Recommendations for decent practice amp

edo83

Thinking of getting a decent practice amp for home use only, any good recommendations that softies came across lately? I'll not state my budget first, keep the info coming. If possible, state the why and nots of getting the particular amp? :D

i have an ibanez toneblaster 25R and i think their series is great (except maybe the 15R one too small)

the 25R is cheap and great for it's abilities. what does it have? the features are pretty standard, but no efx in, but got switch foot, reverb.

the clean sound isnt that awesome as like the marshalls or the vox amps, but it's good enough for room practice.

the overdrive is not too bad. i personally like their tone. when i use high trebles on my bridge pup, the sound is sweet and thick, quite nice. u can adjust the EQ settings to obtain quite cool tones, like maybe metal, or 70s rock. although u cant emulate the actual sounds of those marshalls or peaveys but it's still great for such an amp...

maybe u can try the 50R but i think it's too much for a practice amp. i use my volume at 8 in my room cause damn loud

my $0.02 8)

maybe just grab a 2nd hand 10 or 15W fr big names like marshall, peavey or roland? I saw in luther ads got ppl selling both peavey rage as well as blazer models. Maybe you can check them out. Blazer is one grade higher than Rage, cos it has reverb. I tried both before, their tone sounds decent.

okie my recommendations. for bedroom practice, not for gigging hor..

1. Roland Cube 30 - cos got fx onboard liaoz and they are pretty decent. plus lovely cleans and the mesa r'fier not bad also. sturdy and shiok to play.

2. Tech21 Trademark 10 - look very swee plus sound also very shiok. no fx but its basically a GT2 with a speaker cabinet...

3. Vox AD30VT - not for heavy metal, but i believe a pedal up front might solve that. nice classic sound, got fx on board also.

4. Fender princeton 650 (the new models dunno what its called sorry)- but i played it at sweelee the other day and can la...very nice also.

hope this helps.
cheers

Guess the most popular ones are Cube 30 and AD30VT - they've been mentioned in threads here...do a search..

Pier.

The Tech21 Trademark 10 does have efx... onboard spring reverb.

And don't just throw it off as a GT2-with-a-speaker amp... its got everythign you need for recording, XLR Out, Speaker Out, Line Out... there's even an EFX Loop... and not to mention a 3 band EQ (THE MIDS KNOB!!!) and killer killer analog amp modelling.

Its just expensive thats all... a very fine find. :)

Thanks guys for your inputs.

pier: i've done a search and read. Just hoping there are softies out there with more recommendations, before jumping into the purchase.

stillwater: the peavey rage was my 1st amp, using it as a standalone unit...the amp's od/dist is just terrible. Thanks for the intro anyway :)

fibredrive: thanks dude!

I'm currently deciding on whether to get a cube 30...or till another one convince me with a high headroom for clean tones and decent dist, cos sometimes i might be plugging in my gt2 and stuffs.

I recommend this. IMO the distortion you get from this small cube can kick enough asses already.

"Already hailed a classic, the MG15CDR adds a natural sounding Spring Reverb to all the outstanding features and tonal flexibility of the MG15CD.

- Twin channels - Clean & Overdrive
- Contour Control for dramatic mid sweep and 'scooping'
- Emulated Line Out jack and Headphone jack
- CD input which allows you to play along to your favourite discs
- Natural sounding Spring Reverb
- 8" custom-voiced speaker
- FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping)"

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=34

Retail at Luthers: $208

thanks heavenscloud. Tried the 15cdr at my friend's place....if only it had a footswitch function for its nice dist. I'll recommend the ministack in the same series...louder than its 15watt rating but also no footswitch function :x

I'm pretty curious about how loud can the cube30 go on its clean channel without breaking up. Anyone?

edo83 said:
thanks heavenscloud. Tried the 15cdr at my friend's place....if only it had a footswitch function for its nice dist. I'll recommend the ministack in the same series...louder than its 15watt rating but also no footswitch function :x

I'm pretty curious about how loud can the cube30 go on its clean channel without breaking up. Anyone?

Have you try the Marshall Ministack?? Is it louder than a 30 watt amp?? And which is better?? The MiniStack or the 30 watt amp??

Moggie..

I've tried the Ministack, can't say definitely if it beats a 30W amp but it's decent sounding. The clean channel sounds big enough, gain's pretty enough. The novelty of a "full stack" is quite nice too haha.....if you've got the dough to spare then could give it a try.

I did considered the Trademark10....but somehow the inability to have a footswitch between clean and gain channel irks me. If the amp's dist is good enough, then i would want a footswitch function to fully utilise the amp, though the efx loop is tempting :)

More inputs guys haha, So right now i'm having the Cube30 and Trademark10 in my shortlist.

Ok guys one amp you all have overlooked is the Vox Pathfinder 15R. Its 15 watts bt its loud and its cheap. But having said that the tone is freaking great for that price, it sounds similar to a tube amp, nice overdrive breakup. Its not the blow off your face kinda distortion, more voiced to a heavy overdrive kinda sound.

I personally haven heard any ibanez amps that i liked and the cheaper marshalls are not that fasntastic either but then thats just me, i kinda like the classic rock kinda sound.

But looking that your looking for a practice amp and not for gigging, i find the Vox very good but you have to try it out for yourself, might not be for everybody.

edo83 said:
I did considered the Trademark10....but somehow the inability to have a footswitch between clean and gain channel irks me. If the amp's dist is good enough, then i would want a footswitch function to fully utilise the amp, though the efx loop is tempting :)

I don't see why the lack of a footswitch should irk you. Its not like you don't have a mid control or something you know? And yes, the Trademark 10's distortion will blow you away.

www.tech21nyc.com go hear and believe.

Shredcow: i dunno why, but personally if i'm practicing along to a song or things like that......u can't just stop playing and bend over to click the button everytime u need to switch channels. Roll off volume or what, yes maybe.....but it's just me :lol:

I've tried the Trademark10 while auditioning the GT2 and Tri AC :)

Pathfinder is just about the warmest small solid state amp you can find now. The 10 and the 15R are both superb for the price.

If you gonna get marshall try to find the older VS ones. The cdr ones are quite horrid in my opinion.

marshallmg15ministack.jpg

i own the Marshall mini stack, it's an impressive performer for its size & asking price. IMO the MG series by Marshall has a more outgoing on-board drive than the AVT series. for the latter, the drive lacks intensity & sounds fuzzy instead but would sound great having a drive type booster in your set up, the BOSS DS-1 being an example.

i would still advocate for the Roland CUBE30 as a good practise tool 8)

If your using pedals to get your distortion and absolutly must get a Marshall get the AVT20, to my ears the clean channel sounds abt the best among the lower range Marshall amps. Alot warmer and the OD breakup when you push the preamp is quite good. With a decent boost pedal it would sound good. I agree with sub that the distortion channel is kinda lousy and sounds harsh and transitorish with the gain turn up pass 1 o'clock. I used to own one b4 i upgraded.

Latest posts

Back