Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz

subversion

duncan_tweak_fuzz.jpg

Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz
List: $130

The Tweak Fuzz is Seymour Duncan’s second pedal to date after the Pickup Booster made headlines particularly with the single coil toting community. As you can see Duncan’s philosophy in this sophomore offering is simplicity, not that the Pickup Booster was too difficult to use (it’s anything but). This particular pedal has a certain input from Blues Saraceno, we may know him as the shredder who helped Duncan conceive the PATB range of pickups. According to Saraceno, the conception was necessary because he’s too in love with his dad’s custom amps which feature very sweet on board fuzz but were too heavy to lug around. So is this yellow stomp box a direct replacement then?

Construction/ features
This Tweak Fuzz is a sturdy, well built pedal, housed in a rigid chassis, no concerns about fragility here. The pedal offers just 3 control capacity: Volume/ Tweak/ Gain. The highlight here is the Tweak feature which actually has 6 preset fuzz settings, each black ‘dot’ on the label represents one preset patch. Ready for tone?

Tone
The Tweak Fuzz volume & gain control aren’t as sensitive as I would have wanted it to be, there was a need to max both up to really hear a significant contribution to tone. The Tweak settings offers 2 extremes- one which caters to treble (extreme left), the other, a bass inclined setting (extreme right). All 6 preset patches are strictly fuzz definitions, if you are the metal type looking for to a hard distortion drive for your crunch staple; apologies, none is offered here.

The treble inclined patch is virtually devoid of bass. It gives off a fried type tone, very useful for solos in the neck pickup. With the gain at 50%, neck + mid single coils give off that very funky chord zing. At the other extreme, the significant bass output proved to be too much for humbucking guitars, things get very muddy, especially in the neck. Single coils fared better here, in fact, if you are patient enough with this pedal, your amp & a dedicated EQ unit, you can dial up a very Eric Johnson type drive- super smooth midrange. Sweet!

Last say
Are you expecting a radical fuzz unit from the Tweak Fuzz? Don’t, it’s not too different from the other offerings in the market. However, if you are fuzz inclined & would like to acquire that elusive Arbiter Fuzz Face type buzz or that grizzly Big Muff attack, it’s in this yellow pedal. Shred fans who are after explicit midrange definition & a clear bass response, you have to look elsewhere & you know there are other pedals to fulfill this need. The Tweak Fuzz as a stand alone pedal is quite an interesting unit; however, I’ve found it to be a tasteful booster pedal for solo bits, if you already prefer the inherent drive of your amp. Another interesting pedal from Mr. Duncan & company, the only tricky bit here is the battery access- you have to unscrew the padded base to replace depleted power.

SEMYOUR DUNCAN "Tweak Fuzz"

The "Afro Fuzz" and the "Tweak Fuzz" are of the same design. The "Afro Fuzz" is hand wired and uses both a Silicon transistor and a Germanium transistor and are costly. The "Tweak Fuzz" uses 2 Silicon transistors and is only a fraction of the cost. The pedals were identically tuned and the "Tweak Fuzz" was created for a more cost conscious player thanx to the magic of mass production. Go to the Seymour Duncan Website for more info and a videos of Blues talking about and demonstrating the "Tweak Fuzz".

A more detail information on da hand-made blues Saraceno pedals. Available at http://www.bluessaraceno.com/germanium.html. Thou da price is a killa. Is there anybody who owns dis variety of hand-made fuzz pedal 2 juztify da askin price by em? 8)

i'll plug it in on days when i get bored, really cool stuff this one. i only like fuzz-type drive from EHX & Duncan, yet to be impressed by any others...

i bought it before watching the Blues Saraceno demo so i thought if that chap has some good uses for it (ok, so he helpd conceive it...), so do i 8)

ho ho ho... yes....

I can see a good application in recording man... i can coax (don't even need to actually) a plethora of tones out of this. Very cool.

Sarceno used something like that on the Plaid album... at least, something with similiar tones....

I'm impressed that Seymore Duncan used a 3PDT (can't rem how it goes) switch - True Bypass.

The enclosure is sturdy and the battery holder is most innovative - doubles up as a support for the center of the pedal.

Unfortunatly, its a HEAVY pedal. And quite big.

oh? he already owned something similar during his Plaid days? always thought it was his dad-tweaked amp heads until the TF came round...

subversion said:
oh? he already owned something similar during his Plaid days? always thought it was his dad-tweaked amp heads until the TF came round...

He has... this...well, I don't know if during his plaid days he had his dad build a pedal for him, but right now, Dirty Boy effects (his dad's effect range right?) has this pedal that is basically the forefather of the tweak fuzz, like x4 the price. :D

Either way, the tweak fuzz was meant, just like his Dad's custom pedals for him, to emulate the tones of his amp heads - more convenient for studios lugging...

subversion said:
Tone
The Tweak Fuzz volume & gain control aren’t as sensitive as I would have wanted it to be, there was a need to max both up to really hear a significant contribution to tone.

Sub, I think I know why the vol knob isn't as sensitive - its gotta be (nearly) maxed to be @ unity gain right?

Its MADE that way so that when playing with higher gain (like you and I would) you can still experience the drastic tone changes it offers!

Playing with high gain, you put in the TF at unity gain, you have noise and the tone doesn't get changed much....

Lower the TF's vol, its all there, at a stomp, you go from a bone crushing chug to a whiney thinish whimper.

Brilliant design.

ShredCow said:
How u know!? Still having good fun with it man...

So selling the Mi Audio Tubezone liao?

Well u told me u goin Davis rite :lol: Anyway im not sellin it yet coz Subdecay LS is not in stock but i kinda like my TZ also but see if da LS can win me over. Juz dat itch for Tonefactor mule is gettin stronger :twisted:

ShredCow said:
Sub, I think I know why the vol knob isn't as sensitive - its gotta be (nearly) maxed to be @ unity gain right?

no problems at all! i've since plugged the TF into my CRATE Power Block- it's maxed out all the time & it rules! :supz:

Hey i must say the tweak fuzz is pretty useful. I bought one from ebenex the other day.....it especially gives off that sweet singing midrange when stacked with a TS9 tubescreamer turbo. I use my mxr 6 band eq to further smoothen out the mids and bass. :D

now its on my pedalboard permanently.... :D

Back