Liverpool FC Thread

To me it seems he's lost the fire. He'll show his class once in awhile but otherwise he isn't going to try too hard for goals. We may have to sell him if he continues being so self-centred. Either that or fire Hodgson.

Whew Liverpool were quite lucky to win again. Gerrard is THE man, scoring a hat trick in the 2nd half. The 1st half was rather cagey, both sides creating chances, but Napoli took theirs, Ezequiel Lavezzi speeding through the defence to score. David Ngog and Raul Meireles had chances to level but Ngog scooped his first one wide under pressure on the stretch and his second was saved well by Morgan De Sanctis. Meireles was perhaps unlucky to miss from 6 yards after he managed to squeeze a shot in. All that changed in the 2nd half, when Steven Gerrard was subbed on. He scored the equaliser, latching onto a woeful backpass to slot past De Sanctis, before Glen Johnson won a penalty, which he converted. And finally, Lucas, another late substitute, made a brilliant tackle on the backpedalling Pazienza and Gerrard chipped his effort over De Sanctis, having all the time and space in the world. Good win, but Liverpool cannot rely on Gerrard so much.

Positives: Gerrard, of course. Jonjo Shelvey looks like a class player, had some good moments, but had his share of bad ones too. Was perhaps unlucky to head the ball to Cavani in the build up to Lavezzi's goal, but has to learn to be a little less selfish and also to keep his cool. Still, he's only 18 and he'll be able to build on this. Jay Spearing was excellent in the centre, he had to be with Poulsen beside him. Great tackling and movement, made up for lack of height with stamina and heart. I look forward to seeing him partner Shelvey in the centre some day. Glen Johnson won the penalty, his return has boosted the side. Nathan Ecclestone looks a real prospect, pace, dribbling, vision. If he gets more playing time he can develop into a classy forward. Paul Konchesky looked assured at left back, although it has to be said there wasn't much to be worried about.

Negatives: Not enough creativity in the central areas. It's well established that Poulsen is total, utter shit, and Hodgson has to get rid of him ASAP. Meireles is improving but he needs to get his head up more to make passes. David Ngog is improving, but needs to work on his finishing and touch, ditto Meireles and Shelvey. Maybe its the Jabulani but that's no excuse. Maybe unlucky to miss those 2 efforts, but someday one of those has to go in.

i happen to be up early this morning & watched all 3 Gerrard goals against Napoli - SUPERB!
happy-smiley-541.gif

It's well established that Poulsen is total, utter shit, and Hodgson has to get rid of him ASAP.

100% agree. Utter rubbish of a player. The first goal conceded against Napoli was due to Poulsen's confusing header...don't know what he was trying to do there. In fact, every game he's been playing was poor. Show him the door this January.

Great performance against Chelski. If they can only put in such display every week in and out, that will be something. I'm not expecting much, but the players are clearly progressing bit by bit. Other than Torres, Lucas has a fantastic game last night. His last 3-4 games has also been good. If he keeps this up, this will be the year he stamps his mark. Overall, the first choice XI are OK, but Liverpool still lacked depth and quality on the bench. Hopefully, the new owners can sought this out.

I didn't watch the match, but i must say that i was impressed with what i saw from the 30min highlights reel. Lucas was a monster in midfield, he cost what, 25% of Ramires but he was head and shoulders above his Brazilian compatriot. Torres is back, judging by this display. Martin Kelly is absolutely solid, Glen Johnson had better watch out. Hopefully we don't get dragged back down to earth against Wigan.

Hodgson is one of the worst manager in Pool's history. Sacking him is the only way to go forward. In fact, many Pool fans already sense something was not right after 10 or so games into the season....like it's gonna get worse if Hodgson allowed to continue. Sure enough.

Hodgson will get the boot....anytime now....sooner the better.

maybe can do like Lions - keep Hodgson and sack the entire pool team?

Nah...L'pool will not follow the PAP way. The top guys keep their job, the little guys take the blame....just ask W.K.S. The top guys are not responsible for multiple screw-ups ....just ask M.B.T. The tops guys are never guilty of over-spending on duds....just ask V.B. As long as the top guys claim it's an honest mistake, they are entitled to move on....just ask L.H.L.

:)

Finally....Hodgson leaves L'pool....the tail end of G&H era is over. King Kenny is temporary taking charge now. Hopefully, a new better beginning.

Actually it's more about bringing stability and confidence back into the team.

Totally agreed. Daglish will need time to set things right. So what is setting things right? Winning the EPL? Winning the CL?

Stability is about changing the mentality of the club. The correct mentality boils down to unting the fans, player, board and backroom staff as one. Liverpool FC have always pride themselves as having a 12th man home or away. Sadly, this is not the case since Rafa left. However, at Old Trafford, the 1000 odd Liverpool fans managed to drown out the 50,000 Utd fans. That, is a step closer to stability. With stability, the players will be playing with much more confidence and result will follow.

Yep. Previously, Hodgson was instilling the low to mid level club mentality into the Liverpool squad. He was happy with away draws, and winning against lesser teams was a big big result for him. For instance, he talked about how mighty Northhampton was, warned his players about the formidable Stoke, and how losing to a great (gasp!) Everton side was no shame. In another words, he lowered everyone's expectations at the club. And he kept giving excuses for his failures.

Well, his CV doesn't lie! Bar a couple of years at Inter, he was a small club manager throughout his career. And his away game records are one of the worst in Premier League. No wonder the players are not driven and most are lacking in confidence. They were adopting Hodgson's small club mentality and under-achieving mediocrity!

Anyway, Kenny will change all that. I'm confident he will get Liverpool back to winning habits again. Unlike under Hodgson, Kenny will eventually drum into the players' head that losing is NOT an option...period! But it will definitely take a few more games to undo the damage.

Last edited:
Back