pple here too 80s and 90s

soft said:
we cannot change a person's musical preference

true..well said..

from the way i see it early influences will play a big part on the style you play for example a person who's influenced by yjm will most probably play with neo-classical styles, take dhalif for example. Then again, to adapt to other styles would be better, making the player more versatile.

I think most of us here grew up either in the 80s or 90s (a couple of the greatest eras in rock/metal/punk history i might add) and so we're bound to play in a style influenced by our upbringing.

And songwriting definitely can be improved by a)learning to be more versatile b)giving more thought to details c)personal creativity.

Other than that, don't complain, there wont be modern sound if it wasnt for the past.

My Personal Favourites From Those 2 Eras:
The Culture Club(who doesnt love boy george?)
Eric Clapton(soulful)
Micheal Jackson(king of pop)
Bone Thugz And Harmony(deep lyrics, not ur typical rap group)
Death(chuckisagenious)
Slayer(whammybarthrashmayhem)
Obituary(ooooooold scchoooooolll)

And a dedication to all the fighting that's been going on here on SOFT:
softwar.jpg

i guess the greatest no-solo song in history would be knocking on heaven's door lol the original bob dylan version.

blahblah said:
what's your problem? if people like solos then let them be, if they dont like solos let them be. 8)

Aiyah hes just commenting on the general taste of the forumites, and hes right.

turbochicken said:
ohkay, what compelled me to initiate this topic is: .

hehehehehhe... dun be too hard on urself or others man. no comments does not mean there is no appreciation. or the ppl here don't dig ur stuff. chances are, there might be ppl here who does have a listen to the music u posted but dun find a need to post any comments/views...

and there is nothing wrong with that anyway. maybe to the vast majority here, it is something new or different that they might not instantly like/appreciate/understand/love. just be happy and appreciate the fact that there is a venue/space here for musicians to put their precious music/creation for others to have a listen to.

well i guess everyone has the liberty to like what they want to just because nobody listens to his om he goes round calling people narrow minded sheesh. :roll: i mean if someone likes his blink182 or steve vai then let them go indulge in whatever they fancy don't need to force your views on others right? :)

imho, i find the original thread is not on forcing views around, but on the quality and level of the posts around here....

and yes, i feel he is right, too.

And thus i guess, the best way to get less replies is to ask a technical question that's beyond some of those here that only read tons of info, but no real experience of things or anything that dont deal with much rock/metal/heavy music :lol:

echoist: hahaha, ok ok, i'll focus on being glad that there is an avenue to share music. :)

blahblah, such insinuation :(
if you've read through this thread enough you'll know i'm not saying it coz my om clocked no replies but rather, i'm just elaborating how i feel about the forums becoming as rigid as the musical mentality of the pple that shape them.

and about forcing ideas on others...tsktsk
see, i hate greens. to them, i'm a fussy eater. to me, it's just a preference.
but in actual fact, i'm considered faddish.

it's the truth. claiming preference is just a self consolation.
and i'm just stating my views. :)

brundisium said: and to the original topic, yes, it does get really boring sometime when all the topic can't seem to get out of the usual rock/metal/covers/solo/shred/image/recommendation and so on.

EXACTLY.

Same sentiments turbochicken.

Appreciate the 'new school' while giving due respect to the 'old school'. It's a matter of striking a balance. Easier said than done of course :)

This is a very flame prone topic, but some morden bands have solos in there, green day, velvet revolver, some other punk bands...

if you truly believe that music is art is a form of expression, then the thread topic would not have bothered you.

Personally I preferred music from the late '60s(Tim Buckley, Nick Drake, etc...) and '90s (90s alternative rock)

haha, this thread is going all the wrong way in which the thread starter want to bring across :lol:

what about bands with solo/no solo or prefered band???

:lol: :lol:

turbochicken, i know how you feel exactly :wink:

Lets talk about forums and 'general sentiments'. Take for instance the Ernie Ball forums in the states. The nature of politics there is that people are very partial to Ernie ball products. They very often diss other brands like Fender, Gibson and Ibanez. When they refer to their own products, they often sound like they are fanatics - and they are. It does get very sickening to read after a while, and felt like calling them koksuckers because the CEO and company staff do frequent and post in the same forum. But then again, should i bother?

Putting that into perspective, Soft.com isnt nearly as hardcore in our own respect. But I still generally agree with what TurboGoi said about the musical tastes and inclinations of the general populace of our forum. Well... Meedeeley Meedeeley Meedeeley Meedeeley Meedeeley Meeeee.....Shred on I guess!

Hey Vaiyen, you meant Shed yeah? Yeah i get rid of basses often. Hey wait, actually i dont. hmm... Can play quite fast but you should see Felytone! The music i play dosent favor the shredding bassist heh.

Back