Amateur's Gear Guide to Metal!

Godspeed64

Ok. I for one do not enjoy playing heavy chugga chugga riffs 24/7, maybe once in a blue moon. Hence, I obviously can’t share HOW to play metal. But I do know the optimum gear, and I will also state the COMMON misconceptions several fellow softies often make, I repeat, often.

I will go through each gear in order of importance (you’ll be surprised those EMG Actives aren’t first!).

1. Amplifier
Your amplifier is obviously an integral part of your tone. Apparently, tonnes of softies try to squeeze out a huge wall of sound through a puny 8” speakers or 10” speakers in a 10W SX amp of some sort. Let me give you a tip, you need an amp with bigger speakers at least, and hopefully higher wattage. To play metal, you need more headroom. You want to get that massive wall of sound, then obviously you need a better amp! I personally feel 2 by 12” speakers are the best combo for playing metal, 4x12” too but if you’re using such speakers by now, obviously you won’t be reading this post?

I find certain speakers handle gain better than others. Like the Celestion Seventy 80s, they give a more present lower end compared to the Vintage 30s, and gives a more controlled driven response, albeit being a budget offering by Celestion.

Goose's take on it:
Speakers.
Careful what you buy, read the spec's and look for majority fav.
Those cheap transistor amp will give you much more with a speaker change.

An important thing to do with your amplifier is to sculpt your tone using your EQ. The guide is to not max everything out, since less can actually means more at times. Strike a balance between your bass (thumping, booming low end), middle (how “full” your sound is) and treble (the added bite, harshness to the tone).

Common Misconception 1:
Scoop scoop scoop!!! Well Scooped tones do indeed sound good on records, they don’t really work well live. The guitar is an instrument that provides the mids (more or less). By maxing the treble and bass, there’ll be a greater overlap with the bass, drums and vocals. And there’ll be a void of mids that you’re supposed to provide. Leave the scooped tones to your bedroom magik!

Now, if you’re wondering what amp to pursue for metal, here are some cheap recommendations:
Randall RG series
Laney LV series
Sound Drive SG series
Vox ADxxVT-XL series

2. Pedals
Pedals are a godsend for playing metal if you don’t intend to spend thousands on huge tube amps that you think would be the ultimate amp for metal. Sometimes, invest a couple of hundred bucks and you have a setup that can work for every amp.

The important thing about using pedals, is again, less is more. Don’t bother stacking 2 Metalzones with the gain on full so that you can get a “massive sound”. Chances are, you’re still trying to get some chugga chugga on an 8” speaker. And please do not complain about the “excessive noise” when you’re playing metal. Here are a few tips as to why it’s buzzing:
i) You’re using too much gain stacking pedals
ii) You’re using cheap cables
iii) Your amp is not grounded

Something Goose said! More about pumping the gain on your pedals and amp..
If you say Metal is mayhem kill em all set all to max...then 'bollocks' (all the best) to you.

Of course, once you’re found the correct pedal, do tweak to your heart’s content. Some pedals sound magnificent, especially once tweaked. If you tweak it wrongly, then it sounds stellar. And do not be afraid to touch your settings after finding that sweet spot on another amp.

Recommendations for those on a budget:
Biyang Metal End King
Beta-Aivin HM-200 Heavy Metal
Danelectro Coolcat Metal
Boss MT-2 (may sound too fizzy, recommend check out Beez mod)
Line 6 Uber Metal (too harsh, trebly and digital sounding to some)
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff (all 3 versions work well, although the slight fuzz is a drawback to some)
MXR DD-11 Dimeback Distortion
Ibanez SM-7
Barber Dirty Bomb
Rocktron Rampage

Recommendations for those with more moolah:
Landmine LD-1
Guyatone MM-X Metal Monster
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Goosoniqueworx Seventheaven (amp in a box!)
MI Audio Tube Zone (boogie in a box!)

Tip on stacking drives by Subversion:
i've tried many distortion pedals which, on the label, promises to manifest the metal type intensity. they do work in this aspect but many fall short of good clarity when volume is raised, as well as distortion saturation for harmonics application- some of them cost a bomb but they remain lacking. as such, i get better results cascading 2 drive/ distortion pedals to achieve intensity & saturation, some of which are the following combo:

1. Marhsall Guvnor+ & MXR Distortion+

2. EHX NANO Metal Muff + Ibanez TS7

3. Visual Sound Son of Hyde + Ibanez TS7

4. Danelectro Cool Cat distortion + Ibanez TS7

5. Carl Martin Crush Zone + Ibanez TS7

Common Misconception 2:
Wahh tubescreamer ahh? Confirm high gain one! Well, tough luck. The thing about pedals is that they have funky names at times. Bad Monkey says nothing about AIDS no? Lol. Make sure you do your research online before purchasing your pedals.

3. Guitar
The thing about the guitar you’re using is that it does not come into play as a tool more important than your amp. Thing is, a Strat into a Dual Rectifier, or a Jem into a Dual Rectifier, can both do higher gain stuff quite well. Of course, the same can be said for the opposite. Obviously, some guitars would sound better for metal than others, like Jacksons and Ibanez. But that doesn’t mean a Tele can’t sound good as well, in fact, you may prefer it to your liking. Humbuckers tend to sound more massive, and ‘bigger’, while single coils have more bite and control over your sound. Both work equally well for metal.

Common Misconception 3:
High output pickups = better high gain performance. This is so not true! Well not all the time.. Do take note, there are low output pickups that do higher gain better and give a more controlled gain response. For example, the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz model is pretty good driven.
On the topic, here is what Sub said which is very true:
http://theguitaraddict.blogspot.com/2008/10/should-i-swap-pickups.html
Shred's take:
You're right that lower output pickups can handle high gain better - better clarity, "sweeter" tone, less harshness, more natural feel, etc. More "controlled" as you say.

On the other hand, with higher output stuff - you get compression so suddenly legato feels easier to do. Suddenly pinch harmonics are a breeze. Suddenly picking becomes more effortless. The tone is crushing, saturated and just screams.

Looking at what I just said - either attributes can come off the wrong way too. Double edged sword.

An important thing about choosing your guitar is the bridge. Metalheads often tend to choose a guitar equipped with a floating bridge. Now, what's important is the stability of the bridge. Most lower-end guitars that do come with a floating bridge tend to go off tune REALLY quickly. It is best to invest in a better bridge, or a better guitar that has a better cavity that isn't prone to making the guitar go off tune.

It is true that not necessarily Jackson/Ibanez/ESP/BC. Rich guitars are better in playing metal. Made a misconception here myself, but I personally feel so lah. Everytime I plug in my SG into my amp, it doesn't sound as 'massive' as my teacher's Prestige S-series, or a simple LTD guitar using the same amp's drive.
Misconception 4: Jackson/Ibanez guitars are better to play metal :D

Errr.
Misconception 5: Must grow long hair to play metal.

I’ve said what I needed to say, and my greatest advice is to get your gear according to that order, with swapping the pups the as the last option, getting the amp as the priority and pedals as the second best option. Now back to playing da blues!

Last edited:
but but i just did ...:mrgreen:

LOL! I know.. What cab and speakers are you using again? I know it's something I've never seen or heard of before.. I like that MusicMan amp you're using though.. There was one going dirt cheap here on Soft..

If you have anything to add to the article, or have any arguments against it, present a convincing view and I'll edit the first post.. I'm hoping that it get's stickied so that we don't end up seeing the same threads that this article already has the answer to..

Common Misconception 3:
High output pickups = better high gain performance. This is so not true! Do take note, there are low output pickups that do higher gain better and give a more controlled gain response. For example, the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz model is pretty good driven.
On the topic, here is what Sub said which is very true:
http://theguitaraddict.blogspot.com/2008/10/should-i-swap-pickups.html

I think... it might not be accurate to say that high output pups don't mean better high gain performance.

They actually do help but a metalhead should not disqualify lower output pickups just because they are "weaker".

You're right that lower output pickups can handle high gain better - better clarity, "sweeter" tone, less harshness, more natural feel, etc. More "controlled" as you say.

On the other hand, with higher output stuff - you get compression so suddenly legato feels easier to do. Suddenly pinch harmonics are a breeze. Suddenly picking becomes more effortless. The tone is crushing, saturated and just screams.

Looking at what I just said - either attributes can come off the wrong way too. Double edged sword.

Also, I've been rethinking my previous notion about going for the best sounding pickups (usually lower output stuff sounds sweeter to most) and let the pedals/amp do the work.
I think that I was wrong. The pickups affect the feel quite a bit and pedals can't seem to cop that feel very well.
For example, running a vintage output pickup for intense fusion style legato shred is totally doable but ridiculously taxing on the fingers because there's little compression from the pickups. So what? Add a compressor? Add a DS1, SD1, TS9 to pump in more gain? Doesn't cut it leh.
But run a hotter pickup and seems like - its just easier... maybe even feels more "right" to the player!

I guess the bottom line is to use what works... but... what works? *shrugs* Try a wide variety of pickups then make an educated guess from the experience... too bad its gotta be like this. One man's meat is another man's poison.

I guess it's clear and simple.
One to add .... Speakers.
Careful what you buy, read the spec's and look for majority fav.
Those cheap transistor amp will give you much more with a speaker change.

More volume, reduced gain will help you get rid of noise especially when you jam/gig/record.
I usually set guitar to full volume, amp to pleasant mix (depending on venue) and then proceed to dime gain till i get faint feedback when turned away from speaker cab.(yes i want to be in control)
You would be surprised how less the gain setting will be especially when you jam/gig.
You band members will love you for being cosiderate team player as they want to be heard too.

If you say Metal is mayhem kill em all set all to max...then 'bollocks' (all the best) to you.

This is very true! I'm trying to highlight the fact that high output does not NECESSARILY mean they're better for high gain.. I forgot to include that word.. Lol

what are 2x 12" speakers? and i have no idea what are the what cabinets and heads for. i'm using a puny little 15 watt amp -.- teach me more on amps please

3. Guitar
The thing about the guitar you’re using is that it does not come into play as a tool more important than your amp. Thing is, a Strat into a Dual Rectifier, or a Jem into a Dual Rectifier, can both do higher gain stuff quite well. Of course, the same can be said for the opposite. Obviously, some guitars would sound better for metal than others, like Jacksons and Ibanez. But that doesn’t mean a Tele can’t sound good as well, in fact, you may prefer it to your liking.

Hmmm... Interesting observation.

Why is the Jackson/Ibanez combination better for metal than other guitars? I'm curious to why you think so.

Hmmm... Interesting observation.

Why is the Jackson/Ibanez combination better for metal than other guitars? I'm curious to why you think so.

Well, they do not have a signature tone that you obviously want to bring out right? Like a strat, you have that unmistakable "bloop" and gritty single coils that, with a fuzz or overdrive, you can bring out these characteristics out even more.. They are like the optimum guitars for blues (IMO)..

Then you have les pauls.. Thumping low end, raw sounding, which screams with Marshalls.. If I were to play simply Rock & Roll, I'd plug in an LP into a Marshall.. It's a tried and tested formula that works!

And then you have the Ibanez RGs/Jems and the Jackson RRs, etc.. I find that when you play metal, do you really want that "bloop" or raw, low-end? It's not like these characteristics will be accentuated by your playing or amp. And I find Ibanez and Jacksons have their identity in their lack of it, being most neutral and easily sculpted to your needs.. I would include majority of the ESPs in this range as well.. You can then have a base to work upon, if you want that harsher, trebly tone, its not so tough as squeezing it out of an LP.. If you want a booming low end, its not so tough as squeezing it out of a tele..

And yes, I realised I made a few misconceptions of my own..

Last edited:
hey, u forgot the electro harmonix metal muff with top boost,
that pedal also not bad :)

hey, if its possible, add in the recommended pickups for metal
maybe emg 81/85/89 or the seymour duncan blackouts

hey, u forgot the electro harmonix metal muff with top boost,
that pedal also not bad :)

hey, if its possible, add in the recommended pickups for metal
maybe emg 81/85/89 or the seymour duncan blackouts

It's in the list.. I mentioned all 3 versions work well..
Not gonna add the pickups part cause it is indeed IMO a misconception.. Include the recommended pups for metal and they all chiong to get it mahh.. Might as well aim for a better amp!

Well, they do not have a signature tone that you obviously want to bring out right? Like a strat, you have that unmistakable "bloop" and gritty single coils that, with a fuzz or overdrive, you can bring out these characteristics out even more.. They are like the optimum guitars for blues (IMO)..

Then you have les pauls.. Thumping low end, raw sounding, which screams with Marshalls.. If I were to play simply Rock & Roll, I'd plug in an LP into a Marshall.. It's a tried and tested formula that works!

And then you have the Ibanez RGs/Jems and the Jackson RRs, etc.. I find that when you play metal, do you really want that "bloop" or raw, low-end? It's not like these characteristics will be accentuated by your playing or amp. And I find Ibanez and Jacksons have their identity in their lack of it, being most neutral and easily sculpted to your needs.. I would include majority of the ESPs in this range as well..

You're right - different guitars, different characteristics.

Perhaps brands are one way to sorta describe a guitar. E.g. blues is in a STRAT, country twang is in a TELE, metal-truth is in a JACKSON, asian-metal-truth is in an IBANEZ, etc etc

But I guess, one of the reason why people like Subversion kinda has been stressing to the masses that its about the music, not so much about the brand.

It really is about the construction + mix & match that makes the sound actually. Like you've mentioned, (real) single coils have a certain characteristic that just seem to nail the blues vibe better. An LP (probably FAT sounding) matched with a marshal (not really a very FAT sounding amp) yields a familiar sound.

I find a good candidate for metal is one that allows the required "sounds & technics of metal" to come out of the amp clearly.

Imagine you had a FAT sounding Les Paul... and you ran that into an awesome high gain amp that has this incredible fatness to the tone... play metal with that. Kinda... muddy don't you think?

Ibanez & Jackson superstrats... thinner basswood bodies, thin necks, floyd rose trems, humbuckers... the EQ end up pretty even sounding with a bass cut. And many a time, metalheads will select a pickup that actually has scooped mids (or accentuated highs & lows). Why? Its all clearer.

So your rapid fire riffs come out clearer, tighter, more well defined... there's a biting aggression in the sound... etc etc... tapping is easier on the flat fretboard, dive bombs & whammy abuse is allowed, etc etc...

And well, good amps actually replicate the guitar's tone very well.. if a guitar is muddy to begin with ... chances are, the amp tone will have to be compromised in one way or another...

Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back