We need the JAMMING POLICE!

Aftermath - cops came, his parents came, begged my friend not to press charges , other two boys were identified ... their parents also got involved.

All 3 boys parents had to coff up big $$$ to repay studio damage..

All because of infantile minds who could have risked their future if things truly got out of hand.

This is a case to the extreme of course but I just tot I"d mention it here as it seems relevent to this thread.

Like what my warrant officer tells me, "CHARGE ONLY!" Sometimes they have to learn things the hard way.

If they don't learn when you tell them the flame burns, then burn them with the flame so they'll feel the pain. Until then, they won't learn.

sometimes the people running the jamming studio have to take some responsibilty as well.

some places use hihats as cymbals. like they take out the hit hats, one top one bottom, and they place them as cymbals. how to not break?!?!

and then they give you sticks that damn koyak, and then ask you to pay when break?!? i new sticks play a few weeks sometimes also can break.

and the skin of the drums that are weathered over the years are bound to tear sooner or later. if i suay suay use that day break then i pay?!?!

doesn't make sense right.

i think they owners of jamming studio have to use their discernment and bear the cost if it the damaged item has been through a lot and the damage was unintentional.

speaking of which, i broke a bass drum skin at _____, and i owned up and the owners said it's okay and didn't charge me anything. the skin was already kinda damaged when i went there.

What BigBlackBear have said is quite true.

However, about sticks... It's better if you bring your own isn't it? :)

In this case however, the owner AND the user should both play their role to keep the jamming studio a sensible one.

Well, I guess it's better if the jamming studio retain the ICs of the user... then after each jamming session, check the entire room. & from there, you can recognise which is a bad user & a good user. Then i guess the studio could record down their names accordingly... Thus they'd know when next time the bad user comes..

But it's just a suggestion anw....

IMO, I don't think security cameras would work. There is some jamming studio that DO have security cameras in every room, but the equipments suck like hell too. It would also be costly for the owner to put on surveillance camera...

Just my 2.cents.

yeah, you can't retain it by right. but i think ezlink cards (students) are fine. anyway, if you make a phone booking, they have your contact number, so they can blackmark you. but then again, changing of numbers/getting other ppl to book is always possible

yeap cant retain the IC.

Well, i hope the studio assistant does not use this as an advantage to charge ppl for wear and tear. Like if the assistant knows tt the drum skin is like gonna koyak anytime soon, shouldnt charge la. but if just change then break. It definitely is the player's fault.

and not talking abt drums only. Amps also. basket crank everything to max. and u cant judge people on how they look anymore man. They might look like theyre experienced ah but when they touch the equipment, the equipments are terrified...screaming for help.

always do a rough check before you start jamming.
if there is something wrong better report it before starting to avoid misunderstandings.

I think people should learn that playing at high levels is not a good thing to do..

it will damage the gear.
it will damage your ears in the long run.

I know that playing loud can be very shiok sometimes but playing at a controlled volume can help a band play tighter. Sometimes playing loud should be left to the soundman at shows where there's a good PA to project the music but not in jam studios.

jammerz should always respect the studio rulez
:)

Are you sure? My friend crackes a cymbal, then got his IC retained & the owner won't let go of it before we pay up..

yea i dont think anyone reserves the right to retain your IC. heck, even SAF isnt allowed to retain your IC/11B out of the camp.

vandalism will nvr go away, or it is?

I say bring back the cane for these spoilt young brats. During my secondary school days, those items were a standard in schools.

Brats nowadays have it easy. Parents all about giving them candy, cars, phones and all but forgotten about the stick and the responsibility of parenting.

at anytime a person is holding an ID which is not his, he is chargeable for "Fraudulent Possession" already.. ahah..

some ppl just don't appreciate the convenience we get over here. i've heard that some countries when they go to a studio to jam. they have to bring their own equipments. that includes drums and amps etc. AWESOME RIGHT? while over here we have the freedom to choose studios with what kind of expensive amps or drums that we want. heh..

and this problem not only comes from jamming studios as well.. even at gigs. apart from sucky soundman that we usually get, idiots would always crank up the freaking amps with the thought of "oh.. bigger space must play louder. later ppl cannot hear. not jamming studio leh" when the amps are already mic-ed up to the PA system. and in the end, it's the band's sound that sucks anw. hahaha..

cracked cymbals, broken snare/tom skins and whatever defects in jamming studios as well as at gigs need to be clarified before u use it. PLEASE.. make a check YOURSELF and clarify the matter with the studio owner/gig organizer/whoever-the-f before u start using the equipments. so at least there's mutual understanding that the stuffs were already like that before u use em. even if the drum skin loose and worn, can still clarify what.. eg. "eh bro, the skin looks like gonna tear. later i play then tear how?" "alaa... u just play only la until it tears then i can change new one" ...

oh well..

I feel that a black list system should also be implemented. Repeating offenders should be banned from the studio instead. A police system is a good idea, but what's the use if these stupid kids keep damaging equipment and getting away with it time and time again? It's also quite a lovelovelovelovelove to keep replacing damaged stuff in the studio.

Studio owners and assistants, it would be best if you could double check the equipment prior to the customer's jam time and after it. Always ask whether they are in need of assistance with the equipment they are using. Make them pay for any losses, theft or damages and record the names in a list. If the mistake reoccurs for quite a number of times by those same bunch of monkeys, ban them from the studio and disallow any bookings they have with the studio. I also agree with the system on retaining their EZ Link cards when booking since they're easier to track. They will also try the trick of going with other friends or bands into the studio since it's another person who will be booking so in this way it's easier to filter out those dirty shitters.

Okay, maybe another nicer and simpler alternative will be to set that particular group or person on a curfew. Any defects found more than 2 times will result in him/her/them being banned from the studio for a period of time, say maybe..a month? They can continue with the booking after that, but will be monitored closely.

Sounds a bit regimental but I feel that it's the way for these kids who try to act big and think are the next hottest thing. Why are kids nowadays so arrogant and ignorant? When I was their age me and my friends and alot of people I know slogged our asses off to be in a band, learnt our studio etiquette and stayed humble. It only goes to show how mature they really are in character. They can change while they are still young, but why won't they? Hopefully they will do a bit of soul searching in this area.

Cheers ;)

Back