The line between Emo and Ballad songs

DoubleBlade

Correct me if I'm wrong but Emo is a relatively new genre to music? Cause about 4 years back , the word "Emo" was unheard of to me. The first time I ever heard of a genre called "Emo" was when Simple Plan smashed into the MTV scene....

Take for example Simple Plan's Untitled song. I seriously can't distinguish whether it is an emo or ballad song. The lyrics are so emo-ish while the arrangements (strings , guitar , drums) are of ballad style...

Am I right to say that Emo music is define for it's lyrics because I noticed that most emo songs follow a certain trend like , " I wanna slice myself up cause my girlfriend left me" or "I wanna jump down from a 12 storey building because I'm sick of this life" etc. Something like anger and sadness taken to the extreme....

Someone please enlighten me on the line between Emo and Ballad songs?

hmmm..ya...cant diffferentiate it too...and wats the diff between emopunk and emocore?? someone enlighten me pls...and whats my chemical romance classify under??cos i really cant seem to figure out what genre they under..my frend told me its emocore...

haha personally i think mcr's emocore. yup. they get a little screamy. dont think they're emopunk at all.

haha... too many genres and sub-genres...
any softies can enlighten our minds on how emo music is supposed to be?
must it make the listener emotional? or izzit just the music?
and, what is core?

Simple plan is not emo, they are pop punk. As mentioned, Chemical romance is emo, Thursday and Glassjaw is emo too. Emo usually has some form of screaming in the song and emotionally charged lyrics, more adrenalin charged. But them nowadays u have another gnere that diverge from emo, called screamo. So i am pretty confused too. The untitiled song u mentioned is jus a ballad.

i dunno about the core man...theres like metalcore yrs ago...and now emocore...sub-genre r getting more and more difficult to understand...

DoubleBlade said:
Am I right to say that Emo music is define for it's lyrics because I noticed that most emo songs follow a certain trend like , " I wanna slice myself up cause my girlfriend left me" or "I wanna jump down from a 12 storey building because I'm sick of this life" etc. Something like anger and sadness taken to the extreme....
Although I'm not that big of an emo fan, that part seems to be mocking them man...

there's like metalcore,emocore and screamocore? i dunno
and is emo judged by lyrics or music? or maybe both? haha

nowadays too many genres and new bands making newer genres everytime
i saw an unsigned band on the net which said they played 'fairytale rock' ..
maybe it'll be a hit someday (i hope not)

and maybe there will be hiphop rock (i shudder at the thought)

don't mind me ... i'm just lame

THe reason why I'm saying this is because I once came across a so called arguement on friendster. Something like you know "Bulliten Wars"?

Where one person (who is on your list) starts to diss another person through posting numerous bulliten post just so that his/her friends can see what a jerk the other party is?

Well I came across one such arguement about "So you think you're Emo enough?"

"So you think you cut yourself up is considered Emo?" and I started to wonder , is that what Emo is all about?

Listen to my chemical romance and I'm sure this quote rings the bell , "So slice off the veins and let the romance bleed." In fact at one point in time , it was a rather popular MSN nick....

I mean yeah there are definitely some misconceptions here and maybe someone would like to prove me wrong on my quote wangdexian quoted made?

Fairytale rock? 8O

I can imagine someone singing about snow white , peter pan , thumbalina and head banging to guitar solos after that....

Okay that's lame....

i saw in another forum that real emo music make emo kids take out their razorblades and slash themselves ..

i don't really find that idea realistic. ppl taking out razors and cutting themselves cuz the song is nice to hear ...

haha they already have hiphoppish rock. its pretty much erm, rapping wit the background music being rock music n guitar solos. i have one track titled 'Rock Superstar', by this rap group back in the 80s n the rock guitarist is slash himself. no kiddin cuz at the end of the song, this announcer said slash's name.

DoubleBlade said:
Fairytale rock? 8O

I can imagine someone singing about snow white , peter pan , thumbalina and head banging to guitar solos after that....

Okay that's lame....

i heard their song sometime ago ... their songs is like slow and like have techno sounds or piano sounds (whatever) ...

and the band has 3 ppl ... 1 guy 2 gals ... the guy looked rather goth .. and the girls were like out of the victorian era?

Well. Music and lyrics are merely forms of expression. And I personally think those people who start slashing themselves, mostly just lack attention or whatever. So them blaming it all on the music that they listen to is, well, pure bullshit. Haha.

The wise one has spoken. ; )

I just think all this subsubsubsubgenres are gettin more and more redundant. Lol.

Latest posts

Back