Tidying up your cables

THOA

With so many equipments running all over your recording set up (not to mention cables from your computer sytem), how do YOU keep your cables neat?

Just a curious question cos I am having this unsightly problem right now. I know that there are cable ties available, but it is a hassle for me to untie and tie them up again as I am currently building my set up (constantly adding things hence introducing new cables to take care of :?).

Pictures would be great! :D

well for a start, I always have a standard

1) 7 XLR cables bunched together like a snake cable : "L cymbals,snare,kick,tom,tom,tom,R cymbals". I actually write numbers on the "XLR head" with a zebra marker. like "1" on the female and "1" on the male.. then "2"..."2" .. "3".... "3.".. etc etc

2) then the standard 3 1/4jack cables bunched together "L guitar,R guitar,Bass"

then the vocal mic Rode NTK I bought a small XLR cable to put along with it so I don't miss out.

then I have another category and that's "instrument microphones" either for 1) or 2)

and finally a small bag with all the spare parts , 1 1/4jack cable, 1 XLR cable , 1 pair of behringer mics. and 1 IEC power cable. and err loads of adapters. and a power socket extension.I do mobile recording which means I setup and tear down the "studio" upon every session, and there's no room for "oops, I forgot to bring this" errors. haha.

hope this helps.

P.S : hey THOA, don't mind me link this post to my recording FAQ thread.

Last edited:
Bunching all the "like" cables together. Ooooh, that IS an idea! :D

And sure! Link away 8)

Any other suggestions? *takes pen and pad and starts jotting down*

haha no probs.. well so far this's the only idea that works best for me. does anyone know how to roll up cables without them curling/tangling? I got one method which ironically a kid way younger than I am taught me. but it works about 60% - 70% of the time only.(which is good enough so far but y'know it'll be nice if there's a better way) , live sound guys would know more about "being organised"

hi..
feel that blueprintstudios's method is best....if using outboards.. inserts,aux sends n returns..can definitely use the same grouping method...
on the other hand for recording...maybe having a stagebox(multicore) permanently inserted to the mixer channels and of cos labelling them mite work....then when wanna record...just use stagebox...and all need money...
all the best..

There is one really professional method. But it's a lot of hardwork...
Trunk the cables on the wall, make a cannon or instrument cable interface different walls. Then jack in each mic cable to your mics. Position the interface to where is closest to your common recording areas.
On the other side, another interface comes out and get's connected to your interface. Label each cable point by number.
It's a very tedious method that involves drilling, soldering cables etc, but this is how pro studios do it. That's why you can't see the cables. I was planning on doing this, but since i'm moving out soon, it's pointless.

yeah I ever thought about wireless recording for drums. but it's kind of expensive to buy them (can get decent condensers/preamps) , and imagine that 9V battery galore. it'll cost you 1 9V battery per hour.

looks like this isn't going to be possible for a long time. hahah. they gotta invent lifetime lasting batteries first.

apart from labelling the cables , i use velcro ...to group the cables..

the velcro normally use for network cabling ...:)
or u can try heatshrink tubing to group them..

Or...we wait for the day to come when everything becomes wireless.

I would LOVE to have an entirely wireless set up. But

1) cost

2) the fact that currently, wireless systems run on batteries and as teh battery juice start to die, the quality of sound dies along with it

puts that option off for me.

Trunking would be something I'd do if I know for sure that my equipment set up is pretty much confirmed, and most of what I want is already available, and that my set up is gonna permanently stay in the location I want it, lol.

For now, bluestudio's idea sounds like the best idea. Will look into a way to have them as that. I am thinking of having a carpet underneath my desk to hide teh accaess cords as well.

blueprint: what is that method of untangling the kid taught you?

Next 20 years or so, things will change. I'll be an old man, but younger SOFTies may enjoy it!

Wireless using too many batteries - well....they are coming up with wireless power research nowdays. Next jump in technology is using electronic devices that use wireless "streamed" power. But for now, alternative may be LAN. Already, we are able to get rid of soundcards when using multiple PCs - each connected via giagbit LAN streaming both audio and midi signals. It's still wire - but less wire. Let's see them develop this further first.

Penguin's method of velcro is a little bit more expensive than cables twist-ties but definitely easier to tie and untie.

heatshrink tubing is slick too, but again, cost a little. and abit harder to untie.

btw in case ppl misread, there's 2 kinds of cableties we could be talking about here.

1) the white/black thick ones which once you "click" in, the only way to get it out is cutting it.

2) the one i'm using, usually comes in green/black, small twistable wires, a.k.a "magic twist-ties"

I have a few more cost efficient method of keeping cables organised and neat. but I'll post after i test it working for me.

THOA : oh that method of untangling is SOMEHOW similar when I compared with someone who learned in SAE (but mine untangled better than his,yay). but more efficient for shorter cables up to 15metres. those huge long livesound cables definitely involve your elbow. thanks for asking though, I'll need to do a video to show exactly how it goes. that one I'll update my recording faq when I'm able to film heheh.

Cheez & THOA : haha wrong man, in the world of audio, there no such thing as being old, but "vintage" . vintage has its high worth you know. once this techno-ish bengish kid told me "techno music is for youngsters like us only" , I heard the music (came from taiwan/HK) and it was all too familiar cos I "was there" when the mixing engineer was working on it. happened to be my friend's work. I told him "err... but the composer of this music/song is a 40 year old man. you're listening to 40 year old man's composition.." hehehe.

20¢ worth

Trunking is actually not expensive. At less than $100, you can have the trunks, junction boxes, plaster or wood etc. It's just a hell of a lot of work... and sweat, and dust!!! That's what i do in my day job!!

Back