pple here too 80s and 90s

I'm a big 80s/90s guy. You can take the man out of the 80s, but you can't take the 80s out of the man. Lol... I just love music from that era, being born then and all. First it was green day-ish punk, and when you thought couldn't get any worse they started with Nu-Metal and Pop Punk and Emo. Honestly, rock music is dead .... Nowadays music is Heavy Intro-->soft weird noises while vocalist sings in a soppy voice-->everything gets heavy chorus/vocalist screams like a crazy guy ...

Okay, you may flame me now...

I thought that scream your brains out kinda shit is dying now? The rock and good guitar playing is back already. And listening to Hoobastank, I'd say good songwriting is coming back too.

No flaming here lah. If pple can't take discussions, they should just surf other threads.

Cause psychadelic/classic rock is boring.

Good guitar playing is still here, always was, but it's not very popular yet.

And i don't listen to hoobastank and never will. Sorry. Not my type of music.

Rock music is still there. Take the Chinese
music market for eg. despite the many ballads and dance music, now and then there are still
some good rock songs.

As guitarists, technicality is unavoidable. So it's quite
natural that we tend to listen more of the classic rock
where there are more guitar parts. That's where it
helps us to improve.

But when it comes to songs or song writing itself, then it's
a totally different matter. The melody and lyrics
of the song is still the most important piece, at least
for myself :)

Many of my non-guitarist friends who listen to some of
my songs don't really listen to guitar solos. They
can even chat during the shredding section. Because it sounds the
same to them whether u do tapping arpeggios or sweeping arpeggios.

The Ocean By led zep is a simple, nice and do not have Ripping guitar solos or riffs that slays a thousand. just simple and nice.

but that is in the 70's. I started off listening to them before i picked up my guitar. But that does not mean i dun like rock that is more modern. For example................audioslave, good band. Tokyo Jihen is a funny and good jap band, not solos that goes up to 300bpm at all.

We all love music. But especially like music from a particular era.

Hey DeathCubeK, i totally agree with you man. 60s/70s was where real music was man. Everything was based on the love of music not image and money making.

any form of music is real as long as the one listening like it......

and to the original topic, yes, it does get really boring sometime when all the topic can't seem to get out of the usual rock/metal/covers/solo/shred/image/recommendation and so on.

While the 80s and the 90s are good time, it seem funny that most people who was growing up and into the music of that period of time have move on(or at least didnt talk about it on the forums) and the only ones dwelling on it are people who missed out living that period as a music lover...

imho...

colin88 said:
Hey DeathCubeK, i totally agree with you man. 60s/70s was where real music was man. Everything was based on the love of music not image and money making.

you must've looked at the wrong person, i never said that. Although i greatly respect guys like Hendrix and Page for setting the bar for future great guitarists.

They
can even chat during the shredding section. Because it sounds the

Yeah i understand, they just dont get how hard it is to do shredding solos as compared to play, power chords.

For example................audioslave, good band.

I salute audioslave as one of the few modern bands to come up with good material. But their new album quite disappointing, the self titled was still insanely good. Especially i am the highway played live ... Tom morello just kicks the crazy solo with distortion and wah, unlike the studio one ... But they are all all 40+ except for Tim commerford, so that makes me wonder if youngsters nowadays can come up with good stuff, cause all the ppl i listen to already 30+ to 40+

how old is tim commerford? actually i m not sure if u consider audioslave a modern band, but i do. cause it's just rage against the machine without zack de la roacha but with a new vocalist, chris cornwell is it?

Soundgarden's ex vocalist, Chris Cornell. And i think Slave is really really different from RATM in so many ways. Yeah they're modern la, but they're old. Commerford is probably 33+, like zack, since they went to the same elementary school ...

seriously off.

ohkay, what compelled me to initiate this topic is:

http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules....c&t=8296&sid=f9fd0127ef4d26af35b1f8199f53a3a2

i've posted it for days and no comments still!

and any GUITAR track or videoofyourselfplaying, pple zoom to listen/watch/reply.

i dig gunsNroses, metallica(black album's the last), DT, ironmaiden(before they switched vocalist), offspring, linkinpark etc but i also enjoy smoother sounds such as chinese commercial and a cappella or groovier elements like downtempo, electronica, dance, new age and experimental.

and i engage myself in related discussions and OMs here in soft.

so i don't see why pple have to rush to boost the already too-many guitarists and be so apprehensive in promoting other kinds.

turbochicken:
nah, sometimes it just boils down to interest. Nothing to do with 'apprehensive' or 'boosting' any genre. If by looking at the title of a thread, I realise that I am not interested in it, I won't bother clicking it. Not that I, or others, have no interest in anything outside of 80s rock/metal of course. I, for example, still dig some chinese pop and have also formed a Mayday cover band.

Maybe its just your luck that you work in a tiny tiny niche. But y'know, you shouldn't compel your environment to adapt to you. If you want to be popular, you have to adapt to your enironment. But if you truly enjoy what you're doing, then it really doesn't matter if you're the only person on earth who appreciates it.

Back