The line between Emo and Ballad songs

I'm sure you've heard that "Music has the power to move people."I hope those who lack attention DON'T take this quote as an excuse to cut themselves up....

Emocore (abbreviated from "emotional hardcore") was a term that was used most popularly in the 1980s and 1990s to describe a genre of music that was an offshoot of the hardcore music scene. As an expansion of hardcore, emocore was known for its deeply emotional lyrics, and often contained more melodic music than its hardcore brethren. Emocore performances were intense, often bordering on catharsis, with performers and audience members often driven to the point of tears during shows.

Metalcore is a musical genre consisting of a mix between heavy metal and hardcore. Although the genre has risen in popularity after the turn of the millennium, it is not as many would believe a recent genre, as bands such as Integrity have been around since the late 1980s.

The definations of the 2 genres. . go figure!

well,i dont bother myself to think about too much what exactly emo is...just relax and enjoy the music..you just gotta follow your feeling and feel what's emo to you then you got it! :D

if music drives u to cut urself up, want to commit sucide or whatever..yeesh u gotta be pretty much screwed up in the head. or maybe ur just plain queer.

i think the most obvious difference emo bands have as compared to other bands is that they usually sing abt like, love, lost of love, lost of loved ones, basically emo-tional stuff, yes? and they're different from ballads because, they sound like emo -_-" aiya, go listen to taking back sunday, matchbookromance, mychemical romance, u'll get the gist of it. [/i]

emo1.jpg

emo2.jpg

hopefully the article above will help with the query. that was taken from WakeMeUpZine from the April 2003 issue. check out the "How To Be Emo" column, at the bottom right. hehehehehehhe...

the 1st time i heard "Emo" was when someone played for me a song by Plainsunset. i was told it was "Emo", a new genre of music. the 1st thing that came to me was, "Hey, that sounds like the band Quicksand." (check out Quicksand's releases Slip (1993) and Manic Compression (1995). and also their Self-titled EP.) ok, i might be wrong, but that's it...

i remember it flourished so much in early2003-mid2004 that any guitarist or local bands u meet will say "we play emo" or "we play emopunk." anw, i guess its just easier to listen to the music and enjoi...

alifzaini said:
i saw in another forum that real emo music make emo kids take out their razorblades and slash themselves ..

i don't really find that idea realistic. ppl taking out razors and cutting themselves cuz the song is nice to hear ...

its real. it even happens in blackmetal. when dark funeral came to singapore some time ago, the vocalist was comparing the singaporean crowd with the one back home in norway. he said singaporeans were much more spontaneous and energetic whereas the norwegians usually stood one corner with a razor blade and started cutting their hands. i dont know if he was being sarcastic or not when he said that

anyway anything with a -core at the back means that the particular band has hardcore music as one of its main influences, eg. metalcore = metal + hardcore and so on. emo music as far as im concerned is about the lyrics, not the music. because to really cry or get angry to happy, you dont really need lyrics, the music alone can do the job. but emocore, the emo part lies in the lyrics while the -core lies in the music. as for screamo....well its emocore music with a lot of screaming.

man the previous previous previous post was so lengthy..i lazy to read man..haha

anyway.. My chemical romance is classified under EmoScreamo. Yes it's an actually genre.. well..that's wat Denise said on MTV.

i wish they didn't have that many subgenres..it's so irritating to me.. i'd just listen to this music and say..hey this punk song is not bad... even if that song is emocore or watever la

nowadays, every single pop-punk song is so-called 'emo'. soon, bowling for soup will be called "emo" as well and not forgetting britney spears... she'll be emo also soon.

sorry for babbling there. hahaha.

ahh. the reason you only heard about emo recently is because more bands have burst mainstream. but the best emo bands are still underground of course. so a lot of what you hear is either not emo, or is punk-rockers trying to be emo. (boxcar racer)

Back