im a jack of all trades but a master of none.

My keyboard hero is David Paich, I also love the sounds of Radiohead and my other fav is Dave Matthews Band. Currently, Im starting out a new project band called "Mr Wind-Up Bird". I am open to session for gigs and recordings.

Cheers To All :D

:).....im also planning to form an indie band in the near furute and name it "Sputnik Sweetheart" arghhhh...whats with this Haruki thing!

Damn, that's my favourite book! Sputnik Sweetheart. Think there's an indie band on myspace called Sputnik if I am not wrong... and on my myspace top friends (her music is absolutely beautiful, check her out!) called "Sumire", the disappearing lead female in the book. I love Murakami's literature!

l0u5y and pno, thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm gig'ing with TBFKAS tonight at earshot, come down if you're free, it's free! :)

warmest,
s o n i c b r a t

Hi to all,

Been joining SOFT for a while but dun really visit regularly.

I'm mostly trained in electone, currently into composing, arranging and performing on the electone (but it's not too portable instrument isn't it...). Also plays keyboard in the church. Just started to learn and experiment with composition, so still coarse-tuning (not yet reach the fine-tuning level hehe....). Into jazz, funk, fusion, orchestral and pop music (still picking up..). Maybe will start some venture into software synth and MIDI soon.

Did my ABRSM piano few yrs back, manage to reach gr 8 but sadly my piano journey was more or less concentrated on exam. Thinking of jumping back to learn proper piano technique. Ultimate goal is to be able to play jazz well :). Looking to join/form band, really like the idea of lounge jazz trio or quartet.

I'm still pretty disoriented as how to go about improving keyboard skills and playing in a band. More learning to go I suppose. But really find this forum very useful. Wish to thank whoever started this website :).

Welcome yellowduck! Cool genre you're into. =)

Like the same things as me. hehe...

I thought when you went through ABRSM, it would be about proper technique already. No?

And it'll be Mr. James Woo that you should thank.

Passion couldnt be taught
Groove couldnt be taught
Talent couldnt be brought nor taught.

Even if one were to go through ABRSM grade 8 or electone course, i guess he still have a whole load of stuffs to learn. If one would consider grade 8 the standard for PRO, i beg to differ as i had seen numerous grade 8's with no sense of groove.

Likewise i had seen people who major in electone who still couldnt get their jazz stuffs right. :p

I guess all in all, weather we have a certain accomplishment, its still best to keep getting input! weather it is in hearing or seeing! :] that will greatly help us improve !

Back