Wad cymbals do u guys have...

Hmm... I think the sound files in Sabian's website are rather good guides for how the cymbals sound. Though of course, it might vary a little depending on the sticks you use, how you hit your cymbals and also the kind of mic they used to record the sound clips. But nonetheless I think it is a good guide.

Personally, I think all of Sabian's range of cymbals are suitable for rock. It depends on how you use them and what kind of tone you are going for. If you like solid and safe sounding rock tone that you can't go wrong with, AA or AAX will work well. If you like to have more shimmery resonance, HHX is your answer (I love HHX!). HH tend to have mellower and darker tone as compared to HHX. HH cymbals is probably a good choice for ballads and soft rock music, but then, who is to say you are limited to HH for that genre of music? If AAX or even HHX works for you, then it's good too!

It is probably already said to death by now, but again at the end of the day, it is what sound you are looking for what matters. Don't rush into buying cymbals, especially since you're looking for an upgrade. Go around trying out more cymbals (jam studios, shops, friend's cymbals etc). Then you will gain a better understanding of what sounds sweet to your ears. It also takes a fair amount of experience through trial and error to know what combination of cymbals works for your setup. I'm sure many of the drummers here would agree on that too.

Enjoy your hunt for your perfect cymbals! :D

agree totally..

hmmm..really have to trial n error for sabian...

how abt the istanbul/sultans?? anyone has comment?

thanks mel80.

i will give HH a readup on their website and let my ears do the deciding.

thx drum hobbyist, i will go down to music lab and give turkish a listen too.

any other recommendations for my ears??

thanks!

After the swee lee sale yesterday...

Sabian Hand Hammered HH 20" Jazz Ride
Sabian Signature Mike Portnoy 9" Max Splash (kinda an impulse buy cuz i liked the sound...no i'm not really a mike portnoy fan)
Sabian Pro 16" Studio Crash
Paiste 302 16" Crash
Peavey International Series II start Hi-hats

that's all..i'm saving for a pair of K Light Hats...or can anyone recommend some good jazz hi-hats?

Hi,

because I cannot post a reply to your thread in buy/sell section, this will be the best place to post.

I refer to your recent ad in the buy/sell section (http://soft.com.sg/forum/drums-buy-sell/97114-wts-some-sabian-cymbals.html), and I make reference to your sale of your 20" jazz ride for $600.

From this particular post, you just announced to the forum that you purchased said ride at the Swee Lee Sale, which boasts up to a 50% price reduction, and yet you're trying to make a profit from other SOFT drummers by jacking your price up and selling it at its retail price.

The more experienced drummers around here will definitely not respond to your ad, but I'm posting this for the sake of the newer members/drummers in SOFT who might not know when somebody's trying to con them with outrageous, jacked up prices.

While I must say this is a great catch, I am a big believer of the age-old economics theory of Supply/Demand. In fact, over the years, many people have turned over items bought at Swee Lee sale in a few days or weeks. I know people who buy high-end guitars and sell them later to Indonesia, Bangledash, Brunei for higher prices. Not because the real worth of the goods but more like, you cannot get those items in those countries, perhaps. The sales folks at Swee Lee will also tell you a lot of the buyers at their sale (who buys by the cartons) are buying to re-sell for a profit. It is not wrong to make a profit.

I dont see anything wrong with it. The buyer is willing to queue up and buy those hardware and not forgetting he/she is bearing the risk of unsold items. The seller may not be around to take advantage of the sale for whatever reasons and buy something off here without paying "Swee Lee" prices. The buyer can pocket a profit and the seller can get his/her items. It doesnt necessarily have to be that but the market is efficient enough that if the prices are too high, the items wont move. In this case, the buyer bears the risk.

That said - SGD600 for a HH Jazz is, of course, high. While its lower than its listed retail price, if you know someone in Swee Lee, you may get up to 35-40% off the retail prices.

That - a seasoned person/buyer will know :)

My point is that - Everyone have their own agenda. That includes both buyers and sellers. This is not illegal. If a price point is above the market equilibrium, the item wont move.

I agree with software maker...

Prices are up to the seller & buyer...Rich people may buy cause they need the item irregardless of the price or maybe they like you..hehe......I have experience it myself personally..

Many of my friends who don't have times for all this price check... have buy item from Swee Lee at retail prices and they cannot even be bother about the high prices.......

While I must say this is a great catch, I am a big believer of the age-old economics theory of Supply/Demand. In fact, over the years, many people have turned over items bought at Swee Lee sale in a few days or weeks. I know people who buy high-end guitars and sell them later to Indonesia, Bangledash, Brunei for higher prices. Not because the real worth of the goods but more like, you cannot get those items in those countries, perhaps. The sales folks at Swee Lee will also tell you a lot of the buyers at their sale (who buys by the cartons) are buying to re-sell for a profit. It is not wrong to make a profit.

I dont see anything wrong with it. The buyer is willing to queue up and buy those hardware and not forgetting he/she is bearing the risk of unsold items. The seller may not be around to take advantage of the sale for whatever reasons and buy something off here without paying "Swee Lee" prices. The buyer can pocket a profit and the seller can get his/her items. It doesnt necessarily have to be that but the market is efficient enough that if the prices are too high, the items wont move. In this case, the buyer bears the risk.

That said - SGD600 for a HH Jazz is, of course, high. While its lower than its listed retail price, if you know someone in Swee Lee, you may get up to 35-40% off the retail prices.

That - a seasoned person/buyer will know :)

My point is that - Everyone have their own agenda. That includes both buyers and sellers. This is not illegal. If a price point is above the market equilibrium, the item wont move.

To be honest, I agree with your above statements.

However, SOFT has been built on a basis of trust - the buyer trusts what the seller says, and I can safely say that most SOFTies are friends both on the forums, online and in real life as well. As a seller, it is our perogative to list any asking price, but as decent human beings and friends, it would be only fair to list a price that is fair to the buyer as well.

The decent thing would be to state that it was purchased at the sale, and quote a fair price to the buyer as well.

alvyn, no offence, but the price that people sell their items at are totally up to them.
if the price is too high, just give up as a buyer. move on. no one's forcing you to buy something from him.

i understand your stand on how people should be fair. but lets face the facts, sellers "sell" for a reason, if there is no incentive to sell something, they wouldn't be selling it.

Someone who buys stuff without taking responsibility for their own money by asking questions, doing research, etc will eventually 'pay' for their folly someday, somehow. (Hands up all of us who has ever been sold a dud for your first instrument. Heh.) As much as we wish we could, we can't protect them all.

What we can do is encourage those who are new to buying gear to feel free to ask questions via PM or simply starting a new thread if there's anything they're unsure off - They are responsible for their money.

Sellers can freely state their price. At the same time, the community can also freely call out anyone's bull****. If there's a misunderstanding, make clarifications/apologies, move on. We already waste enough time here, away from the sweet music we all should be making.

Enjoy your last week of 2008 folks :D

thanks mel80.

i will give HH a readup on their website and let my ears do the deciding.

thx drum hobbyist, i will go down to music lab and give turkish a listen too.

any other recommendations for my ears??

thanks!

Like everyone says, there are, of course, the BIG 3 and there are those that offers value. Tremendous value, I might add, as the prices you pay doesnt include the marketing dollars the American and the European manufacters have jacked up into those cymbals.

Of course, there are those top-of-the-line Zildjian K's that always sounds good on a recording. I have a couple of those cymbals but they dont always get time on my kit when I am playing something that I need a specific sound for. And sometimes, it really doesnt matter what grade of cymbals, a lower-grade one could match the accoustic of your room as well and sounds great recorded.

All in all - it really depends on the genre of the music you are playing currently. These change and so will your kit. I am willing to bet that what you have now or will buy soon on your drumkit will not be the same as the kit 18 months later as you go into different kinds of grooves and/or patterns.

However, I dont forsee myself giving up on these cymbals in the short term:

1) An old, very old Paiste 502 16" Crash. It is discontinued as its considered a starting-mid grade but it matches my room accoustics very well and has a quick attack and dies fast, which I like and it sounds greats for those quick crashes on a recording. This is the only Paiste I like as I find Paiste generally too bright and rockish for my liking (but that's me ...)

2) Turkish Classic Custom Dry Ride. Great ride for those slow rock songs. Great ping. Very dry but carries a nice rich overtone that sounds great on a recording. It is a thick piece and is not crashable. See Point [4] below. Totally opposite of what those Sabian HH washiness carries.

3) Turkish Classic Crash. Awesome Colorful sounding and I always described it as Shimmering ... Hear it to believe.

4) Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride. The most versatile ride I have used and will not give this up for some time. A very crashable ride and if I ever have to make money by busking, this is what I would use.

5) I cannot believe no one mentioned this to your question but Bosphrorus cymbals are great value as well. I am not such a fan of its unlathed sounds and looks but I have heard the JH series (the same Jazz drummer with the same cymbals playing for Diana Krall) and it is awesome. However, I can only afford the New Orleans Series and I have the New Orleans Ride for the Jazz tunes I play. Great for Jazzy tunes and has a rich smoking ride sound. Unbelievable and totally irreproducable from the others I have heard and great value for money for below SGD260.00.

The problem I forsee you have with those Bosphorus cymbals are that they are hand-hammered and Accent doesnt bring in too many. It took some time for me to spot a New Orleans Jazz ride that I like with the weight that I like (not too thick). Trust me, because of its distinct hand-hammered manufacturing, you will *never* find the same model of 2 different cymbals ever sounding the same.

In a nutshell, there are others besides the Paiste, Zildjian and Sabians (not a fan of Sabian as well as their crash and ride are sometimes too loud and brash for my personal liking).

The Turkish and the Bosphorus are great cymbals that carries great value. Dont give it a miss regardless of whether budget is a constraint or not.

Good Luck.

i think stagg is one of the good cymbal brands that have been underated.
love the sound of my dh 18" medium Brilliant crash.
warm yet ultra cutting :D:D:D:D

Cymbals

You guys have wonderful cymbals, especially alvyn's dream cymbal setup. Anyway, i'm looking for a crash/ride cymbal. Please pm me if any one of you are selling. Preferbaly, paiste or sabian or zildjian. Thanks.

heres my collection...will be selling it all:-

Sabian Cymbals
Sabian 14’ Vault Hats
Sabian 14’ HH Leopard Hats (old logo)
Sabian 14’ B8Pro Hats (not pictured)
Sabian 10’ Prototype HHX mini Hats

Sabian 16’ HHXtreme Crash
Sabian 18’ HHXplosion Crash
Sabian 18’ HH Dark Crash

Sabian 8’ HH Splash
Sabian 8’ Signature Mike Portnoy Splash (from max stax)
Sabian 9’ Signature Mike Portnoy Max Splash
Sabian 10’ B8Pro Splash (not pictured)

Sabian 12’ AAX mini China
Sabian 18’ HH China
Sabian 20’ B8Pro China (not pictured)
Sabian 20’ Signature John Blackwell Jia China

Sabian 20’ B8Pro Medium Ride (not pictured)
Sabian 21’ Signature Jojo Mayer Fierce Ride
Sabian 22’ HH Rock Ride

Other Cymbals
10' Stagg China Kang
6' Wuhan Bell

Others:
LP Tambourine
Meinl Signature Kenny Aranoff Cow Bell

3181950295_27efbcea54.jpg

haha mr ash, can i reserve the aax mini china and the stagg china kang? gd luck on the mesa purchase. looking foward to use it for recording!

Back