BASS News 2005

subversion

em... i'm not trying to dichotomise gear news into 2 polar interests (guitar vs bass), but IMO, since there's now a dedicated bass thread here, why not implement a useful segregation... 8)

starter: An interesting bass by Fender this summer '05 is this Big Block P-bass, which i believe, will give the Aerodyne bass a healthy competition...

Big-Block-P-Bass-sm.jpg

Hey sub , I'm not a bassist here but I rememeber coming across an article on a bass developed by Line 6. It's called the Line 6 Variax bass 700. It is a bass modelling guitar which means that it can imitate certain kinds of bass guitars just like your synthesisers. I read it up on last month's issue of Sound on Sound magazine and I found it rather interesting....

Perhaps you could do a dig on it? I'm sure those bass players would like to know more about this bass modelling guitar.... 8)

if a bass doesn't have 24 frets, it doesn't appeal to me, hahahaha, seriously, i lyk playing the stu hamm bass solo, but a jazz bass doesn't have enough frets

subversion said:
starter: An interesting bass by Fender this summer '05 is this Big Block P-bass, which i believe, will give the Aerodyne bass a healthy competition...

interesting bro .. could you elaborate more about it :D

new stingrays!!

ok, being a stingray freak...

i just the pics of the new 2 pickup stingrays and sterlings at the ernie ball forums. wonder how the neck pu sound like?

jeremyrozario said:
if a bass doesn't have 24 frets, it doesn't appeal to me, hahahaha, seriously, i lyk playing the stu hamm bass solo, but a jazz bass doesn't have enough frets

good news then, Summer NAMM 05 also saw the debut of the Jazz bass 24, the name implies the obvious- it has 24 frets... 8)

Jazz-Bass-24-sm.jpg

some info on it:
Fender has introduced the all new Jazz Bass 24 guitar--a fully featured 24 fret bass guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups, active electronics and quilt maple top.

Standard features include a maple neck with 24 fret rosewood fingerboard, two Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups, Hipshot licensed tuning machines, active electronics with "slap" mid-scoop switch, Master Volume and Tone controls, and a high mass top loading bridge.

DoubleBlade said:
Hey sub , I'm not a bassist here but I rememeber coming across an article on a bass developed by Line 6.

ditto- i'm not a bassist either, i currently own one bass only & em... many guitars 8)

Dude I don't even own a bass at all :lol:

Anyways , Line 6 also has guitar modelling systems in addition to their bass counterparts. They have been receiving quite a number of reviews concerning the bass and guitar modelling systems. They even came out with a guitar modelling system recently specially catered to the customer on a low budget...

Hmmm, somehow I feel that on 20 fret necks, the tone feels rounder, while a 24 fret neck feels a little trebly. :?
Anyone share that sentiment?

that might be cause of the lesser string tension on your 20fret neck. it depends, though, i know some 21-fret 5-string basses which have damn tight b's. depends lah. tighter strings = more punch, and more percieved treble. :D

wangdexian said:
Nice, that looks like a MM humbucker on board the P-bass.
And, the Line 6 Variax bass is out already I think.

the highlight of the BB P-bass is in fact the pickup. it's a humbucking version of the jazz-type single coil, named 'Double Jazz' by the manufacturer 8)

I'll stick to my 20 fret necks then... for now. :twisted:
The Big Block P-bass sure looks impressive.
Where will it be assembled?
Mexican factory I hope. :p
Nice mojo with the painted headstock and tele style controls.
Now I have another excuse to get a P-bass, it doesn't have the same pickup! 8O

hmm, after watching beck the anime, ive developed this fetish for stingrays though ive never really played on a bass
anyone has a review for the olp mm2? and any idea whether it comes in white and black?

Back