what to look for when buying guitar?

learning from a classical will actually strengthen ur fingers much better. since the neck is so damn fat, u can train ur bar chords, power chords, switching of chords, and since the actions are higher, u can train ur finger strength.

Hmm

Do fingers practice more often, but 1st train up the chord arpeggios & construction & how to strum them, then progress on to finger picking etc.

ya i guess its up to individual's preference then....i read somewhere the the lower the distance between the strings n the fret board the easier it is to press down the strings huh :?:
i still feel strumming kinda feels better n more fun~! 8)

Yeap. Go up to the chicks and melt their heart with this song, "Stairway to heaven" . Works every time.

:lol: haha~~ too bad me not guy, if not sure can woo alot of chio bus...
haha~ :wink:

anyway, i think i got to save up first b4 fantasizing wat to get then~ eh if my budget ard 200 bucks, can i get a decent one :?:

u can ask for beginner packages at davis, i think their beginner packages can suit ur budget. bring someone who knows a bit about guitar to try it out with u, and if u can, bring ur guitar teacher along is the best option.

haha :lol: , i dun hv any teacher yet wor... i was thinking of learning the basics by myself first den go find a music school n learn... i dunno if i shld get the cheap cheap one first, b4 i invest on more pro one as i dunno whether my interest will prolong...scared might regret getting so ex n nvr used it often.. :oops:

The most important thing……Appearance…..it must be attracted to you.
Take a look at the Gibson and Ibanez JEMs, very beautiful :)

if u buyin acoustic, 200 should get u a good one... If u don have a teacher yet then get a friend who knows, or just ask the staff to help u, most of them are friendly, thats wat i did when i first started out. Or u can go to a shop called luther located also at excelsior, their staff there are ultra friendly, they will tell u everything. I went to buy microphone from them last time, and told them i know nuts about mikes, and their staff jus gave me a lesson on mics.

wow, sooo super friendly ah? hmmm...mayb go down one of these weekends n chk it out~ thanks pals~! mayb i juz tell them i noe nuts abt guitars lor..haha~ :lol:

guys...i've seen this topic pop up so many times b4...maybe we should make it a regular(sticky?) feature on Soft? or add a link to it like the gear review section? yupz..i think this will utilize the bandwith...

yupz...

hehe...not meant to put down any newbies though...i was a totally newbie too..and i bugged beez upside down about everything, and i was like inside the old workshop at Music Plaza when he was doing his repair jobs, and picked up a few things tooo..yupz...

and yeah..i think by putting a sticky or a dedicated thread, it'd be probably easier for newbies...like myself too...(still learning and still unknowledgeable about loads of stuff) to get answers that we most probably want in the shortest possible time...

yupz..
ehehe

MuL

but hw do we proceed with the threads? I think hv to ask the adminstrator in here, whom i dunno who... but anyway i personally dun mind the constant popping of emails on this topic as i'm currently amateur in guitars n wanna learn more abt it~! 8)

hehe..the admin here is our bro James, yupz...hang around for a while, and you'll get to see him. Hehe...yeah..=)

oh cool~ 8)

anyway, thanks for all ur valuable n individual opinions, suggestions n advices~ GREATLY APPRECIATED~!

Pls if anyone of ur got somemore opinions n views on diff types of guitar, which brands is good, wat else to look for in a guitar, pls put in this thread as i felt all the replies posted are juz soo useful~! Thanks guys~! :p

I think since you are a beginner on the electric route, you should get either an acoustic or classical first. It will jump start you into chords and notes first without having to spend much. After all you need to get introduced to the instrument.

Electric guitar is another thing altogether because of the technical equipment involved. Money for quality indeed, but more so for the electric. While a reasonable classical costs ard $100++, a reasonable electric with the amp will prob cost 4 times as much. And keep in mind you dun have a good grounding in the guitar yet.

Also when u have become better with ur guitar, you will begin to be able to see the flaws of your guitar, in terms of sound, playability, action, stuff like that. When you buy your electric, it will make u a better buyer as you know your stuff already.

Dunno about you, but I personally dun really like the idea of having two electric guitars at home. I prefer two different guitars for the different moods I go through.

Well just a thought. It is still up to you to decide. But if you do, at least you are making an informed choice. That's what's most important.

Hee

Ibanez is good, imo.

They produce diff kinda axes which are very versatile.

I'm more towards the RG side. Currently, I own a lovely white beauty RG350DX. If you need help, I wld love to assist you.

Back