Amateur's Gear Guide to Metal!

eh bloodstone also used to use the v-amp...until i influenced cliff to switch over to singles. heh, still remember them during secondary school days.

good stuff

I believe the pro version overall sounds alot better. I even sold the Sound Drive with the celestion speaker to buy this. Crazy? I think I am. But I don't have to go through the hassle of miking and pick up noises like the fan or my niece's shriek from the other room although that could be a useful background effect.

I wonder how good that V-Amp thing can really get... I did youtube some clips of fabulous guitars played thru the V-Amp and they sound really bad. I reckon it might be due to lack of tweaking? Or is the V-Amp THAT bad?

Wasp, what do you think?

Tried adding the "pro" inside? Anyway like I said by itself maybe not be that impressive but adding a sonic maximizer really does enhance the sound. I got to admit all the electric guitar modellings sound almost the same..haha. Maybe lack of tweaking as well? Some amps goes well with certain cab simulators, some don't. Then there's the drive setting, boost bla bla. I didn't really take the time to play around with them much. Don't ask me to give a sample of the sound. I do have a few short recordings but my playing sucks and you might hate the tone as well. I believe its more suitable for rock and metal rather than jazz or blues. I found a clip which I thought represent the unit well, but its the guitar not the bass version. Some people swear guitar sounds better on the bass ver due to the eq-ing. I can't vouch for that, played safe and got the bass ver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2C0Tj94uI

all the electric guitar modellings sound almost the same?

Interesting.

I thought so too.

There was an event I was at one day... a guitarist (from a band) was doing a soundcheck and the moment he plugged in and played (mind you, no one was looking, we were at the back of the venue talking), the bunch of us looked up and went - "that's digital?"

And true enough... it was digital.

But really, digital turns even the puny-est sounding guitar into a raging wall of uh... rage!

im sure as guitar players we'll all diss digital, saying is not warm, not dynamic and such....but from the audience's point of view, they couldnt give 2 cents for sh1t. So long as the music is good and the tone acceptable...its all good ya?

that being said, i still prefer analog. And most of the metal bands i've liked use a high gain amp compared to a pedal or multiefx (these bands used rack processing and pedals and all to boost their amp's gain compared to relying on dirt from the effect)

Last edited:
hey peeps, random quesiton but sitll related metal, do any of you guys own the peavey 5150? I'm interested to buy one, either that or the reissued and some say better version of the 5150.

hey peeps, random quesiton but sitll related metal, do any of you guys own the peavey 5150? I'm interested to buy one, either that or the reissued and some say better version of the 5150.

I tried the one at blackwood...really kickass sounding. too bad it was the combo version....

So many pages of posts. No one mentions the most commonly used pickups for metal.

So here are the more common ones:
emg 81/85 set
seymour duncan blackouts (gaining popularity fast)
seymour duncan jb (most common passive pickup ive seen in signature guitars used by metal players)

Guitars:
Don't forget schecter as well.

They like it tight & focused... compressed & tight.... tight & thumping... cutting but tight...

Uh.

Tight is the key word for a TRUE pickup!

[=shioks76

Dont forget dimarzio hs-3s amd yjms! Yngwie uses that for neoclassical... aka viking metal. haha.

Latest posts

Back