shred

dario

how do I reach shredding speeds? can somebody help me with exercises to help increase my speed. It's really frustrating that I can't reach up to the speed without losing my clarity and stability. :cry:

How do the people do shredding in the first place? Do they pluck every note? Do they do alternate picking? Or is it just a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs?

both hands fingers coordination ... left hand fingers do the running and right hand fingers alternate pick everyone of them ... of cos, occasionally, u let your left hand fingers do the H/O and P/O ...

yes, practice at slow speed and increase as u get familiar with it ...

hmm depends on what kind of shredding ure talking abt..

legato can be damn fast, to a level of "shredding"...

one pick one note is super hard, keep practising man. clean, plugged into the amp.

lol shredding is not everything man.

Shredding is a basically playing fast. You can achieve that with many techniques: Alternate pick, Economy pick, Sweep picking, legato and so on.

I'll give you the same advise I gave to newbie. If you find yourself stuck, and you've been trying so hard for hours and days on end but you just can't seem to get faster. Stop. Stop practising ANY shred licks or exercises and just do something else. Come back to the instrument a day or 2 later...
You'll prob find some improvement, whether in speed or your muscle memory.

Note that while EVERYONE out there can play fast. Not all can shred. Even less are those who can shred with some meaning to it and not just inane shredding. Same goes for blues and all that... not all has the "feel", some take years to get there, some are awesome at a young age.

So know yourself, and don't push yourself beyond what you can't do. Be realistic.

Actually, just food for thought...

There's many ppl out there who can shred like no tomorrow... but you know... you listen to them, they shred on and you raise your eyebrows a couple of times... Great, awesome playing.

Then they are done.

And you don't remember what the hell they just played.

Or

You go home and listen to your fave shred CD and realise that dude was playing the same stuff!

In the huge world of talented musicians... one has to be 2 things to stand out. Be very good, in fact, be a virtuoso. Or you be different.

Every musician realises that in the end, he is playing from himself, and that music is an extension of himself. But IMO, every GOOD musician realises the need for a unique voice, to stand out amidst all the other great players.

Well... just some food for thought as dario goes on his quest for shred. ;)

ShredCow said:
music is an extension of himself. But IMO, every GOOD musician realises the need for a unique voice, to stand out amidst all the other great players.

woahhh,
Deep dude ~!
Real deep ~!
ROCK ON ~!

I would say that if u wanna practice shred what u have to do is first get you fingers up to speed... All of the fingers... Then next up the list is to practice picking accuracy... What you can do to practice is maybe play these notes... (12th fret) D, Eb, F, G (on the G string) play it D to G then back the notes down to D... Keep going back and forth till you get it accurate... Pickstrokes are down up down then on the G u do an upstroke... Practice this up to get the accuracy in... Also what you can do once u get this right is play an ascending of a major scale... Say... E major... Start slow from E to Ab and all the way back down... Just keep doing it till again u get it right... It'll be good to practice with metronome set at a slow pace and increments of 8 bpm... Try it and good luck!
Regards
Nick

ShredCow said:
Shredding is a basically playing fast. You can achieve that with many techniques: Alternate pick, Economy pick, Sweep picking, legato and so on.

Hi mind explaining the terms alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking and legato pls, i might know them but just dunno the terms used.. thanks

ShredCow said:
In the huge world of talented musicians... one has to be 2 things to stand out. Be very good, in fact, be a virtuoso. Or you be different.

Every musician realises that in the end, he is playing from himself, and that music is an extension of himself. But IMO, every GOOD musician realises the need for a unique voice, to stand out amidst all the other great players.

Couldn't agree more. Aim to be unique.

Even so, there's nothing wrong with learning how to shred and I think you appreciate this anyway. Spend a few years or decades honing your technique so long as you don't lose sight of the bigger picture. Speed is part of your arsenal. Use it to add dynamic contrast. If that's all you do, you'll be boring like the billions of other 'shredders' out there.

vern +1

i wholly agree, and i think that getting the beats and melodies right in a song is more impt than being able to shred. Shredding out of tune and not in sync with the rest of the band/ backing track is much worse than playing a slow solo.

besides, there are guitar greats who dont shred that often, think SRV.

There's nothing I can't stand more than a guitarist who shreds 100% of the time. Not in key even. All these while dressing and posing like his favourite guitar hero.

:roll:

if you have to shred 100% of the time, it just shows how narrow you are as a guitarist. Theres definitely more to the guitar than just shredding.

I do some shredding just to train up my fingers and consistency, when i write stuff or improvise, i dont shred.

Mobius said:
Shredding is only good for impressing other guitarist :lol:

You know... its not good to go to the other extreme.

I've hear guitarists say shred is just plain stupid... no feel, no melody, just mindless note after note after note. So they forgo technique and just say they want to do whats right for the song.

To that I say you are equally narrow minded as the dude who actually does mindless shredding.

Strike a balance. Certainly no one NEEDS to learn how to shred. But you should never look down on a fellow guitarist JUST because he likes to shred.

If you can actually shred, I respect you because not many can. But if you can't shred tastefully, I'm kinda turned off... If you say you refuse to learn any techniques because you don't want to be carried away with all that but rather you wanna concentrate on the song, so be it... but don't expect me to be interested in learning your songs or listening to your stuff for long because there's only so much you can do WITHOUT technique. Thats for me.

Back