Professional Home Recording.

jodev

Hi I would like to venture into home based recording. Currently I will be purchasing a pc with these specs.

Intel core 2 dual processor
MSI 945motherboard
160GB hard disk drive
DVD RW +/-
2GB RAM

My operating system will be windows XP professional. I will be using Nuendo as my recording software. Since I’m a newbie to recording, can anyone advice me what are the equipments I would need to get.

I will mainly be recording guitars and keyboards. I will not be recording drums anytime soon. Plus I want my guitars and keyboards to sound really awesome. Please advice me what I should get and where i can get them.

Thank you in advance!

hello jodev :) love how "venture","home","recording" and "pc" comes together in the same sentence. exact words i used 5 years ago.

here's what I'm using :

Intel C2D 6600 - 2.4ghz
Asus P5N (i think... or was it P5B)
err sata2 hdds no need to say la. 1.2 TB ... 320+320+320+320 actually you don't need that much. most of space used are for videos and archive.
2 GB DDR2 667mhz ram.
Antec Truepower 480Watt.

here's what I recommend.

at least 2.4ghz C2D

Gigabyte/ASUS mainboard! don't use MSI cos you'll find yourself going to
AMK Techplace 1 corbell often. (their service centre) , and you can believe me because my day job surrounds 4 PCs using MSI mainboard. and I've fixed at least 3 friends's pcs using MSI mainboard.

if possible get 2 hdds, 80gb + 80gb or 160+80gb. one of them used as a "scratch disk" (stores temporary audio editing files). and get SATA2 seagates. seagate are not a good brand but at least they got 5 years warranty. you can abuse those hdds big time.

XP + nuendo all good.

will catch up with you on MSN or something.
cheers

what makes you wanna get Nuendo?

* you will need to get an audio interface too. have you scout around?

I'm using nuendo coz i got the programme free from my friend. Thats the only reason why i'm using it.

did i seee freee? pirate! pirate! :twisted:

i suggest u start by reading tweakhead's guide at www.tweakheadz.com . b4 u start to get caught up in your dream world of getting awesome guitars and keyboard recordings.

actually that is exactly what they call piracy.
unless he makes a copy and he gives you the original. then you're not pirating. he is.

heheh. anyway I'll call ya now.

Nuendo needs a dongle to work. so if you friends has a original copy with a dongle. it cannot be a original one. a Dongle is a tool to store all your licenses of your software. so if you see anyone using a nuendo without a dongle. you know you;re seeing a pirate. ;)

nope dongle acts as proof of license that you own the software. and requires it to operate cubase.

ironically a friend of mine who has original cubase says the pirated version is more stable than the original.

I recommend getting a MOTU for a soundcard.

If you want better A/D convertors, you may try Pro Tools, RME Audio, and Apogee. They all have Firewire or USB2 options I think.

If you do not wish to spend too much, try to look for Mbox 2. The Mbox 2 Factory comes with a DAW software plus some solid effects plug-ins :lol:

speaking of which,

this will get deleted

but i have a MOTU 1224 Interface with Firewire PCI card.

selling cheap.

800 dollars neg.

8 analog in, 8 analog out, ebu aes, word clock etc.

buy it.

start a motu based studio :)

Back